Models and photo shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.
student said:
Sorry Lydia.

Way, way, OT. But I had to reply to this post!

My reply?

The comments are so *!?&^%+@^&()_ that it I wonder what is going on in the !@#$%^&*()_+?????

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Canonised said:
To me, nothing will happen after i die .... i just gone .... that's all.

LOL

no lar, after we die, we dun "just gone" we actually decompose and well "ferment-as some would say"

and while we are busy fermenting and letting the rest of the bugs crawl thru our eye sockets and maybe help themselves to a rare big feast, we are also giving other living things life and our nutrients then would be helping make that part of the soil alot more fertile and beautiful living organisms can fluorish then .... ....:sweat:

:sweat: okay, hope nobody ate lunch liao

MAJOR OT LIAO!!!!!

Lets just wait for Gravemaid's announcements about what she wanna do :)
No point pre judging anybody, coz nobody owes anybody anything. :)

ultimately, we'll just ferment .....:rolleyes:

smallaperture said:
Of course, there are those who go to the extreme - like some B&W blurr stuff and ask-you- to-guess-what-it-is type and they call it art

:dunno: hmmm who are those people? oh must be the uncivilised one who cant use proper words to reply your post.

dunwackme said:
:dunno: hmmm who are those people? oh must be the uncivilised one who cant use proper words to reply your post.

Sometimes "non-words" say more than "words".

dunwackme said:

Sometimes "non-words" speak more than "words".

Only partially civilised and poorly educated ones do not know this!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

student said:
Sometimes "non-words" say more than "words".
hahaha of course i understand non-words say more than words ... but its only sometimes not this time.
ah ... got you there eh? now we know who is the uncivilised one :bsmilie:

dunwackme said:
hahaha of course i understand non-words say more than words ... but its only sometimes not this time.
ah ... got you there eh? now we know who is the uncivilised one :bsmilie:

You understand?! Thank goodness! Praise G..!

I do understand that some people do have temporary insanity! It is OK. Fret not! There is still hope for you!

Of course when such people are in these "temporary insanity mode" they do behave like paritally uncivilised and half educated types!
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Lydia: Really sorry for being OT! OT! OT!OT!

student said:
You understand?! Thank goodness! Praise G..!

I do understand that some people do have temporary insanity! It is OK. Fret not! There is still hope for you!

Of course when such people are in these "temporary insanity mode" they do behave like paritally uncivilised and half educated types!
:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Lydia: Really sorry for being OT! OT! OT!OT!

the full time uncivilised one talking bout partially uncivilised ones :bsmilie:

I +5573, no need +1 so slow :)

plsoong said:
+1 before close thread

hmm.. :) will admin close this thread soon if it's OT? Just wondering... Anyway, thanks for all your positive and supportive comments.

Jemapela said:
Finally, someone has come up with this wonderful idea -- dancers, themed shoots, and exclusivity.

For years, I've noticed many S'porean photographers doing group model shoots, and worse, so often doing and repeating pretty-girl-smiling-in-the-park-wearing-fashion themes. Some of these characters carry a top grade camera and label themselves as pros... woah... that's just "great".

I look forward to seeing something which rocks and kicks ass!
Yo!

I, like you, appreciate something different and strive to do something different once in a while.

However, since you mentioned pros, by my understanding, professionals sell photographs they take to paying customers, which means, the photographs have to be aceepted and hopefully well received, by the customers.

If the professional caters to the mass market, it's highly unlikely that that he is able to come up with work that's radically different to cater to the mass. perhaps to the NICHE, but not the mass.

my point: there can be very well-taken and well-received images by the mass even tho it's been shot to death. one good example (the industry i'm in) is in weddings and events. :)

If indeed i really go off on a tangent with my style and do radically different images, i need to have my niche market to feed me. otherwise, mostly, i will shoot "conventional".

perhaps in my free time, i would love to do something different, such as what this thread implies, but that has nothing to do with whether i'm a professional photographer or not, right?

cheers!! :)

jOhO said:
Yo!

