Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bsmilie:

If all these models in CS have that superior "X-factor", they wont be here for us to shoot... they'd be instead signing autographs, and their faces could be up there on channel5.
Or we might have to pay thousands to shoot them... instead of S$30~100.

student said:
Sean Connery

I concur..how can I forget him :)

one more to the list ...AL PACINO ?

AhV said:
I concur..how can I forget him :)

one more to the list ...AL PACINO ?

Yes! And Jack Nicholson.

waiaung said:
:bsmilie:

If all these models in CS have that superior "X-factor", they wont be here for us to shoot... they'd be instead signing autographs, and their faces could be up there on channel5.
Or we might have to pay thousands to shoot them... instead of S$30~100.

You have a point there. I once asked a friend how much it would cost me to engage Christy Turlington for a half day shoot. I can't remember the exact amount he quoted, but it was something like USD 10-20000.00.

So, let us forget this issue call X-factor.

The fact is, with exceptions, most of the models featured here are very good looking. There is nothing wrong with their looks. My feeling is that there is a sense of deja vu every time one looks at them because, with exceptions, they are always taken in the same way. I think the reason why images turned out the way they were is due to the mind-set of the photographers, not a problem of the models.

some local models i dont mind look at over and over again. does that mean that they have the x-factor from my point of view? :think:

aiya...who cares x-factor or not. as long as look good and appeals to you can liao. :lovegrin:

student said:
You have a point there. I once asked a friend how much it would cost me to engage Christy Turlington for a half day shoot. I can't remember the exact amount he quoted, but it was something like USD 10-20000.00.

So, let us forget this issue call X-factor.

The fact is, with exceptions, most of the models featured here are very good looking. There is nothing wrong with their looks. My feeling is that there is a sense of deja vu every time one looks at them because, with exceptions, they are always taken in the same way. I think the reason why images turned out the way they were is due to the mind-set of the photographers, not a problem of the models.
Student,

Christy Turlington's X-factor is one that appeals to millions, some other models, their X-factors appeal to a few, or maybe, even only one, the photographer. Hence, one can charge US$10-20K, while the others, we can afford to shoot.

If we have to forget about X-factor, it would be quite depressing for a photographer to have to give up the search for that one model who has it! Definately, it would be very depressing for me, at least.

madmacs said:
some local models i dont mind look at over and over again. does that mean that they have the x-factor from my point of view? :think:

aiya...who cares x-factor or not. as long as look good and appeals to you can liao. :lovegrin:
I will agree and disagree with you. Looking over and over at a picture/a model, is one step towards the X-factor. Looks good and appealing is definately another step. however, to get to the X-factor, it is the ability of the picture or model to draw from the audience an emotional response, talk to the audience, and keep the audience on their toes wanting more. X-factor is not a precise science, I don't believe anyone can accurately define it, and it is a very personal thing.

student said:
Sometimes the lack of "X-factor" may not be the fault of the models, but the fault of photographers who chose to photogrph them that way.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: true true true

ortega said:
wah this topic brings back memories

where is he anyway? the other guy said that he can teach the people here how to get the x-factor, which is very different from what Alias7 said.

anyway the x-factor is a certain look that was captured and is the work of both the photographer and sitter. One day you have it and another it is gone.

as witness said "i tink it means the WOW! factor"

this more or less sums it up

aiyo! ask Tommy la! Tommy has the hands-on to what X-Factor's all about!! he wanted to show us all how to 'capture' that illusive thing called X-Factor some time back...
its been a while!!! ;)

go tommy go!

Deadpoet said:
I will agree and disagree with you. Looking over and over at a picture/a model, is one step towards the X-factor. Looks good and appealing is definately another step. however, to get to the X-factor, it is the ability of the picture or model to draw from the audience an emotional response, talk to the audience, and keep the audience on their toes wanting more. X-factor is not a precise science, I don't believe anyone can accurately define it, and it is a very personal thing.

hmm? er..which part you agree or disagree with me? cos i really have no idea what x-factor means. like mattlock said its some marketing term throw around by industry folks who want to show that they are in the know or something.

but i think you are right - its a personal thing. for someone it might be the x-factor (??) and to others it might be the y-factor (y as in yuck!) :bsmilie:

Deadpoet said:
If we have to forget about X-factor, it would be quite depressing for a photographer to have to give up the search for that one model who has it! Definately, it would be very depressing for me, at least.

I am probably speaking out of ignorance here, but I heard of celebrity and fashion photographers looking for that one break to chance upon a yet undiscovered model who have that "look" (X-factor) and launch her career, and his own of course.

It seems to be that the primary concern of these photographers is not photography, but career. Which is legitimate. But for me, I am interested in people and using the photography medium to create images of these people whom I chance to meet (either models, or friends etc). Images which I hope can call "art", and hopefully which I can say "I am in this image".

The images I have admired and continue to admire are not images of models with the "X-factor", but unknowns photographed with such sensitivity and feelings that they make the images of Turlington, Crawford and Campbell look so passe' and ordinary.

So I do not look for models with "x-factor". In actual fact, I look at myself and who I am. Per chance I meet one with such qualities that transcend the ordinary, I will be grateful. But if not, it doesn't bother me the least bit.

student said:
The images I have admired and continue to admire are not images of models with the "X-factor", but unknowns photographed with such sensitivity and feelings that they make the images of Turlington, Crawford and Campbell look so passe' and ordinary.

To me, this is your X-factor. I agree the common defination of X-factor has a very commercial bend to it, but from those people's perspective, business bottom line rules the world. To photographer like us, our defination and expectation should be much different.

student said:
So I do not look for models with "x-factor". In actual fact, I look at myself and who I am. Per chance I meet one with such qualities that transcend the ordinary, I will be grateful. But if not, it doesn't bother me the least bit.

I admire your attitude. I for one, must confess the search for this elusive thing can be maddenning!

Deadpoet said:
To me, this is your X-factor. I agree the common defination of X-factor has a very commercial bend to it, but from those people's perspective, business bottom line rules the world. To photographer like us, our defination and expectation should be much different.

I admire your attitude. I for one, must confess the search for this elusive thing can be maddenning!

difficulty level on par w/ searching 4 ideal mate?:sweat: :sweat:

The "X-factor" only matters in a commercial context. Models and actors that have "it" possess strong market appeal, meaning that the maximum number of the public find them attractive and/or identify their image with certain characteristics.

A photographer does not need a model with "it" to create a powerful image. For instance, many competitions are won by pictures of sad, wrinkled old ladies. Black and white images that are more shadow than light can convey many different and powerful feelings. Of course, the effect of these kind of images is often subject to individual interpretation and taste.

However, when a company needs a face to represent their product, they need maximum impact, maximum mass appeal and maximum viewer recall. This is where the X-factor comes in. Models with the X-factor can be relied upon to generate this kind of appeal even when working with "ordinary" photographers or even when photographed by the press at events under less than perfect conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.