MO-ed Gaffer Tape No Longer Sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

I bought a roll of black gaffer's through a notable MO in this forum some time ago (can't remember how long, but I think it was only 30+ bucks at that time (shows how long it was - now its $40 I believe?).

The problem is, while the gaffer tape used to work very well in the past, I realise that recently, its starting not to be sticky anymore. I'm not talking about tape which I've used before, but tape which is still new on the roll.

What I'm referring to is when I now cut a new piece of tape from that same old roll, and try to stick it on something, after some time, it will start to fall off or unstick itself - this is quite strange considering that gaffer's tape is supposed to be strong.

I used gaffer's tape to stick down some extra wires in the interior of my car, and by itself, I can see the gaffer's tape unstick itself even after a few days. There is no stress on the tape which may test the strength of the glue - its just a simple sticking on a surface.

Anyone with similar experiences? Or does gaffer tape have an expiry date that must be used or else its no longer sticky.

most tapes does have expiry dates, just not printed... its the glue either evaporates or loses its properties. mostly 1-2 years i think, its a gradual thing...

I used to have that problem, especially on stretched surfaces. The solution was to hold or clamp the tape in place first so that the adhesive has time to get a firm grip on the surface. Once the tape had got a good grip, it remained there firmly.

Also, perhaps the length of tape that is exposed, may have its adhesive oxidised or some chemical reaction / ageing may have happened. That would render it to lose its stickiness. Solution would be to discard that length which was exposed.

think there was a few posts b4 abt this. i remembered someone suggested using either the 3M brand or the brand called "Duck Tape" instead.

fyi - yeah. i also faced the same problem with my gaffer tape. gave up taping my cam some time ago. :embrass:

nightwolf75 said:
think there was a few posts b4 abt this. i remembered someone suggested using either the 3M brand or the brand called "Duck Tape" instead.

fyi - yeah. i also faced the same problem with my gaffer tape. gave up taping my cam some time ago. :embrass:

Tat brand Duck Tape, if u use, u prepare to clean until u siao when u remove... no joke... i was lucky i used it to tape my pedals to the floor and the tape stuck on it only... can't imagine if it stuck on the lens...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Tat brand Duck Tape, if u use, u prepare to clean until u siao when u remove... no joke... i was lucky i used it to tape my pedals to the floor and the tape stuck on it only... can't imagine if it stuck on the lens...

DCA - would u believe me if i tell u i know...

... cos i used it once on my DSLR body b4... :what: :sweat:

I thought that was so - which was why I intentionally tried to minimise the load on the tape - such as by making sure there was no stretching involved, making sure that there is no weight bearing on the tape. from my experiements it seemed that the tape, when stuck vertically unstretched, can't even bear its own weight! Much less stuck on the ceiling of the vehicle...that one confirm drop...

I'll try your solution of letting the adhesive grip the surface first...but thats gonna be a littel hard in the interior of a vehicle or some other surfaces...perhaps I use scotch tape to stick the gaffer tape first...hahahaa...

There is no length of tape that is exposed...it's all on the roll. Or are you suggesting that the outest layer is oxidised. If so, how many layers would I have to discard on the roll before using? Scarly all the way to the core also lidat :p

laokayu said:
I used to have that problem, especially on stretched surfaces. The solution was to hold or clamp the tape in place first so that the adhesive has time to get a firm grip on the surface. Once the tape had got a good grip, it remained there firmly.

Also, perhaps the length of tape that is exposed, may have its adhesive oxidised or some chemical reaction / ageing may have happened. That would render it to lose its stickiness. Solution would be to discard that length which was exposed.

And you know what the funny thing is? Things which I have stuck before a long time ago remained stuck...(ie when I first bought the tape). However, now when using new tape from the old roll, can't stick anymore well. It sticks, but falls off after a while.

vince123123 said:
There is no length of tape that is exposed...it's all on the roll. Or are you suggesting that the outest layer is oxidised. If so, how many layers would I have to discard on the roll before using? Scarly all the way to the core also lidat :p
What I mean is the length of tape that is outermost in the roll, ie at the circumference. That length is most likely to be oxidised when left unused for long.

with our famous singapore heat, the heat in ur car is even higher. probably the glue evaporate faster.

It was there for only one day before it dropped off. I can test at home if you are telling me that the heat is the issue.

Lenscapes said:
with our famous singapore heat, the heat in ur car is even higher. probably the glue evaporate faster.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
wah u evil man.... u kena liao now u still recommend to others.... :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.