Model shoot -- don't spoil market

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth-photographer

Mar 12, 2005
I looked at the pages and I saw that there are many threads of the model shoots. Well, if the session are meant as a gathering of photographers, I support it. But it seems otherwise now, as it has become a business opportunity.

I cannot believe that there are sessions that charge $150 per head for 3 hours shoot, maximum 10 people. I am sure the usage of the venue and props do not need that much money.

I think we should put a stop to these sky high prices for the photo shoot less we spoil the market. I rather the models put up their services and we pay her direct. If the models are the one who put up these sky high prices, we really need to relook the market.

In fact, my dad is also surprised about the existence of this lucrative market and so many foolish photographers jump into signing up.

I remembered there is this agency called Jeffrey Chung (still around?) and the models fee are like at most $150 per hour. I rather get her for $450 for 3 hours, and 10 of us share the bill, only $45 per head!

we all know smoking is bad for you, but there are still people who smoke :dunno: same theory, i s'pose

smoke who? I hope you are not one of them.

So how now?
1st, we don't want cheap event photographers to spoil the market.
Now, we don't want expensive model shoots to spoil the market.

Photographers are really so stingy? Situation not good for them then complain?

Pls grow up, as long as there're people willing to shoot gals in bikinis for whatever reason, let them be.

IMHO, it is a free market out there, if the charge is really too high then noone would sign up, simple demand and supply dude. And the cost of the whole thing is not just as simple as 1+1=2, the orgainiser still need to tie up the logistics. location etc etc.....

I don't think there is anything wrong with organiser making profit out of the shoot, unless the organiser did a bad job, like say 3 'hunk' in bikini turned up instead of 3 bikini babes! haha reminds me of Stephen Chow movie, always got one Ru Hua with 'her' digging her nose. There is no free lunch in this world man!!!

Cheers............

truth-photographer said:
I looked at the pages and I saw that there are many threads of the model shoots. Well, if the session are meant as a gathering of photographers, I support it. But it seems otherwise now, as it has become a business opportunity.

I cannot believe that there are sessions that charge $150 per head for 3 hours shoot, maximum 10 people. I am sure the usage of the venue and props do not need that much money.

I think we should put a stop to these sky high prices for the photo shoot less we spoil the market. I rather the models put up their services and we pay her direct. If the models are the one who put up these sky high prices, we really need to relook the market.

In fact, my dad is also surprised about the existence of this lucrative market and so many foolish photographers jump into signing up.

I remembered there is this agency called Jeffrey Chung (still around?) and the models fee are like at most $150 per hour. I rather get her for $450 for 3 hours, and 10 of us share the bill, only $45 per head!

AReality said:
So how now?
1st, we don't want cheap event photographers to spoil the market.
Now, we don't want expensive model shoots to spoil the market.

Photographers are really so stingy? Situation not good for them then complain?

Pls grow up, as long as there're people willing to shoot gals in bikinis for whatever reason, let them be.

I think these are two different issues. From my humble opinion based on logic, cheap event photographers spoil the market for the professional photographers.

Expensive fees for shooting models may not mean models earn that rate.

Anyway, being rational, if photorgaphers are willing to pay such rate, I really have no comment. They might really like to consider forming groups and conduct their own sessions instead, and hire professional model directly from agency. Cheaper this way, and the models are trained to pose.

My girlfriends and myself in the past did hire male models from agency. At least they know how to pose well.

plinius said:
IMHO, it is a free market out there, if the charge is really too high then noone would sign up, simple demand and supply dude. And the cost of the whole thing is not just as simple as 1+1=2, the orgainiser still need to tie up the logistics. location etc etc.....

I don't think there is anything wrong with organiser making profit out of the shoot, unless the organiser did a bad job, like say 3 'hunk' in bikini turned up instead of 3 bikini babes! haha reminds me of Stephen Chow movie, always got one Ru Hua with 'her' digging her nose. There is no free lunch in this world man!!!

Cheers............

Well, you are right that it is really up to individual as to how they want to spend their hard earned cash.

For me, I know my figures and I know what is best for me. Probably it is time for many to realise this.

you are spot on, different strokes for different folks, and different pocket size too.... let the market decide on the right price.

let's not dwell further into this and go back to taking pictures..........

Cheers......

truth-photographer said:
Well, you are right that it is really up to individual as to how they want to spend their hard earned cash.

For me, I know my figures and I know what is best for me. Probably it is time for many to realise this.

Well, it is only a matter of time when market forces shall decide the price, especially when there is so much competition among the various organisers.

Well, who knows, the different organisers could actually be from the same source.

