modem sending out more than receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwatch

Mar 18, 2002
-
Visit site
am i being hacked?

my modem keeps sending data out even when no webpages are opened.

any comp experts want to advise me on what i can do, should do or should not do?

jasonpgc said:
Restart your PC and see whether it occurs again.

yup..sends out data the minute i log on..any preventive or precautionary measures i should take?

or how to track down where data is sent?

A lot of microsoft hidden files have the ability to send information back to microsoft and it is the same with other kinds of programs such as ICQ and yahoo messenger. Some cookies as well as adware programs also do this. You don't have to turn them on, but the minute they detect a network connection, they will attempt to send data and then receive data again.

Use a firewall program (Syquest is not bad and freeware) and it will tell you what is trying to access the internet, it will also ask if you would want to block it. Programs like norton also schedule their liveupdates to run automatically and in the background.

An example is when using XP, the msn explorer and windows messenger will always attempt to access the internet to look for updates. this would entail sending information about your computer to the updates server and if you allowed the programs to automatically update then they will do this in the background.

The other thing is a virus/worm... this one is easy, run a virus fix (if you know which worn) http://www.symantec.com or scan your comp with a virus scanner program and see what you come up with.

fastwatch said:
yup..sends out data the minute i log on..any preventive or precautionary measures i should take?

or how to track down where data is sent?

More likely than not, you are experiencing spywares and adwares. You will surprised by the amount of rubbish that surfing the internet can get you.

Or chances are, your modem is having trouble connecting to the network... Just a wild guess.. don't :hung: me..

Goto Command prompt and type the following:

c:\netstat -an

This will bring up a list of active connections. If your system is not doing anything, you shd not be seeing the "Established" connection with an IP pegged to it.

If the IP is not familiar, ie not from your ISP, goto www.samspade.org, key in the IP address and click on do stuff. This will perform a traceroute for you and you should be able to establish where this IP came from. Samspade is very good as it is able to perform a DNS resolution for you......ie, if there are certain sites which you cannot access due to some proxy problems, you can convert the DNS into an IP and key this into your URL address.

If the source comes from somewhere else other than your ISP, ICQ, Yahoo messenger, MSN, etc, better get yourself some programs like ZoneAlarm, Tiny Firewall, Ad-Aware, etc from www.download.com

thanks guys :) ..will try to do a virus check and dl the softwares recommended and see how it turns out.

hanoman said:
Spyware inside your comp? Download adaware and run it. This prog will search any spyware inside yu comp and remove it for you. DL link: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Yes, it is a good habit to run this little software once in a while (maybe once a week/mth).

As you surf, some websites may plant those nasty little apps or such to track your surfing habits.
May result in you getting a lot more spam too.

A good desktop firewall and antivirus program is also handy

(Last time, DBS offered a special promo of $12.90 for a Licensed Copy of McAfee Viruscan 7.0 w/ McAfee Firewall at Challenger.)

A very good offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.