Mold on books and micro bugs on lens


pete2322

New Member
Oct 8, 2009
95
0
0
#1
I keep most of my camera magazine and photography related books. I've recently found out that to my horror they get infested by mold and some microbugs.

Those microbugs is smaller than begbug, easily mistaken as a dust. Once you touch it, it'll jump. After flipping the books for a while, all of a sudden I felt itchy all over my body.

Even the lens box was not escape from the infestation. Some got mold other got these dust like microorganism.

Thus my questions is if let say the lens somehow was infected by these organism, would it die on the dry box or it'll hatch on some other clean lens?


Then it's safe if the books is keep together with the lens in the dry box?

Any advice how to get rid of the mold?

If I put it under the sunlight, then the book would be discolored. Anyway has experienced this and successfully killed them?

Or most of you guys just throw those magazine after reading them?

And how do you keep your lens boxes?
 

Rashkae

Senior Member
Nov 28, 2005
19,105
12
0
#2
I keep the lenses, not the boxes. What you see are most likely mites. The little jumpers I've seen too - might be a small species of flea or chigger, hard to say.

I would NOT keep the books in the dry cabinet! Books are just one HUGE nest for mold and mites. Only a brand new, mint book may be "safe".
 

pete2322

New Member
Oct 8, 2009
95
0
0
#3
Rashkae, so you advice me to just throw those infected books rather than keeping them? Kind of heavy heart to throw it but when I browse thru it I get itchy all over my body :-(

Thus you mean it's wrong to assume that by putting those infected books they'll die?
Instead I'd be exposing my lens to those bugs?
 

Rashkae

Senior Member
Nov 28, 2005
19,105
12
0
#5
Thus you mean it's wrong to assume that by putting those infected books they'll die?
Instead I'd be exposing my lens to those bugs?
You want little bugs crawling around inside your lenses? Go ahead...

FYI, it'll take a long time for the sun to bleach your magazines. I suggest a cloth, a can of Lysol/Dettol, and cleaning up your room!!!
 

Top Bottom