Mobile phone data plans: 4 GB 4G or 12 GB 3G?

JacePhoto

Oct 1, 2007
New York City
www.flickr.com
I got a offer to recontract my hp line. Currently it's on 12 GB 3G. If I recontract, it wld be 4GB 4 G.

I know 4 GB is faster but is it worth it?

Speed wise... 4G is alot better... close to my WiFi speed at home...

Agree with catchlights... alot depends on your usage... I have 2GB (3G) for my phone... I hardly hit 1GB monthly... for my Tablet, its 10GB (4G)... but I hardly hit 5GB monthly.

Therefore... is it worthwhile, depends on your usage. But be forewarned, on 4G Network... its quite easy to hit high daily usage due to the ease and speed of download. So, check often.

Also, 4G has a higher data overhead - so downloading the same things will use MORE data on 4G than 3G.

I always exceed my 3GB limits. It really depends on your usage.

But 4G really leaves 3G in the dust (if you get a 4G connection wherever you are).

I surf CS lor. Sometimes for work, I use the phone to link w the notebook to do work, research on the net while outdoors.

I got a offer to recontract my hp line. Currently it's on 12 GB 3G. If I recontract, it wld be 4GB 4 G.

I know 4 GB is faster but is it worth it?

IIRC, when the service providers introduced the cut from 12 GB to 2 GB, they said that existing users would retain their 12 GB limit as long as the existing users recontract; and that the 2 GB limit would only apply to new users.

According to what you said, this is not the case. That means all existing users who hold 12 GB limits would be cut down to 4GB limit once they move from 3G to 4G.

Should be 3.5G, right? If really 3G, can forget it.

If 3.5G, speed still ok and coverage better than 4G. Since you are connecting to your laptop, more is better. But if you need to watch online clips, 4G is the one but, you need to monitor the usage. Hopes you makes the right choice. :D

IIRC, when the service providers introduced the cut from 12 GB to 2 GB, they said that existing users would retain their 12 GB limit as long as the existing users recontract; and that the 2 GB limit would only apply to new users.

I don't think you Recalled Correctly there. :)

Existing customers retain their 12GB plan as long as they don't recontract, i.e., stay on their existing plan even after contract is up.

Oh, my understanding of "recontract" is to extend their existing plan with the service provider. That was the term used by the Service Provider staff when they informed a person that his contract was ending; and ask whether he wants to recontract.

Once you recontract means bye bye to 12GB... The telco just wants to make more $ as less people talk on phone now, most uses apps to text or talk free. That's income lost to them.

Oh, my understanding of "recontract" is to extend their existing plan with the service provider. That was the term used by the Service Provider staff when they informed a person that his contract was ending; and ask whether he wants to recontract.

This was true last year, up till 30 Jun 2012.

i still got a year to enjoy my 12gb data plan.. every night listen to tunin radio from 11pm till 6am..without fail..

shiok..

dun think i can do that when i recon though...haiz..

After 2 years of 3G usage, my total download meter is around 8GB for 2 freaking years !! 3G is just too slow to do anything.
If you want to use 12GB/month on 3G, you'll need to sit next to the tower, surf all day, non stop.

Switched to 4G, my usage for first month is already 2GB!

According to what you said, this is not the case. That means all existing users who hold 12 GB limits would be cut down to 4GB limit once they move from 3G to 4G.

That is incorrect. 12GB 3G users will retain their 12GB only if they do not recontract. Once you recontract to 4G, they will move you down to 2GB or 3GB depending on your plan and telco. For M1, for "loyal" users and the mid plan, you get 3GB + 1GB (for loyal recontracts), so total of 4GB.

If don't recontract, you will have to stay with your outdated phone or buy the latest and greatest Samsung, HTC, or iPhone at "non-subsidized market rate".

curious la..just curious...

so means if dun RECONTRACT..still 12gb?

so...

if i go outside buy a non contract phone with 4g...heard must get a simcard card that is 4g rite? change that..(without changing contract,,) possible boh?

means..

change 4G phone, change to 4G simcard. can be done?

curious la..just curious...

so means if dun RECONTRACT..still 12gb?

so...

if i go outside buy a non contract phone with 4g...heard must get a simcard card that is 4g rite? change that..(without changing contract,,) possible boh?

means..

change 4G phone, change to 4G simcard. can be done?
I just recontracted. 3G phone to 4G phone and 4G plan. No need to change SIM card.

I think you have to change to 4G plan to enjoy 4G speed. Doesn't matter what phone u use on 3G plan.