Mobile music IEM query. (Source CD played from iriver iMP450)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this thread by jeanie. And I've also today just revived my iriver iMP450 portable CD player. (read about it here)

Currently, my iMP450 is connected to pair of Sennheiser MX 550. The MX 550 does not have noise isolation. After reading jeanie's thread, I've decided to give IEMs a go. I've set myself a budget of $170. (the price of Creative's ZEN Aurvana) My preferred type of music is Pop/Rock, Adult Contemporary & New Age). I normally listen to my iMP450 during my commuting to/fro from work on bus.

Will CS-ers here be kind enough to recommend me a pair of IEMs that will suit my budget and my listening style? I would welcome all recommendations and comments. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

personally I like the westone fit. you can get the westone UM1.

If you want to try the phones, you can go either Jaben at adelphi or stereo electronics at Causeway pt. Go bring along your source to test as IEMs can be very picky about the source.

I tried the Creative ZEN Aurvana at the Creative shop at Marina Square today and was impressed with the noise isolation and the fit. How is the Aurvana compared to its peers (in terms of cost) from Westone, Shure, etc.?

These are the ones that I think and heard/used are good that are under $170.

Westone UM1
Etymotic Research ER6i

Both have very good isolation. UM1's sound is leaning towards the bass side, stronger bass that is essential when outdoors/noisy. ER6i has a colder clinical sound. Less bass than UM1 but sounds good.

Tell you the bad points easier:
UM1, can sound a bit 'weird' as the lower treble seem a bit 'masked'. It comes with a tough braided cord and is meant to be worn 'over the ears' with the main cord behind you.

ER6i, its less bass can affect performance in noisy areas. Bass tend to get drown out. It has a thin main cord. Looks and feels flimsy and cheap but is quite strong actually. Wearing style is 'normal' Y cord aka apple earphones. And because of this, microphonics can be a big problem.

Both earphone's sound are affected by quite a bit depending on the eartips used. So explore/try the various eartip if possible.

Creative Aurvana sounds quite good but to me, both earphones mention above is superior in terms of sound and isolation. Both ER6i and UM1 will cost about $150-$180.

Bro afbug, thanks for the extensive comment. I was actually waiting for you to come in! :D

I've continued to read the other threads here and have written up a list. Feel free to comment on my list. Here it goes, in no particular order:
  • Sony EX85LP.
  • Westone UM-1.
  • Beyedynamics DTX-50. (has strong bass?)
  • AKG K14P. (lack of bass?)
  • Crossroads Mylar 3. (lower price? - 2 figures only)
  • Audio Technica CK7.
  • Etymotic Research ER6i.
  • Sennheiser CX300.

Bro afbug, thanks for the extensive comment. I was actually waiting for you to come in! :D

I've continued to read the other threads here and have written up a list. Here it goes, in no particular order:
  • Sony EX85LP.
  • Westone UM-1.
  • Beyedynamics DTX-50.
  • AKG K14P. (lack of bass?)
  • Crossroads Mylar 3. (lower price? - 2 figures only)
  • Audio Technica CK7.
  • Sennheiser CX300.

Compared to the UM1 and ER6i I listed:

• Sony EX85LP. - I never heard this earphone before but the EX90 is highly regarded in terms of sound but less isolation.
  • Westone UM-1.
  • Beyedynamics DTX-50. - Never tried before
  • AKG K14P. (lack of bass?) - Clear sound but forget it, no isolation, weak bass.
  • Crossroads Mylar 3. (lower price? - 2 figures only) - Never tried before. Have a following but I think its built quality is not as good.
  • Audio Technica CK7. - Owned it before. Clear sound with sparkling treble but bass is a bit on the weak side and less isolation.
  • Sennheiser CX300. - Similar to the Creative EP630 but at more than twice the cost. Not worth it. Less isolation and isn't as clear as a ER6i.

Very very thank you for the comments, afbug! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW, Jaben open Sundays? And which offers better service? Jaben or Stereo at Woodlands?

Very very thank you for the comments, afbug! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW, Jaben open Sundays? And which offers better service? Jaben or Stereo at Woodlands?

Same la. Just go to any 1 of them. Both can try the UM1 and ER6i. I think Jaben open on Sundays but cannot confirm. Call Wilson at 63370809. He is the boss of Jaben. For Stereo, I dun have their number but when there, you can ask Arron for advise.

Here are the 2 i think is good:

http://www.westone.com/content/215.html
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx - For 6i, if buying, buy the black version. White gets dirty easily and have a straight 3.5mm plug.