I, like you, appreciate something different and strive to do something different once in a while.

However, since you mentioned pros, by my understanding, professionals sell photographs they take to paying customers, which means, the photographs have to be aceepted and hopefully well received, by the customers.

If the professional caters to the mass market, it's highly unlikely that that he is able to come up with work that's radically different to cater to the mass. perhaps to the NICHE, but not the mass.

my point: there can be very well-taken and well-received images by the mass even tho it's been shot to death. one good example (the industry i'm in) is in weddings and events. :)

If indeed i really go off on a tangent with my style and do radically different images, i need to have my niche market to feed me. otherwise, mostly, i will shoot "conventional".

perhaps in my free time, i would love to do something different, such as what this thread implies, but that has nothing to do with whether i'm a professional photographer or not, right?

cheers!! :)

When I used the word "pro", I wasn't strictly refering to the most correct dictionary meaning of the word, that is, a person who does a trade for a living (making more than 50% of his income from the trade). I loosely used the word "pro" to also include the other meaning, that is, an expert or skilled person.

I completely understand what you're doing with your camera, and the kind of images you have shoot to appease your customers. I know other "pros" do it too. Even I shoot images which are "conventional" (usually of my paying customers).

I'm not making a personal attack on you, or anyone other "pro" in particular. I was merely stating how many "pros" in S'pore shoot models with pretty-girl-smiling-in-the-park-wearing-fashion themes day after day, year after year (and I seen this since the 90s). The models shot are NOT paying customers.

I would rather pay for, or reward, models who are willing to do unconventional stuff.

Ok, maybe I've been spoilt to have models who did unconventional stuff for me.

I hope none of your feathers were badly ruffled. I was only applauding Gravemaid.

It has been my nature not to comment on the controversies and flame wars going on in CS preferring only to post my pics for critiques and comments and adding a few comments here and there.
But after looking thru this post which had ruffled a few feathers, do allow me to add in my 02cents worth.

What is ART?
A photo of a few pairs of limbs isn’t my idea of an aesthetically pleasing shot.
But apparently there are others who think otherwise.
On the contrary this is what I would consider a nice shot. (Student, hope you don’t mind).
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=157624
Very creative, very novel and a well thought composition.

Now, the question is.... who is to say that a picture of a a few pairs of legs isn’t art and a silhouette picture of a woman entitled 'pushing.......pushing......."is.
All I can say is that it boils down to perception.
What I see as pleasing isn’t pleasing to another.
Look at the German anatomist, Gunther von Hagens who placed cadavers in different positions and poses. He called it art.
I call it macabre and I don’t like it. Yet there are people who had imitated his style. Isn’t copying a statement of flattery? Who can say that five years or ten years down the road, this gruesome display of dead bodies will take root and be universally accepted as a new art form?
Ten years down the road, the display of limbs is consider as the in thing in photography.
Food for thought isn’t it?
Who is to say that it can’t happen. All it needs is a general consensus among innovative
photographers looking for a new way to showcase their works and pretty soon it becomes an accepted norm.
Look at Gothic. Look at cross processing. Aren’t these new ideas that had taken roots
and have become accepted as new genres in photography.
C’mon guys….Art and photography are pretty subjective. There is no right and there is no wrong way of viewing an art form nor of taking a picture.

Coming back to the original post, I’m sure she’s aware that fortune and success don’t favor the weaker sex. It’s the bold and the one having the foresight that eventually will succeed. Chances of her falling along the wayside are high.
I’m sure she knows that. Question is… are we going to deny a 23 years old the opportunity? All she’s asking for is a chance. A chance to succeed.
I state my stance.
Lydia….. I wish you success in your endeavour. It’s only thru perseverance that one can make it.
Go for it.

Lion king said:
... Coming back to the original post, I’m sure she’s aware that fortune and success don’t favor the weaker sex. It’s the bold and the one having the foresight that eventually will succeed. Chances of her falling along the wayside are high.
I’m sure she knows that. Question is… are we going to deny a 23 years old the opportunity? ...

