Missing Pics on D100

Status
Not open for further replies.

meepokman

Mar 30, 2004
all around the world
www.yclim.net
I'm not sure if you fellow D100 users face the same prob. I just returned from Beijing. Along the trip I realized that some of the pics I took are missing.

How do I know its missing? well...I always take a shot twice esp if it is important (a habit I acquired while freelancing). But when I review my pics, I only find 1 shot and not 2.

This has happened to me alot of times during the whole trip. It is starting to piss me off.

Anyone have faced the same prob? If not...then ill really have to make the trip down to bukit merah liao :(

Never had this problem when I am using my D100. But just a speculation, could it be the CF card?

Never have that problem. Is there a gap in the file name sequencing? What about when you dl the pics from the flash card to comp? Are the photos still missing? When reviewing your pics, how do you know you only have the one shot and not 2?

Have used the D100 for 2 years and never had this problem either. Cheers,

meepokman said:
nope....after d/l to the comp...the pics are still missing...

damn...then it must be the CF card. Its less then 6 months old!!
And is there a gap in the filename number sequencing?
What brand of CF is it?

meepokman said:
nope....after d/l to the comp...the pics are still missing...

damn...then it must be the CF card. Its less then 6 months old!!

Are thre gaps between your file names.. like DSC0001.. then next is 03 instead.. meaning that 02 probably was deleted.. Been using my D100 for 6 months.. no problems.. 18K plus images..

If there was a problem with the CF card, the camera should flag off, right, like giving some kind of error message? If not, then there might be a problem with the camera too.

(1) I did not notice if there is any gaps in sequencing. But as far as I remember...there arent any gaps. But I am also positively sure I took the 2nd pic.

(2) The CF card is Hagiwara 1GB (it is orange in colour thus i believe it is 40x)
I thought it was the card but I reformatted it during the trip. Nevertheless pics will still go missing.

(3) Nope...there wasnt any error flags shown byt he camera.

meepokman said:
(1) I did not notice if there is any gaps in sequencing. But as far as I remember...there arent any gaps. But I am also positively sure I took the 2nd pic.
If there's no gaps, then the second picture wasn't taken. Perhaps the buffer was full when you pressed the shutter. :dunno:

i'm more inclined to think it's the camera than the card. If the camera was in perfect working condition, and it was the card at fault, then 1) the camera should show some kind of error that it couldn't write to the card and 2) the numbering would jump.

Maybe you can try to repeat the error. If you can find a way to consistently repeat the error, you can either 1) claim warranty if applicable or 2) work around it otherwise. This is quite a serious thing though, missing shots.

ST1100 said:
i'm more inclined to think it's the camera than the card. If the camera was in perfect working condition, and it was the card at fault, then 1) the camera should show some kind of error that it couldn't write to the card and 2) the numbering would jump.

Maybe you can try to repeat the error. If you can find a way to consistently repeat the error, you can either 1) claim warranty if applicable or 2) work around it otherwise. This is quite a serious thing though, missing shots.

I have been trying to 're-produce' the error. I once interned at a QC department-> your problems must always be reproducable or else it would be difficult to trouble shoot.

The prob is...its hard to reproduce as it is random.

As the the probability of buffer....I believe the camera would not allow you to shoot if the buffer is overloaded. But for my case...I'm positive that the shutter did open.

meepokman said:
I'm not sure if you fellow D100 users face the same prob. I just returned from Beijing. Along the trip I realized that some of the pics I took are missing.

How do I know its missing? well...I always take a shot twice esp if it is important (a habit I acquired while freelancing). But when I review my pics, I only find 1 shot and not 2.

This has happened to me alot of times during the whole trip. It is starting to piss me off.

Anyone have faced the same prob? If not...then ill really have to make the trip down to bukit merah liao :(

Do you remember if the second picture you took came up on image review ?

I think you just accidentally switch off the camera after taking the 2nd pic.
I don't remember where I got this info - for Nikon D1x/h/100 if u switch off while it haven't finish flushing off more than 1 pics from buffer to CF, only the one of the pics would be written to the CF...

wibawa said:
I don't remember where I got this info - for Nikon D1x/h/100 if u switch off while it haven't finish flushing off more than 1 pics from buffer to CF, only the one of the pics would be written to the CF...

yeah...probably thats what I did...coz I like to twiddle with the on/off switch :confused:

and to the other qns: Yes, I did see the pic in the LCD after taking the pic.

wibawa said:

Wibawa is right. I've had the same problem with the D100 last time (I've since switched back to film for obvious reasons)

I used to fire away -- but the camera got not enough time to fully write the information on the CF. Then because of habit, I switch the camera off and then suddenly realised I will not have some of the pictures that I've taken. :bheart:

Just like film, so people complain that one cannot take the shot-of-the-moment because got not enough film... but I tell you... it's more bang b***s when you have taken the picture (or try pressing the shutter) only to realise the digital camera is unable to do so coz it's still writing OR you accidentally switch off the camera coz of habit. :cry:

With film, there's no problem unless you really have no film and it really does force you to ration your shots. It's easier to manage with film.

Good luck.. don't make the same mistake as me.... :(

housefly said:
Wibawa is right. I've had the same problem with the D100 last time (I've since switched back to film for obvious reasons)

I used to fire away -- but the camera got not enough time to fully write the information on the CF. Then because of habit, I switch the camera off and then suddenly realised I will not have some of the pictures that I've taken. :bheart:

Just like film, so people complain that one cannot take the shot-of-the-moment because got not enough film... but I tell you... it's more bang b***s when you have taken the picture (or try pressing the shutter) only to realise the digital camera is unable to do so coz it's still writing OR you accidentally switch off the camera coz of habit. :cry:

With film, there's no problem unless you really have no film and it really does force you to ration your shots. It's easier to manage with film.

Good luck.. don't make the same mistake as me.... :(

I find this behaviour interesting..

Perhaps housefly and meepokman can explain.. why do you switch of your camera immediately after taking the image? With the D100's (and now D70) reputed battery life.. I find that there is no need to do so. (I assuming that this habit originated from the miserable battery life of P&S digicams.), also meepokman.. if this is your usual practice.. then this should not be the first time you are noticing missing images.. so I find this fishy and interesting.

Also.. I find it illogical that this has prompted you to change back to film. I think a change in a bad habit is more appropriate. From my point of view.. my cam is never turned off from the time it leaves the house for a walk-about shoot.. till the time I pack it up.. and even when packed, I still leave the camera on.

gadrian said:
I find this behaviour interesting..

Perhaps housefly and meepokman can explain.. why do you switch of your camera immediately after taking the image? With the D100's (and now D70) reputed battery life.. I find that there is no need to do so.

Also.. I find it illogical that this has prompted you to change back to film. I think a change in a bad habit is more appropriate. From my point of view.. my cam is never turned off from the time it leaves the house for a walk-about shoot.. till the time I pack it up.. and even when packed, I still leave the camera on.
gadrian is right. Even this was mentioned in Thom Hogan's D100 ebook, the battery life lasts actually longer leaving it on whilst in the midsts of shooting than turning it off. Even if you leave the battery on whilst in the dry cabinet for 1 month, you squeeze off, it'll just fire as if it was never 'asleep'.

Status
Not open for further replies.