Miss Singapore Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually most of the past winners really cannot make it. i see prettier and more eloquent girls on the streets and in schools/unis. perhaps, they just can't be bothered to take part.

eyes said:
What's the whole point of being part of a competition when you're fully certain you can't win? The one that probably win is the slimming and beauty agencies that sponsored the event.

dude.. i disagree .. its the spirit of competition that counts...

does that mean there's no point for all countries apart from brazil, france and to name a few to take part in soccer world-cup because for certain they cant win? then if dats the case can exclude all the asian countries because they simply dont make the cut? :dunno:

feryl said:
actually most of the past winners really cannot make it. i see prettier and more eloquent girls on the streets and in schools/unis. perhaps, they just can't be bothered to take part.
Blame it on society's views. Many ppl still have rather negative opinion of models & beauty contestants. And of course there's the paper chase & the opinion that being a beauty contestant is not a "proper" job & has "no future", etc.

With all this negative things, its no surprise that many ladies aren't interested to be beauty contestants.

lauLEE said:
maybe our government shld "import" some beauties from South America and give them citizenship so we may get a Ms World in a couple of years!

lauLEE did it again, wahahahahah

Wanna win in everything, juz import them...... :devil:

Actually, I think it all the pretty girls can't be bothered to take part lah. A lot of it is lack of confidence, and also other social pressures. If you look at those behind-the-scene clips that they always show near the finals carefully enough, you will realise that a lot of the girls sort of seem familiar. They are the regulars who join year after year hoping to have a lucky break, there are quite few 'fresh' (for lack of a better word) participants.

And in the end, a large number of these 'regulars' then make it to the finals simply because they are so used to the routine, it's easy for them to get pass the auditions.

eyes said:
The whole world now knows women from Singapore always can't make it.

dont think it is fair to the the girls to generalize them in such a manner. most countries dont win it. only a handfull do. i particularly feel that our girls are better than most from other countries and it is essentially what the judges are looking for on the international stage - not our kind of girl.

given the choice.. i would not have any kind of girl, she has to be our very own singapore girl.

Singapore universe is for ugly bimbos

The real beauties with brains will never join the competition

FLiNcHY said:
Singapore universe is for ugly bimbos

The real beauties with brains will never join the competition

I so agree :thumbsup:

The real beautiful girls dun join Miss Singapore/Universe pageants cos they r also smart enuff to noe hw dumb it is..

wheek said:
Oh come on, not all of them are that bad. Granted some are quite terok, but some are quite ok wat. Anyway, a tiny country with a population of 4 million, how many beauties you expect?

And besides, why must a woman be tall & busty to win? Just 'cos ang moh are tall & got big breast, doesn't mean that our Asian women must look like them wat. Frankly I like our Asian women the way they are & see no need for them to be tall & have big boobs. If the mat salleh don't know how to appreciate Asian women, its their loss, not our's. Balls to them! :angry:

N tht is y u can nv b the judge for such pageants.

Then again, perhaps the local judges for these pageants r jst like u, n thts y we nv win :devil:

*place stamps over my eyes*

Thing is, offerin flat short girls who dun noe hw to tok at a Universe pageant is akin to wearin polka dots outfit at a 'best stripes design' fashion competition.

How on earth do u expect to win?

wheek said:
But you see, beauty is subjective. Many ppl are of the view that in order to be a beauty, you must be tall & have big breasts. I beg to differ & I'm sure there are those who agree with me. I'm not saying all our beauty queens are attractive but there are some (such as Jaime Teo & Joanne Peh to name a few) who are quite good looking. Problem is they don't fit in the mat salleh's definition of beauty.

To the mat salleh, its breasts & height. If you don't have them, doesn't matter how good looking you are, you're not going to win. Simple as that.

Again.. Dun cook meat whn everyone at the dinner r vegetarians. ;p

Unless all the judges r asians.

VampTreSS said:
N tht is y u can nv b the judge for such pageants.

Then again, perhaps the local judges for these pageants r jst like u, n thts y we nv win :devil:

*place stamps over my eyes*

Thing is, offerin flat short girls who dun noe hw to tok at a Universe pageant is akin to wearin polka dots outfit at a 'best stripes design' fashion competition.

How on earth do u expect to win?

By Miracle!

Not unless all the judges have asian girl fetish ;)

berryhappy said:
If I am not wrong, in countries that won frequently (or at least in the top places) e.g. Venezuala, there is a whole industry supporting beauty pageants.

I think tis will b the closest to the truth.. Jst as y local soccer sucks - No support from the Government.

Whenever a country's government puts in time, money and effort to support a particular sector, that sector will usually excel.

Perhaps tis will explain y we r lackin in certain aspects..