This is definately OT, but is something that needs to be said!

And since when were we denying Lydia her chances? Lydia posted the original message days ago, it was wonderfully received, and she went AWOL. She did not promote herself at all other than that first post. She lit the fire, got us intersted, but failed to fan it, failed to put more wood in to feed it. Who can she blame but herself if she fails? We are all waiting for her shoots, we got no information, we don't know the models, we are all just guessing.

Oh, by the way, are you saying woman is the weaker sex? Please watch your step as you find your way to the 21st century!

alamak... how come you thought i took it personally?

i didn't so don't worry, if you are! eheh

i guess since u refer to pros as those that are higher skilled or experienced, then perhaps shootnig the same ol crap year after year after year is kinda pointless, but that's in light of MOVING on. sometimes we dun have to shoot to move on. we shoot becos we know that even if we come up with crap (even worse than convention) it's no problem, sometimes it's therapeutic to shoot knowing that it doesn't matter what comes out eventually. not that you should do it all the time, but not that u should always shoot with a motive either.

anywayz, yeah i'll applaud gravemaid with you, but quite honestly, this thread has just been all talk (or all "type", to be more precise). :)

Jemapela said:
When I used the word "pro", I wasn't strictly refering to the most correct dictionary meaning of the word, that is, a person who does a trade for a living (making more than 50% of his income from the trade). I loosely used the word "pro" to also include the other meaning, that is, an expert or skilled person.

I completely understand what you're doing with your camera, and the kind of images you have shoot to appease your customers. I know other "pros" do it too. Even I shoot images which are "conventional" (usually of my paying customers).

I'm not making a personal attack on you, or anyone other "pro" in particular. I was merely stating how many "pros" in S'pore shoot models with pretty-girl-smiling-in-the-park-wearing-fashion themes day after day, year after year (and I seen this since the 90s). The models shot are NOT paying customers.

I would rather pay for, or reward, models who are willing to do unconventional stuff.

Ok, maybe I've been spoilt to have models who did unconventional stuff for me.

I hope none of your feathers were badly ruffled. I was only applauding Gravemaid.

Deadpoet said:
Oh, by the way, are you saying woman is the weaker sex?

Well that’s what my mama told me or unless she is lying. Hmmm…this could be the start of another conspiracy theory.:bsmilie:

Seriously. aren’t we physically and emotionally(oops debatable) stronger than them?
It is and always will be.
In the business and corporate world, where dealings and wheelings are the order of the day,
physiques do count for nuts. Yes. I do agree that it’s a level playing field and there is no such thing as the weaker sex. I’m sure Lydia knows that too.
And at the end of the day, if we can’t out booze them at the local pub,
bro….. we are in deep **** big time.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

As to why she awol and fails to put up subsequent posts...... only she knows. All I’m saying is give her or anyone, male or female a chance to start up. That is the least we can do.

catchlights said:
Hahaha,

Hey student,

Till today, I still can't define what is ART... in everyone's eye

So I find shoot for money is more practical…. You want to see my shot? Can! Pay me money loh. Hahahahhah.

========
Sorry to Lydia and everyone for the OT.

I can define ART.......anyone that pays me money, I will explain what ART of Making Money is all about.:bsmilie:

jOhO said:
alamak... how come you thought i took it personally?

i didn't so don't worry, if you are! eheh

i guess since u refer to pros as those that are higher skilled or experienced, then perhaps shootnig the same ol crap year after year after year is kinda pointless, but that's in light of MOVING on. sometimes we dun have to shoot to move on. we shoot becos we know that even if we come up with crap (even worse than convention) it's no problem, sometimes it's therapeutic to shoot knowing that it doesn't matter what comes out eventually. not that you should do it all the time, but not that u should always shoot with a motive either.

anywayz, yeah i'll applaud gravemaid with you, but quite honestly, this thread has just been all talk (or all "type", to be more precise). :)

Wah damn PRO talk.........!:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.