model release??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
would like to ask...

- if i pay a male model to pose for me, do i need to let him sign any model release?

- if i pay for his services, must/should I give him a copy of the pics?

IMO,
yes if u r intending to 'advertise' the pics up
yes u should give him a copy of his pics.. if not it sounds he posed for nothing. ;)

IMO,
yes u should give him a copy of his pics.. if not it sounds he posed for nothing. ;)

not using the pics for commercial use.

but am I obliged to give him a copy of his pics?
do you guys do that when you shoot XMM?(paid shoot i mean).

Pay liao i thought the copyright belongs to the photographer :dunno:

We pay them for shoot, their job is to pose for us and let us shoot, still need model release ?
maybe for nude i can understand, but for normal shoot need ah...

i could be wrong, hope experience photographers can enlighten me as well...:)

when i shoot XMM :bsmilie: not obliged to give them, give them is a form of good will, since i paid them, not they paid me :bsmilie:

maybe if he is handsome u might wanna keep the pics for yourself. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

maybe if he is handsome u might wanna keep the pics for yourself. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

not handsome you think i will pay and shoot him?please lah...

same the other way, not chio gal you will pay to shoot ah?:bsmilie:

If you are paying for his service.

Good to get him sign the model release.
You need not to give him a copy of his pictures.

best to get him or her to sign a release. In case one day your photos are valued be it as stock footage or pieces of photographic brilliance, you have yourself covered and you wont have your model suing you for a cut of the fees you are paid later.

Get him to sign a release if you intend to use for commercial purposes, if not, then just do it as good business practice, its always handy to have, but not a necessity if your using the shots for non commercial means. You are not obliged to give him the pictures unless stated in the 'contract', but it may be in your best interest to if you want to work with him again in the future, do him a favour, he might do you one later.

seen this link at others DSLR forum website, not sure helpful or not
http://www.danheller.com/model-release-primer.html

Summary
You don't need a release just because you take pictures.
  1. You don't need a release just because you take pictures.
  2. Releases may necessary for those who publish photos.
  3. Unless a photo is put to use, no release is necessary.
  4. It is not your responsibility to know whether a release is necessary.
  5. It is your responsibility to disclose whether you have a release for a photo you may be providing to someone who wants to buy it.
  6. Just because you may profit from the sale of picture, it does not automatically trigger the need for a release.
  7. If someone refuses to sign a release, it does not mean that you can not sell or license the photo to someone else to use in a publication, provided that such use does not require a release.

IMO,

Hi Chrisljh

What is a "Model Release"?

Thanx

Hi Catchlights

Thank you beri much. Now I get a better understanding.

Xie xie

Hi everyone

I jst join clubsnap, i realised by last reply on the subject "Re:model release??", beside it has a thumb down icon. What does it represent?

Hehehe, dun wan any misunderstanding that i put that.

Can any Hao Xin Ren help me on this.

Thanks

Hi everyone

I jst join clubsnap, i realised by last reply on the subject "Re:model release??", beside it has a thumb down icon. What does it represent?

Hehehe, dun wan any misunderstanding that i put that.

Can any Hao Xin Ren help me on this.

Thanks
maybe you clicked wrongly.

1. Not unless you intend to sell your photos to US based stock agencies. Using it in a commercial context in Singapore does not require any model release as far as the state of law in Singapore at this time is concerned. Those who tell you that you do probably did their "research" by reading US based websites which do not apply in Singapore.

2. You dont have to give anything. You can give if you want to.

would like to ask...

- if i pay a male model to pose for me, do i need to let him sign any model release?

- if i pay for his services, must/should I give him a copy of the pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.