I don't know if my perception. But the recent years (not comparing with international standards). The standard (I mean "looks") seems to have fallen...I saw some of the commercials last night featuring some of the ladies and some of them really looked like their faces just had "car accident" or malay terms I would say "kana Lang-ga"... :what:

I mean how can these girls get there in the first place... :think: Where are the pretty ladies ????

I would not want to look down on our local girls as although it maybe as dumb and stupid to join this kinda of contest but at least they have the courage to do it. I can tell you it is not easy path as well when you join beauty contest.

I photograph some of their activities and i can tell you it's not easy to look good and beautiful in front of so many people. Why don't you guys who have negative thoughts about our local girls go join a male hunk contest if you think our local girls are not pretty enough.

The thread starter, I know you mean well but I think we should show some encouragement. And how do define beautiful? How only can you say who can make it and who can't? Who out there is to say they are a bimbos and no brains?

It's not about winning a contest. It doesn't mean that when a country who won a beauty contest means everyone in that country is beautiful. It's about getting to know other nations girls that is a good learning experince for the
girls.

All ladies in CS, are you sit there and get scrutinize by the males species? This is a free world and whoever wants to join the contest, let them be. This is part and parcel of life. Those who join the contest, I would salute them who dare to do it. Imagine wearing a swimsuit and being parade in the pubilc. Do you know how difficult that is?

Sure they may not be up to your standard but what is your standard? Cindy Crawford or Linda Evangelista. Nobody is perfect. It's true that some have brains and do not look good. And vice versa.

And those that "so call pretty girls out there", please stay away since you think you are pretty. Please, do not think you are pretty just because some people say you are pretty.

There is no way to say who is pretty or not as everyone in this world is beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Would you tell your wife/girlfriends that she is not pretty when you first go after her? To me I find this thread rather cheesy as yet again the girls are getting a low down by the males. So sad with some of the comments.

Thank you.

VampTreSS said:
Again.. Dun cook meat whn everyone at the dinner r vegetarians. ;p

Unless all the judges r asians.
That's not the point. My point is that it doesn't matter whether our beauty contestants win or not 'cos those contests are skewed towards the mat salleh's version of beauty & thus isn't a fair contest in that sense.

It's just that i don't know how girls who aren't the slightest bit good looking find the pride to even enter into these kinds of contests. Shouldn't they have some kind of mirror that tells them that they aren't good looking or something?

If i'm skinny and not hunky, you don't see my joining Manhunt contests do you.

It's just hilarious when you see some of the people that join beauty contests when they are totally the opposite of the definition of "Beauty"

Examples from this year's Miss Asian Atlanta that i covered:

http://www.pbase.com/image/27319954
and
http://www.pbase.com/image/27319958

Really wants to make me :cry: :cry: :cry:

argh ... how shallow :what: ...

Beauty is defined in many different ways.

You need not have long legs, a perfect figure or porcelain skin to be defined as beautiful.

Each of those girls are beautiful in their own way. I would say a charming personality beats a pretty face anytime. A pretty face comes and goes.. but a charming personality goes a long way...

Whether or not they seem bimbotic, they joined the competition as they would just like the experience, and that glimmer of hope and exitement of joining a competition of such prestige and a chance to travel.

True, you might say, why join a competition if you do not have the looks? This is a very pessimistic view. Look at William Hung. He wanted to sing, he tried. He didn't make it and got laughed at. But at the end of day, he can say he tried.

Yes i agree. His singing was terrible and he totally messed up the dancing. He doesn't have the looks, so why join? Waste the judges' time?

Some of us laugh cruelly at him, but others respect and admire his courage to do something he stood for and at least he tried to fulfill that wish he has, and will not die regretting that he did not try.

He walked off quietly and perhaps sad that he didn't make it.. but he tried! As for those who kept arguing that they're good, they're the best.. they believe in themselves and think they're good enough to make the cut, however, it's a reality check as there are others who are simply better. But.. they still tried!

You might also argue, Miss Universe is an international pageant and standards are high.. so you should know your own limits.. blah blah... we've never won..

So would you rather Singapore is not represented at all? S-League may suck big time.. but at least they're trying and we have football clubs here. It's a start. That's where societies and people improve and soon we get better and better at it. It's a love for football .. to play with friends, or to play competitively.. why run them down like this?

I wouldn't deny that some of the contestants who entered the competition didn't meet up to expectations, but they must have had a reason to want to join. Maybe they needed the money, or maybe it was just for the experience, a stab at the chance, a step to fulfilling their dreams. If they don't win, they walk away and either they're given a reality check, or they improve on themselves or their lives from this failure .. and move on.

Well, to each their own, but that's my few cents worth. And to those who are joining some competition, good luck and i admire your courage.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.