Money Changer - Egyptian pounds

Mok CS

Jan 6, 2007
Hi all,

I will be going to Egypt next month for holidays. Do you guys know which money changer in Singapore exchange Egyptian pounds?

Look forward for your advice.

Thanks much.

Cheers. ;)

5 years ago when i went, it give better rate to change the Egyptian pound in in Egypt using USD.

I suggest you bring US dollars to Egypt, and change there with the USD. Better exchange rates too. Additionally do keep in handy some small 1 dollar USD notes, useful for tipping (when you need to).

Hope this helps.

Thanks all for the advice. Do I do the exchange in the airport itself? Thought would be good to have some in case of needs after touch down.

Thanks much. :)

Cheers.

Thanks all for the advice. Do I do the exchange in the airport itself? Thought would be good to have some in case of needs after touch down.

Cheers.

Depends, I followed a tour group, so I change with the guide (black market rate) which is better.

Thanks. :)

I just went to Egypt last month. I suggest to change to Egyptian Pounds and keep lots of loose change. I believe the rates in Singapore would still be better due to strong S$. Furthermore, if you need to change S$ to US$ and then to EP, you do lose a bit on exchange rates. I do not think you are able to change from S$ to EP when you are in Egypt(not sure though).

In any case, you can use your credit card and also use cashplus atm to withdraw cash in EP from your bank account in Singapore. You may want to find out on the bank charges. ATMs are common in Egypt.

Most of the local transaction is in EP. Of course there are some establishments that will accept USD but I managed to get by with just EP. You need the loose change for tips. Best is prepare lots of 5 EP. 1 click of people on the streets = 5 pounds. This is cheaper than 1 USD.

Dunno why you choose to go during July/August. The temperature is soaring. Expect higher than 50C in Aswan and Luxor. Bring thin long sleeves and a large hat to cover your head, face and back of neck. You need a good pair of sunglasses too. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just went to Egypt last month. I suggest to change to Egyptian Pounds and keep lots of loose change. I believe the rates in Singapore would still be better due to strong S$. Furthermore, if you need to change S$ to US$ and then to EP, you do lose a bit on exchange rates. I do not think you are able to change from S$ to EP when you are in Egypt(not sure though).

In any case, you can use your credit card and also use cashplus atm to withdraw cash in EP from your bank account in Singapore. You may want to find out on the bank charges. ATMs are common in Egypt.

Most of the local transaction is in EP. Of course there are some establishments that will accept USD but I managed to get by with just EP. You need the loose change for tips. Best is prepare lots of 5 EP. 1 click of people on the streets = 5 pounds. This is cheaper than 1 USD.

Dunno why you choose to go during July/August. The temperature is soaring. Expect higher than 50C in Aswan and Luxor. Bring thin long sleeves and a large hat to cover your head, face and back of neck. You need a good pair of sunglasses too. Good luck.

Thanks very much for the advice. Well, I will there with a friend who is on a business trip, can't do much with the selection of dates. Anyway, will be just us and the local guide cum driver, I suppose we will spend most time in the vehicle except visiting the attractions. One thing good about this trip is that we can leave the attraction once we are done and need not wait for "others". So, will try to spend less time outdoor...

Btw, as you have mentioned, "the rates in Singapore are better", can you advise where could I find those money changer?

Thanks very much for the advice. Well, I will there with a friend who is on a business trip, can't do much with the selection of dates. Anyway, will be just us and the local guide cum driver, I suppose we will spend most time in the vehicle except visiting the attractions. One thing good about this trip is that we can leave the attraction once we are done and need not wait for "others". So, will try to spend less time outdoor...

Btw, as you have mentioned, "the rates in Singapore are better", can you advise where could I find those money changer?

Sorry. can't help you with that as I am not in Singapore. Ask around the money changers in advance. I am sure they can prepare the amount even if they don't do that currency.

Thanks. :)