My point is you could actually have a more enjoyable session, with a smaller group, pay less, when you hire a model straight from the agency.

truth-photographer said:
Well, it is only a matter of time when market forces shall decide the price, especially when there is so much competition among the various organisers.

Well, who knows, the different organisers could actually be from the same source.

My point is you could actually have a more enjoyable session, with a smaller group, pay less, when you hire a model straight from the agency.
I agreed and disagreed with you on some points. If I find the charges too high or maybe some will say unreasonable, I'll just give it a miss. But will also have to imagine that I'm in the organiser's shoe, all the hard work put in and ended up with cancelling it cause not enough photographers to cover the cost. :cry:

I had actually started to organise on my own shoot with a permanent group of friends that loves photography, it really cuts down a lot on cost. We share ideas and joke along the session, both photographers and model enjoys throughout the session. Also not much dispute cause we know each other quite well. :)

once i went for a photoshoot...
the model was lying on the bed.. and all the male photographers stand right up on the top of the bed.. and did a shot down... guess waht? i felt tt the whole scene look like 10 photogs "masterbating" on the model...
i was so turn off by it... i didnt shoot much den...

i realise there are a lot of organizers who r out to make marnie... but some are not loh... esp those charge 30 - 45 :)

sometimes its the theme, props and time the organise puts in :)

truth-photographer said:

Fully agree with your comment, but let the "willing-buyers-willing-sellers" decides the outcome. Paying $100 per head is OK, if the models are "REAL" pro or some real celebrities.

truth-photographer said:

Just want to clarify with the threadstarter whether does the above comments goes to any particular people, for example like to me? :confused:

Cos I notice this thread was started just about a few hours after I posted my organised photography session. If the comments are for me, I would appreciate that you could state your doubts in a more direct manner instead of twist and turn around all over the world.

Photonet18 said:
Just want to clarify with the threadstarter whether does the above comments goes to any particular people, for example like to me? :confused:

Cos I notice this thread was started just about a few hours after I posted my organised photography session. If the comments are for me, I would appreciate that you could state your doubts in a more direct manner instead of twist and turn around all over the world.

Des...u too sensitive la.

I am sure it was coincidence but as many here have already mentioned "market forces" or "willing buyer willing seller" so let's there is really no need to discuss more.

e.g. If I have a shoot of 3 models for $3000 per session. People sign up. If they feel there is value, they will return for future sessions, if not, they will not return and the word of mouth (i.e. bad publicity) will "kill me" or my business.

Nothing wrong with above as long as i do not mis-represent the facts or oversell in which case " let the buyer beware".

I believe in the free market and forces of demand and supply. It is up to one to pay whatever he likes to shoot.

I can understand that if any org wants to earn something to compensate for his trouble, that is all right with me personally.

The thing I always believe in that photog after paying for the models shouldnt just give photos to the them for free.

Wow, I just woke up and I see so many emails flying here and there by this enthusiatic lady. It seems she did not sleep last night! Kudos.

My point of view is: it is very much a supply and demand thing.

Certainly, as what one of the bro here said, it is more fun to form a group of known faces, get a model and go and shoot.

For us at The Photographic Society of Sinagpore, we are promoting photography as a people's art and making the sessions affordable will encourage more to enjoy and have fun.

You be your own judge ... :)

You can pay $$$ to get that single shot or even $$$ for 3 hours and nothing is accomplished.

Supply and Demand thingy and let the market forces decides .... :)

truth-photographer said:

could i check if u do take pictures for a living (aka professional) or a serious hobbyist or other not-so-desirable classifications?

what makesu think that having a smaller group, u have to pay less? and if u hire the model straight from the agency, what makes u think agency models only charge $100 +-?

which MODEL agencies did u go to? FYI, i have on hand quotations of up to $800 for 4 hour shoot for some models. (they may not be FULL TIME models, but they have the cutting that suits my concept),

so assuming i limit my group to just 4 photographers (small group), each photographer pays $200 just for her modelling fees.... how about logistics? Props for the shoot? studio rental? makeup artiste fees? hairstylists? personal assistants?

even if it is an outdoor shoot, think about travelling fees too! or teeny weeny "constantly overlooked solutions" like cooling fans, water, food, etc...

in short, there is no such thing as good and cheap going hand in hand.

as for the model business in CS, if people are willing to organize and there are people willing to pay, who are u or anybody to say no?

its a free market

truth-photographer said:

ah yo! Let's say it this way, the photographer rather pays for a model that they like. Even if you offer free models to photographer, they don like the look or anything like that, maybe they will think "free one mah".. Makes the model feel "cheap", so not nice for u to say "so many foolish photographers jump into signing up" also right...? :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.