Model escapeds with a $2k fine while the others jailed because of her

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
Model fined $2,000 for hiring fall guy

Tue, Feb 08, 2011
AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - A model has been fined $2,000 for hiring someone to take the rap for a traffic offence she committed.

Evangeline Tay Su Ann, 22 years old, bribed a property agent to take the blame after she beat a red light on Jan 22, 2008. She paid the property agent $1,000.

Judge Jill Tan said that it was unnecessary to jail her as she was suffering from depression at the time of the offence. The judge also said that Tay had a low-risk of re-offending and had a clean record since 2008.

She could have been jailed up to seven years, fined or both.

Her two accomplices were jailed in the last two years. The policeman who helped her, former Deputy Superintendent of Police, 40-year-old Kelvin Choo Yew Beng, was sentenced to six months in jail in August 2010.

The property agent, 35-year-old Leung Man Kwan, was jailed three months in 2009.

Tay is currently undergoing treatment for her condition. Her psychiatrist said that her condition has improved. Her lawyer, Lim Kia Tong, said that she will be appealing against her sentence.

What happened

Tay had drive her house-mate's car without his consent. She did not possess a valid driving licence at that time. She beat a red light as she was driving at the junction of Lornie Road and Sime Road.

As a result, her house-mate, a Bulgarian business manager, received a summons from the Traffic Police in Feb 2008.

Tay then approached Choo for help. He roped in Leung to take the rap, after which Tay paid her $1,000.

She is currently a business student at the Singapore Institute of Management.

Am I the only one who thinks theres something seriously wrong with the sentencing??

this is a pretty old case, and pretty interesting when it first came to light.

at that time, a 19 year old model who's acquaintances with a DSP and stays with a Bulgarian Business Manager as a house-mate?

LOL whatever the media tells us, i bet there's been loads of cover ups in this case. and probes into the private lives of the civil service

IIRC…

The man who arranged the fall guy (which is really a woman) is a police officer of some sort… therefore its more serious for him.

The fall woman is making false police statement… a friend of mine who failing to get MC, tried to avoid going to work by claiming he was robbed and need to make a police report. End up 30 days in queenstown.

The 'Model' is save by the fact that she is young (19 yrs old) and that a jail sentence could affect her schooling and the rest of her life.… but by appealing for a lesser sentence… I hope that it pissed off the Judge and like all failed appealed… her sentences is increase two fold, be it fines or better off, jailed.

Btw… life isn't fair… get use to it… :sweat:

car theft
driving without a license/insurance coverage
beating trafficlight

Pay $2000

Its good to be a w***e with connections

Last edited:
car theft
beating trafficlight

Pay $2000

Its good to be a w***e with connections

u mean:
car theft
beating trafficlight

= $2000

w***e with connections?

Priceless :bsmilie:

in today's new paper, it states that the model was the bulgarian's gf then.
not sure if they are still together.

The sentence is faintz.............:thumbsd:

Good that the model appeal for the case.......let hope she get a harsher sentence this time round.

this one?

tay-wongKC.jpg

makes me wonder why don't just pay the housemate to take the rap.. why must go through 2 other people

Maybe she scared her housemate ask her packup and go fly kite.

Maybe she scared her housemate ask her packup and go fly kite.

precisely. she's not the gf. he's more like a sugar daddy to her. if she poses a problem, he can just deny knowing her, tell her to scram etc

makes me wonder why don't just pay the housemate to take the rap.. why must go through 2 other people

1) Person who took the rap for her already got a lot of offences, one more won't hurt.

2) Bulgarian business manager --> $1K payment to take rap??? :nono:

If you rob a bank alone if caught you'll get 20 years.

If you rob it with 20 other people you'll get 5 years. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Interesting. By that calculation, if you rob with 8000 people, you'd get only 1 month jail :). But it's dificult to split money with 8000 people :bsmilie:

How she get to know the Deputy Superintendent ? :think:

She is suffering from depression and yet she manage to convince ppl to help her...

i mean i dunno leh... even if my best friend ask me to take the rap for $1000 i will say no... she must be very good at persuading ppl...