Mobile plans in the United States, any free incoming calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajneo

Sep 14, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

I am currently in Houston texas. Anyone been here and knows if it is common to have free incoming calls?

Thanks!

If you are in Houston, Texas, you may want to check out either services from Cingular or T-Mobile (both uses GSM 900 and 1800). Sprint (CDMA) offers unlimited incoming and outgoing from 7pm to 7am, weekday and weekends. I was a Sprint user before returning to Singapore but I know T-Mobile is quite good in your area. :)

almost all plans nowadays have free incoming. Go with Cingular or T Mobile. Biggest networks and free talk time within same networks. Sign up from large service centers, you get better deals than the small booths in the malls.

JamYees said:
almost all plans nowadays have free incoming.

I learned this the hard way..... Americans are crafty businessmen.

ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINTS CAREFULLY!!!!

There are almost always some sort of hidden catch. Don't sign your soul to the devil.

I always thought US calls are dirt cheap. You mean this isn't the case?

as far as i know.. no u.s service provider has free incoming... expect maybe nextel which uses walkie talkie technology.

however they do have unlimted nights and weekends.. which means free incoming and outgoing on nights and weekends but you use ur mintues when you talk during the day irregardless of incoming or outgoing.

also keep in mind that sms is charged for both incoming and outgoing.. 10c usd iirc.

you can get the unlimited sms for 4.99 i think depending ont he provider.

im using t-mobile now and its alright. Given a choice i would have gone with cingular because they have the best converage.

and i would stay away from verizon because they have so many hidden charges that when you see your bill you will be surprised beyond words, oh and they customer service is horrible from personal experience.

i am not sure why some of the posts here say there ar efree incoming

i dont believe that is so.
USA dont really operate on incoming.
both way calls eat your minutes unless you are on a family plan or a special plan where calling someone else with the same provider as you would make it a free call.

nights and weekends free is a real bonus. if you need alot of minutes, just get 1000 peak time free. i tihkn that would be more than enough for you.

melnjes said:
I always thought US calls are dirt cheap. You mean this isn't the case?

No, this is not true. There are a lot of hidden charges. Let's say if your sevice plan costs US$29.95. By the time you receive your bill, your charges may come up to US$40, even if, let's say, you didn't use all your time.

Cheers!

photobum said:
No, this is not true. There are a lot of hidden charges. Let's say if your sevice plan costs US$29.95. By the time you receive your bill, your charges may come up to US$40, even if, let's say, you didn't use all your time.

Cheers!
Photobum, please get all your facts real straight before you comment. In the US, all taxes are not included in the prices listed. That is a universal practice, applies to shopping, meals, services, on anything that is taxed.

There are some other small fees, perhaps, but the amount is not meaningful.

The voice cost in the US is the cheapest anywhere in the world. This is also one reason text messaging took so long to become popular, voice was cheap.

You also have to factor in that with majority of the voice plan, most mobile phone user in the US no longer has to pay for long distance, and if you get the right plan, there is no roaming charge, you can use your Houston based phone in Seattle, Boston, or even Hawaii, still no roaming, and that is a huge service area.

To OP. it's just something to get use to, just in singapore, free incoming, but in the US, free calls period during the off peak hours. It took me a while to get use to no free calls anytime, it will take you just a while to get use to no free incoming, but free calls during off peak.

Deadpoet said:
Photobum, please get all your facts real straight before you comment. In the US, all taxes are not included in the prices listed. That is a universal practice, applies to shopping, meals, services, on anything that is taxed.

There are some other small fees, perhaps, but the amount is not meaningful.

The voice cost in the US is the cheapest anywhere in the world. This is also one reason text messaging took so long to become popular, voice was cheap.

You also have to factor in that with majority of the voice plan, most mobile phone user in the US no longer has to pay for long distance, and if you get the right plan, there is no roaming charge, you can use your Houston based phone in Seattle, Boston, or even Hawaii, still no roaming, and that is a huge service area.

To OP. it's just something to get use to, just in singapore, free incoming, but in the US, free calls period during the off peak hours. It took me a while to get use to no free calls anytime, it will take you just a while to get use to no free incoming, but free calls during off peak.

dude.. i have to agree with him man ... i used to get verizon land line and the published rate was like 19.99 .. and the tax came up to like 40 bucks... its amazing all the hidden charges + tax that they can come up with.

and i dont agree that voice is the cheapest in the world.. right now 39.99 is the cheapest post paid plan you can get and tahts freeking expensive if you ask me. I think the U.K has the cheapest phone plans out there with the best phones as well.

Deadpoet said:
Photobum, please get all your facts real straight before you comment. In the US, all taxes are not included in the prices listed.

Hey, bro. Our task here is to ADVISE and not to start a war. Befriend with President George W. Bush, join his administration, if you are one of such people.

Read my post CAREFULLY once more. The hidden cost is IN THE BILL, not on the price list. Example, one of such fee is 911 calling charge. You will have to pay the fee even when you do not call 911 at all.

Please... you are the one who needs to get things straight before commenting. I doubt you read your fine prints while living in the US.

May God save your soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.