Of cause if you want a better sound, look at their bigger brothers, UM2, Westone3 and ER4P. There are the brands as well like Ultimate Ears and Shure but I think their entry level models are not as good as the UM1 and ER6i. Their upper end models are excellent.

Thanks for the links Bro.

Errr. What is the drawback for straight plugs?

Hahhaha. For this time, I shall cap my purchase to $170 only. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Thanks for the links Bro.

Errr. What is the drawback for straight plugs?

Hahhaha. For this time, I shall cap my purchase to $170 only. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Straight plugs places more strain on your jacks and cable as it sticks out more. Overtime, abrasion will cause the cable to wear down at the plug area. L-plugs are less obstructive.

I've used both UM1 and ER6i sometime back. Here are my thoughts about its cons on them besides those I listed above:

UM1
1. Wearing the cable at the back is a little irritating if you lean on a chair backrest or use a backpack. The cable will get caught. U can wear it in front but is a little short. Total cable length is about 1.2m.

I hope you get an idea of what I said by wearing the cable at the back. Its like the main cable as your pony tail.

But if you wear the cable at the back and under a shirt/jacket, the problem will not be as big and is super stealthy.

ER6i
1. The cable at 1.5m is long and whippy. It comes with a clip to secure it to you shirt etc to reduce microphonics.

2. Can get uncomfy depending on users. Different people, different mileage.

I think the ER6i will be a better choice as you can use the bass boost on your discman if you find its bass weak but it isn't as comfortable as a UM1. It will be a trade off, there isn't a perfect earphone.

Both earphones can fit a wdie array of tips and it can drasticly affect its sound. So experiment a bit and dun be afraid to spend a little more on finding the perfect tip for you. Etymotic will send some sample tip to you FOC if you request. Of cause, the sample tip must not be included in the package already.

UM1 will accept all Shure eartips except those meant for E2 series.

Thanks for the insight, afbug.

As you were mentioning about the tips, I guess that the only way is to try them out. How do I request for the tips from Etymotic?

Hmmm. So far, I've been limiting myself on IEMs. I've visited Sennheiser website and came across the PXC 250, which is an active noise cancellation headphone. What are the comments on this set?

Hmmm. So far, I've been limiting myself on IEMs. I've visited Sennheiser website and came across the PXC 250, which is an active noise cancellation headphone. What are the comments on this set?

Well I have not used or heard it before. I guess it is not much better than a PX100....which I have.

Active noise cancellation is a system where an electronic gadget is connected to the headphone. It is used to cancel out ambient noise. It requires batt as well.

Passive noise cancellation/isolation like ER6i/UM1 works like a earplug. No extra gadget, no extra batt required. So it is much more convienent. Easier to store as well. Dun under estimate their isolation capabilities. It can shut you out and leave you in your own world once your music starts. A car once honked at me while crossing a small road but I din hear him. :bsmilie: I only knew when he slowed down to almost stand still and he was staring at me in amazement.

SO when crossing roads, pay more attention!

Oh! All these while, I had the perception that active noise cancellation headphones are the best in terms of external sound isolation.

Agreed to your point that the active headphones need batteries to run and comes with an extra 'baggage' and not forgetting the wires!

Oh! All these while, I had the perception that active noise cancellation headphones are the best in terms of external sound isolation.

Agreed to your point that the active headphones need batteries to run and comes with an extra 'baggage' and not forgetting the wires!

I think they are not the best. The extra gadget and batt can be quite a hassle. Imagine u on a long haul flight to USA and the batt conk out...alamak liao!

Concerts, especially rock/metal concerts are noisy with all the amp/speakers behind them. Musicians normally use these as the can block out lots of noise and is very stealthy:

http://www.westone.com/content/21.html
http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/custom/index.php

Of cause they cost more than a thousand bucks, it is custom made to fit your ears, only your ears...... but....there are a few owners of such earphones in SG.

I think they are not the best. The extra gadget and batt can be quite a hassle. Imagine u on a long haul flight to USA and the batt conk out...alamak liao!

Concerts, especially rock/metal concerts are noisy with all the amp/speakers behind them. Musicians normally use these as the can block out lots of noise and is very stealthy:

http://www.westone.com/content/21.html
http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/custom/index.php

Of cause they cost more than a thousand bucks, it is custom made to fit your ears, only your ears...... but....there are a few owners of such earphones in SG.

Agree with you points there Bro afbug. And thanks for the links, now I know better! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.