Model Release for competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
it depands on what the shoot was for in the first place. If it is a paying job than it depands on the contract between you and the client.

first issue - does the competition organisers require one?

second issue - yqt brought up a relevant issue, I add that the situation he is evisaging is probably not so much whether you have a model release, but whether you have the rights to enter it in a competition. If you have the copyrights, then all is good. If not, then you'd need a license from the copyright owner.

radedward said:
What would be the consequences if I didn't obtain one?

VINCE123123 said:
first issue - does the competition organisers require one?

A few things can happen:
1) there can be a dispute between yourself and the model
2) quoting vince123123, if the answer is 'yes', they can disqualify you even if you win
3) most of the time the organiser will want to have the copyrights for their own purpose. When they use it for commercial purpose (most of the time they will), you're in trouble with the model.
4) for item 1 & 3 you can be sued.
5) for item 2 you'll be kicking yourself in the backside especially if the prize is a big ticket item like the D2X!!!

vince123123 said:
second issue - yqt brought up a relevant issue, I add that the situation he is evisaging is probably not so much whether you have a model release, but whether you have the rights to enter it in a competition. If you have the copyrights, then all is good. If not, then you'd need a license from the copyright owner.

yes, that what I mean ( thanks vince :thumbsup: ). Know your rights, even if you have the copyrights:
1) is it for your own portfolio only.
2) does it allow you to profit from it, ie: when you win and recive a prize.
3) does it allow a 3th party to use it for commercial purpose, ie: the organiser use or resell it.

Cpoyrights can be a sticky issue so be careful about it.

Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket but it's just my 2 cents worth.

It's good to know all of these

So, those people who take candid shots and submit them for competitions do get their subjects to sign model release before they submit them?

What about children and teenagers? I remember seeing people who have won for pictures with children. Do you have to go through the parents for a model release?

On one hand, I understand the need for these safeguards
On the other hand, it seems kind of sad that you have to bury yourself in paperwork just to take part in a simple competition.

moral of the story: stick to landscapes! :bsmilie:

under Singapore laws, there is probably no need for a model release, although you can always get one if you want to feel safer.

radedward said:
It's good to know all of these

So, those people who take candid shots and submit them for competitions do get their subjects to sign model release before they submit them?

What about children and teenagers? I remember seeing people who have won for pictures with children. Do you have to go through the parents for a model release?

On one hand, I understand the need for these safeguards
On the other hand, it seems kind of sad that you have to bury yourself in paperwork just to take part in a simple competition.

moral of the story: stick to landscapes! :bsmilie:

I dun think your statement is true. Model release is still required i believe in Singapore.

nemesis32 said:
I dun think your statement is true. Model release is still required i believe in Singapore.
After 43 threads asking about model releases in singapore... we still haven't come to a conclusion... :)

i think as long as you post, publish, display or broadcast any photo of a person, I think you need written permission from them or they can sue you. I think for some reason, only exception to the rule is if its part of work for newspaper or tv station.

Can anybody tell me if magazines like Juice and Teenage are vulnerable to legal action when publishing event coverage or street shots without signed model release form?

well, I've always asked those who stick to their guns that model releases are required in Singapore how they arrive at that conclusion, and every time, no response was forthcoming.... :p

AReality said:
After 43 threads asking about model releases in singapore... we still haven't come to a conclusion... :)

so lets do it again..why do you say that it is still required? any authorities that we can refer to?

nemesis32 said:

I wonder how far you need to go to get releases.

What say your shot includes a part of a crowd (passersby that you regard as background), and you have release(s) for the main subject(s). The photo is among the winning entries, and gets published. Can someone sue you out of the blue for having their faces published as a winning photo in a comp without their specific release?

Can be tough!

In Singapore, I think you don't have to worry too much, at least as far as releases are concerned.

leon said:
I wonder how far you need to go to get releases.

What say your shot includes a part of a crowd (passersby that you regard as background), and you have release(s) for the main subject(s). The photo is among the winning entries, and gets published. Can someone sue you out of the blue for having their faces published as a winning photo in a comp without their specific release?

Can be tough!

radedward said:

Depands on the subject. If you know them, than just a simple request to them to use it should be enough ( basic manners? )though getting them to sign a release would be better.

If you do not know them ie: shooting children in a park playing, than it would not be possible to get a release from them even if you want ( shot it sometime ago just for fun ).

BENEDIUM said:
Can anybody tell me if magazines like Juice and Teenage are vulnerable to legal action when publishing event coverage or street shots without signed model release form?

When it is an organised event it is not unreasonable that they use a photo with you in it so long as it is use together with the write up about the event. If they use it for something else than it is a different matter.

Street shots? It is a little grey area, friends/photographers I've spoken to are divided over this. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

LEON said:

The main subject is not anyone in particual in the crowd/background and anyone could have been in the crowd. Reasonable argument is that is will not be possible, at anytime, get release from everyone.

What I've posted here is only my personal opinion, it might be best to seek proper advise. As this is an open forum I'm just giving my 2 cents worth. Better stop here before you guys fall asleep :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

well again as I would say, in Singapore, there are no specific laws on model releases. model releases are a concept evolved from specific legislation under US laws. Singapore photographers read US books and US websites and assume (perhaps erroneously) that it applies in Singapore as well.

I think that's shortest summary i've given on this issue since so many threads ago :p

vince123123 said:
well, I've always asked those who stick to their guns that model releases are required in Singapore how they arrive at that conclusion, and every time, no response was forthcoming.... :p

so lets do it again..why do you say that it is still required? any authorities that we can refer to?

I guess model release is something the organisor, the photographer and the model wanted to be protected under laws of contract.

Even though Model Release is not mandatory like in the US where it is mandatory for a release form should the subject includes a human portrait. I think it is still apporiate for any party to insist on a model release, just to protect themselve from any backfire

well then it should just be called a contract, whether or not to have a contract determing the terms would be up to the parties involved.

the term model release is a specific term of art with a specific meaning.

blurblock said:
I guess model release is something the organisor, the photographer and the model wanted to be protected under laws of contract.

Even though Model Release is not mandatory like in the US where it is mandatory for a release form should the subject includes a human portrait. I think it is still apporiate for any party to insist on a model release, just to protect themselve from any backfire

anyway we are going off topic. to answer the original poster, it would largelydepend on the contest terms and contidions..

anyway we are going off topic. to answer the original poster, it would largelydepend on the contest terms and contidions..

Well, there is no mention of a model release in the T&C but is there such a thing in other competitions. I've never seen it before and I'm asking because I'm curious.

Can you imagine if you had to get a model release for the protraits you shot on something like the canon 1 day shootout?

I understand the rationale behind a model release. Covering one's ass.
Just feel a bit sad about it though

like i said, not necessary in Singapore :)

radedward said:
Well, there is no mention of a model release in the T&C but is there such a thing in other competitions. I've never seen it before and I'm asking because I'm curious.

Can you imagine if you had to get a model release for the protraits you shot on something like the canon 1 day shootout?

I understand the rationale behind a model release. Covering one's ass.
Just feel a bit sad about it though

Status
Not open for further replies.