models & product shoots (Commercial)?

edenK

Apr 28, 2010
Hi all,

I'm interested to know more about commercial product shoots with models.
What should photographers look out for when doing product shoots with models (Commercial)?

1. Photo release papers for models so photos can be used for advertisement?
2. What is the market rate for a freelance models?
etc etc etc?

Not sure if its a trade secret or not but i just can't find significant info on the local scene so hope gurus here can enlighten me. =)

I think first things first, you need to have a registered business or company to take on commercial jobs, coz if something goes wrong, the client needs someone to sue! :)

Definitely, you need a signed model release contract before featuring your model in the advertisement.
Market rate.... why not check out sites like modelmayhem and enquire about the individual rates? I suppose it would differ greatly depending on experience and popularity of a particular model.

Hi all,

I'm interested to know more about commercial product shoots with models.
What should photographers look out for when doing product shoots with models (Commercial)?

1. Photo release papers for models so photos can be used for advertisement?
2. What is the market rate for a freelance models?
etc etc etc?

Not sure if its a trade secret or not but i just can't find significant info on the local scene so hope gurus here can enlighten me. =)

There are no significant info because there is no fixed market rate. Some models are willing to do it for free TFCD, ranging to some who will cost you a few thousand for a day's work and all expenses you have to pay for too... so there is no real market rate.

If you pay for models, it is not longer a photo release, but a contract which will specify all terms. Contact your lawyer to draft you a proper one.

Thanks for the replies!

I guess a proper contract is still needed to protect our arses from rogue models.

unless u know the standard rates for different type of commercial work, u are better off looking for a model from an established agency. they can give u a better idea of whats the pricing and they will have contracts as well.