Mobile broadband - Singtel? M1? Starhub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1to128

Feb 12, 2007
Hey anybody using mobile broadband? How's your experience?

Am looking at getting the service. Best if unlimited plan - well, you never know when you bust the limit or something. For web surfing and uploading photos and videos on the go. Will probably go for short-term contract to test water first.

Eh, i use singtel n M1, and i strongly recommend singtel, it is much more reliable if you tend to visit ulu places like golf courses..... Better coverage i guess..... As for starhub, i nvr use before, so not in the position to comment.

Been using StarHub unlimited mobile for >1 yr...
At the beginning always get good d/l speed when d/l torrent....:bsmilie:

Nowadays, to view some website also need to refresh a few times:thumbsd:
And the coverage is :angry:

Now stuck for another 11 mths with this service...

so singtel is still the best as of now?

was using the Singtel one to play World of Warcraft...not bad i say....

I'm using M1... the connection is ok... once in a while have server down but once in a while is acceptable to me. The speed... can be extremely slow during high traffic hours but I'm like an owl surfing in the middle of the night... so it is very fast during these times.

If your computer doesn't like the modem... it may give you problems. You may need to reinstall windows and trial and error in the installation and cross your fingers till it works! I reinstalled my windows at least 5 times to get it to work... and even then it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. But I can connect manually so as long as I connect... can lah... I give up getting it to work properly already. I hate the modem... really a piece of junk... but no choice. The thumb drive type may be better but it's only available for the higher plans. Another thing about this modem/ service is that you NEED to have an antivirus or it will get all kinds of crap into your com and your com will die! Trust me, mine did and I met another fella at the computer shop who also brought in his dead com with the M1 modem!

Actually, you really need to be quite patient to use this type of mobile broadband. Overall, I would say if you Mai Hiam, you will find it useable. The only reason I'm still on this plan is that it is the CHEAPEST UNLIMITED BROADBAND plan in Singapore! $22+ per month for unlimited broadband... the cheapest and slowest plan also. They offered me an upgrade for less than $10 more to a faster plan... still considering... :think:

Btw, I also found out that although they market it as mobile broadband, in reality, it is actually dial-up!!! :bsmilie::bigeyes:

Pick M1 or Starhub. Singnet Mobile does not give you a public IP address. Cannot use to host online games or do VPN conenction. Plus their gateway got firewall so not all TCP/IP connection works. Peer to Peer have issues also.

In conclusion, I think these services are all as bad/slow/laggy as the other although useable.
Just pick the one that offers the best and cheapest plan for you lah...
Cheapest unlimited plan is with M1.
Others, their cheap plan is not unlimited and unlimited plans are not cheap.

i always surf on MRT esp Pasir Ris to Bugis... last time i tested Singtel is better than M1 on MRT.
So is it still the same now?

hmmm tough tough... i could go for the cheapest m1 plan, or jump to the MaxMobile Ultimate at 50% discount.

i saw a demo at a m1 shop at the airport... speed seems quite alright. but not peak hours lah.

On M1 now... pretty happy with it.

M1's cheapest plan at $22++ /mth. I think there might be more one-time charges like registration, SIM card etc when the bill comes in the mailer.

One thing to note is these are 3G/3.5G technology, you can check on your mobile phone first to see if the reception is good or bad in the area you are using the device....like mine, my Singtel will switch to 2G network whenever I am at home in North East area, so I cannot expect the SNBB to download at its full potential, it works like a charm though whenever I am in town :thumbsup:

I was in a taxi from the airport to Suntec at 1am and my reception on a 3.6mbps plan was a grand 4/kb per second.
how the heck do they calculate 3.6mbps????
I was in HK and my HK friend's network was getting 80kb per second easily

I'm thinking of signing up soon.
I'm going to use it for downloads and internet, definitely not gaming.
But have yet to decide.
Advice anyone?
Thanks.

anything but M1 .... please oh please not m1.... im waiting for June to stop my mobile broadband .....
i have a 1mbs Starhub from maxonline contract and 2mbs M1... the starhub beats teh crap out of m1 anytime....

hi all,

i plan to sign up soon, still puzzle which 1 to sign. anyone stay at boon keng here who use this mobile broadband mind to give some advise to me??

thx

using starhub maxmobile ultimate.. hmm nt bad, used since it was launched. can manage 100-200kbps normally. but sometimes during peak period the download speed might drop ..

Status
Not open for further replies.