Modular Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

theRBK

May 16, 2005
RED has thrown down the gauntlet... will the other manufacturers take up the challenge of modularizing their cameras...

Red Digital Stills and Motion Camera (warning: page will cause your wallets to shrivel...)

Last edited:
Err..... does that 'THINK' fire Plasma or Laser beam ?? :bigeyes:

Err..... does that 'THINK' fire Plasma or Laser beam ?? :bigeyes:

THINK? You mean 'brain' right?

RED has always been to imaging, what Carl's Jr. is to the Shrooms burger.

What in the world are those red buttons? So many of them...

It is such a cool concept.

Definitely will give Canon and Nikon some threat to their professional photog market.

Have you guys seen the biggest digital back they are offering??

261 MEGAPIXELS!!!!

Looks like a lego system. If only the big players also offers something like these.
The idea of a complete swappable system especially the sensor unit is very enticing.

THINK? You mean 'brain' right?

I think he meant that " THING " fire Plasma or Laser beam

Ryan

if only they can come up with a 12mp digital back set for that. Maybe the price will drop to more affordable levels. Those with Canon and Nikon systems will really be loving it as they use both systems' lenses.

Did anyone see the price of the full-frame 36x24 sensor? OMG! USD12,000 for brain only.

The pricing of the modular system makes me wonder if it is more economical ( for the 35mm user ) to buy an integrated camera system ( like the nikons / canons for example ) and get a new one every few years, than to get a new sensor or a new modular part for a big tag.

Ryan

when i saw the ad..it felt like some sci-fic movie .....cant believe such stuff will exist ever...lol

The day i found out Red was coming..my whole life was in a mess...hmm, back to the same question, with the current lens at hand...how to match the resolution power of the sensor..?

Saw myself with a D4 next time....my life is in a mess....cause i dun know if that will happen in future..

The pricing of the modular system makes me wonder if it is more economical ( for the 35mm user ) to buy an integrated camera system ( like the nikons / canons for example ) and get a new one every few years, than to get a new sensor or a new modular part for a big tag.

Ryan
but the beauty of the modular system is that one only need to buy what one wants... if one is perfectly happy with the resolution of the sensor but wants a new higher definition screen when it becomes available, one can just change that... or a bigger screen... or a different storage system... or a different lens mount... faster auto-focus... etc... :)

one more thing... for those interested, the owner of RED also posted some further info on the new systems... apologies to Forum Admins for pointing to another forum... the owner of RED chose to pass the info along in their forum...

one more thing to add... RED has a generous trade-in program for owners of current models to purchase new models... what they call "Obsolescence Obsolete"...

Gosh this is like one crazy idea, DSMC, possible to reconfigure into a DSLR. Wonder the size and weight of the configured RED DSMC is suitable for daily usage. 4mp to 200+mp, man that is mad. Imagine the storage of 3K ~ 12K motion footage, crazy crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.