Monitor Calibration Tool

andeelym

Aug 27, 2009
Hi folks,

Just bought a Dell U2410 and I think I would want to do my own calibration.

Can anyone recommend me a tool such as Spyder but which version is suitable for me? My setup is a notebook with the U2410 connected. I use both display at the same time thru stretch desktop mode so I need the calibration tool to be able to support multiple displays.

Thanks!

AFAIK most (if not all) of the current calibration softwares support multiple monitors.
Get the spyder3elite. it's quite affordable.

Check with cathay, maybe they can make arrangement for you if you buy a calibrator from them -

WPAS and Cathay will be organizing a monitor calibration and prints critiques workshop.

Date: 23.6.2010
Time: 7.30pm - 9pm (90 mins)
Venue: #01-07/08 Peninsula Plaza

btw to calibrate the U2410 is not as easy as other monitor.

AFAIK most (if not all) of the current calibration softwares support multiple monitors.
Get the spyder3elite. it's quite affordable.

Well I guess that would be the only one.

Check with cathay, maybe they can make arrangement for you if you buy a calibrator from them -

WPAS and Cathay will be organizing a monitor calibration and prints critiques workshop.

Date: 23.6.2010
Time: 7.30pm - 9pm (90 mins)
Venue: #01-07/08 Peninsula Plaza

btw to calibrate the U2410 is not as easy as other monitor.

What kind of arrangements? Free calibration? I am not free to go there on that day leh, but is cathay as in cathay photo?

can consider spyder3pro if you got a tigher budget.
but do note. in windows for dual monitor calibration. your graphics cards needs to have dual LUT so as to be able to load the 2 profiles for the monitors.
Most desktop graphics card no longer have dual LUT anymore, and i suppose, notebooks won't have it either. (you gotta check with your notebook manufacturer / graphics manufactuerer)

Hi folks,

Just bought a Dell U2410 and I think I would want to do my own calibration.

Can anyone recommend me a tool such as Spyder but which version is suitable for me? My setup is a notebook with the U2410 connected. I use both display at the same time thru stretch desktop mode so I need the calibration tool to be able to support multiple displays.

Thanks!

U2410 is a wide gamut monitor and I heard from other forum that you will need a spectrofotometer to calibrate a wide gamut monitor. This put me thinking again of getting the X-rite i1 Display 2, as I am not sure is it a spectrofotometer.

BTW anyone calibrated his U2410 with spyder or i1?

U2410 is a wide gamut monitor and I heard from other forum that you will need a spectrofotometer to calibrate a wide gamut monitor. This put me thinking again of getting the X-rite i1 Display 2, as I am not sure is it a spectrofotometer.

BTW anyone calibrated his U2410 with spyder or i1?

i1:thumbsup:spyder:thumbsd: cannot make it.

i1:thumbsup:spyder:thumbsd: cannot make it.

Does that mean that you have calibrated your U2410 with an i1. Is the resultant effect ok?
I am looking at the Display LT or Display2. Which one are you using?

What is your end requirement/destination?

print or just view?

or

WYSIWYG?

Mean: What you see is what you get. (from the world of graphic/photo arts that require precision colour tone etc for reproduction)

You need to input a set of std Reference, set to a std Visual/Readout, and have a std Printout to confirm.

If not, then we usually address it as "What you see is what you guess":)

Does that mean that you have calibrated your U2410 with an i1. Is the resultant effect ok?
I am looking at the Display LT or Display2. Which one are you using?

Read the Colorimeter Review by TFT Central.

If you need more control, get the Display2. alternatively, get the LT now and upgrade to Display2 later, if you need it, you may also buy 3rd party software to use with the i1 colorimeter. for instance, the basICColor 4.

difference between a Colorimeter and Spectrophotometer

if i understand correctly, to calibrate a monitor, you do not need a Spectrophotometer. Unless you also want to profile the printer and/or scanner, etc.

Last edited:
Read the Colorimeter Review by TFT Central.

If you need more control, get the Display2. alternatively, get the LT now and upgrade to Display2 later, if you need it, you may also buy 3rd party software to use with the i1 colorimeter. for instance, the basICColor 4.

difference between a Colorimeter and Spectrophotometer

if i understand correctly, to calibrate a monitor, you do not need a Spectrophotometer. Unless you also want to profile the printer and/or scanner, etc.

colorimeter cost between 3k to 9k.
spectrophotometer 12 to 25k

:sweat:

My needs is to have the monitor displaying the "correct" RGB so that will i send my photo to the lab, I can get a print that is as close as possible to what I see on my monitor.

But I heard that wide gamut monitor need special tool to calibrate. Anyone can clear the air.

Below is extract from the forum I read on yesterday.

gorky

Posted: 1st May 2010, Sat, 13:50 Post subject: Re: How to setup Dell U2410 monitor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

megaloman wrote:
First of all it allows me to select “colours” -standard, multimedia, game, warm, cold, sRGB, Adobe RGB and custom - which one should I use?

Some experts suggest using custom values with U2410: R100, G93,B99
Other settings to default, brightness: 0%. You should also download a color profile from the manufacturer's site.

This won't replace proper calibration, but probably can help.

Quote:

When I select AdobeRGB everything seems to be oversaturated...

You have bought a wide-gamut monitor and you have to live with it, at least until OS vendors would implement proper color management for every displayed element, including dektop icons.
When working with graphics, use color management aware applications.

Quote:

Second it allows me to set Gamma - PC (assuming Windows, I use Linux) or Mac - when I choose Mac, it's brighter.

Use PC.

Quote:

I have a ColorVisions' Spyder which I have used to calibrate my monitor and it really looks great - does it really matter which mode I use if I want to calibrate my monitor anyway?

The Spyder is a colorimeter, designed to use with normal-gamut monitors.
Don't use it if you don't want to de-calibrate your monitor.
To calibrate a wide-gamut panel you will need a spectrofotometer.

Last edited:
My needs is to have the monitor displaying the "correct" RGB so that will i send my photo to the lab, I can get a print that is as close as possible to what I see on my monitor.

But I heard that wide gamut monitor need special tool to calibrate. Anyone can clear the air.

Below is extract from the forum I read on yesterday.

gorky

Posted: 1st May 2010, Sat, 13:50 Post subject: Re: How to setup Dell U2410 monitor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

megaloman wrote:
First of all it allows me to select “colours” -standard, multimedia, game, warm, cold, sRGB, Adobe RGB and custom - which one should I use?

Some experts suggest using custom values with U2410: R100, G93,B99
Other settings to default, brightness: 0%. You should also download a color profile from the manufacturer's site.

This won't replace proper calibration, but probably can help.

Quote:

When I select AdobeRGB everything seems to be oversaturated...

You have bought a wide-gamut monitor and you have to live with it, at least until OS vendors would implement proper color management for every displayed element, including dektop icons.
When working with graphics, use color management aware applications.

Quote:

Second it allows me to set Gamma - PC (assuming Windows, I use Linux) or Mac - when I choose Mac, it's brighter.

Use PC.

Quote:

I have a ColorVisions' Spyder which I have used to calibrate my monitor and it really looks great - does it really matter which mode I use if I want to calibrate my monitor anyway?

The Spyder is a colorimeter, designed to use with normal-gamut monitors.
Don't use it if you don't want to de-calibrate your monitor.
To calibrate a wide-gamut panel you will need a spectrofotometer.

not really. read here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t33346.html