Misinterpretation? Discrimination? No, the problem is the understanding of English!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fumiryu

Dec 30, 2006
fumiryu.deviantart.com
After the thread was closed, somebody posted another thread in another section of the forum and here it goes:
There was a dispute somewhere in cyberspace very recently. It all started when I posted a photo and wrote some captions about this photo.

OldManThread01.jpg

The caption is this:
Have you planned for your future? Have you planned for your retirement? If not, better do so NOW! Unless you want to end up like the old man in the picture.

Somebody then queried me why did I say that the old man was having a hard life and I replied as followed:
OldManThread02.jpg

(All user IDs has been blanked off, to protect the originator of the post, except mine)

He then commented that Money is not everything and also, he felt that I had little respect for people.
OldManThread03.jpg

I agreed with him that money is not the most important thing in life. However, money seemed to affect the most important thing in life. And I quoted some real life examples about money affecting the most important thing in life.
OldManThread04.jpg

However, he claimed that I am still missing some point. At this juncture, somebody else commented about love and fighting over assets. In reality, fighting over assets happened more frequently.
OldManThread05.jpg

Another member the commented about marriage and briefly describe more about it. Fair enough, but I replied, in this generation, if you have money, you have power, you have status, simple as that. No two ways about it. Somebody gave up then.
OldManThread06.jpg

Somebody then commented that money is the root of all evil. However, he did not know that I went through an Entrepreneur course and we were taught and convinced that money is NOT the root of all evil. Lack of money is the root to all evil. Reason is very simple, if you have money, most likely, you will be contented. If you have no money, you will think of ways to obtain it. Some extreme cases will be resorting to crime! Also, if the government need to promulgate a law about taking care of parents, really there is something wrong!
OldManThread07.jpg

OldManThread08.jpg

Another user then quoted an example of how the couple thought out of the box to make money. Good! Thank you! It gives me another view of things. Another user commented that he and his army mates discussed about such topics.
OldManThread09.jpg

Somebody was very furious and fought for the old man.
OldManThread10.jpg

2 users then commented about contributing to the nation, rich but wear simple clothes, etc...
OldManThread11.jpg

I then replied about my definition of success, my dream/ambition and highlighted about my incompetency in English Language. By the way, my standard is O Level D7 to E8 standard. Got F9 before.

I also queried whether anybody willing to take up such cleaning jobs in Singapore since somebody fought for the old man. Yes you can be a hero and fight for justice, but are you willing to do such jobs? I doubt so. Also, meeting up to discuss about this issue is a waste of time and resources.
OldManThread12.jpg

Somebody highlight about karma. How much do you know about karma and spiritual related issues?
OldManThread13.jpg

Next, I was questioned the following:
OldManThread14.jpg

I then answered to his questions:
OldManThread15.jpg

Finally, somebody is objective enough to discuss about the picture, which I never have a chance to comment then. I will answer it here.
OldManThread16.jpg

1. He is not begging for money, so I don't think the title which was suggested, was appropriate.

2. Using 24-70 F2.8L lens.

3. No, I was using aperture priority mode.

4. Did not notice about the architecture then.

5. I cropped in such a way to make the subject in the centre.

Objective and constructive comments. Thank you.:) Will learn from here.

Moderator replied the message.
OldManThread17.jpg

OldManThread18.jpg

Moderator then called me to speak to me about this issue and I told him that I have already answered his questions. He then said that he will lock the thread and move on, to close the case. I questioned him, how am I going to post pictures since it is "A photo whenever possible" thread? He just said move on and closed the thread. I did not say I agreed to close the thread. Why did you put words into my mouth? Do you understand simple English?

After the thread was closed, somebody posted another thread in another section of the forum and here it goes:
Critics.jpg

Did I say that I am discriminating the old man? Did I condemn him? I only want to bring the message across everybody to do your financial planning and your retirement plans early. Since, when am I targetting at the old man? I can also sue you for slander!

A simple photo can OT until these extent. It also reconfirm one thing, the understanding of English is extremely poor. If my grades for English Language is D7 to E8 standard and I can understand such basic English, I do not see the reason why people who are more highly educated and more proficient in English Language, can't grasp the point.

Please do not refer here and there and say someone, somewhere, or whatever. All complains and cirticism should be directed towards me and nobody else, as I am the originator of this message. Do it openly here and not PM or talking behind my back, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Yes, understand.

You have very special and unique thinking.
Hope you have a smooth sailing life with your uniqueness among the majority.

Critics.jpg

Did I say that I am discriminating the old man? Did I condemn him? I only want to bring the message across everybody to do your financial planning and your retirement plans early. Since, when am I targetting at the old man? I can also sue you for slander!

A simple photo can OT until these extent. It also reconfirm one thing, the understanding of English is extremely poor. If my grades for English Language is D7 to E8 standard and I can understand such basic English, I do not see the reason why people who are more highly educated and more proficient in English Language, can't grasp the point.

Please do not refer here and there and say someone, somewhere, or whatever. All complains and cirticism should be directed towards me and nobody else, as I am the originator of this message. Do it openly here and not PM or talking behind my back, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

I do not fully agree / disagree every thing the quotes that you put up. But again, this is a forum and let the opinions flows as everyone have different values. No right or wrong in absolute terms, just individual perceptions.

Hi TS, honestly speaking your photo does certainly reflect the quality of life that some Singaporeans are leading. While some of singaporeans are doing well, there is a certain segment of our population finding it tough.

I believe that picture of yours alone was enough to relate to us your point of view but I do find your caption abit unnecessary and to certain extend abit disrespectful to the old man.

I agreed that others was right in stating that the old man was doing a honest living and there is nothing shameful about that however I also believe not many ppl, or anyone with a decent education would take on such jobs during later stage in of their life even when job becomes elusive to them due to age rather than qualifications.

Touching on such subjects is sensitive and bound to recieve harsh criticism and flamebites. Most of us would just look at the photo, feel sorry for the old man working such a tough job at his age and move on with our life without thinking more...

I understand your idea is to bring ppl's attention to planning for retirement. But somehow, it really rubbed ppl the wrong way. :(

Just my 2 cents...
Not all of us are blessed with good jobs with good prospects. Some of us are stuck with jobs with little prospect and in bad times, it's hard to find new job retrenchment. Some of us do not really have the luxury in life to plan for retirement or career, would gladly take on any job that would help us bring the bacon home.

Even then, it does take alot of courage to embark in a job, like the oldman's, especially during the sunset period of our life. :cry: :cry: when we should be enjoying our retirement instead of slogging

Well, if one has a lot of time to print screens galore and then post them in a thread..

I gave up reading after the third post, at least print screen bigger, my English is not that good but my eyesight does not need to get worse.

But anyways the time is better spent planning for retirement! =) =) =)

Well, if one has a lot of time to print screens galore and then post them in a thread..

I gave up reading after the third post, at least print screen bigger, my English is not that good but my eyesight does not need to get worse.

But anyways the time is better spent planning for retirement! =) =) =)

Hi, there is a max resolution which we can post. I have tried my best to increase the size of the picture a little bit. Now it should be better.

Great, please plan immediately.

Yes, understand.

You have very special and unique thinking.
Hope you have a smooth sailing life with your uniqueness among the majority.

What do you mean by special and unique thinking? Appreciate it if you could elaborate further.

I do not fully agree / disagree every thing the quotes that you put up. But again, this is a forum and let the opinions flows as everyone have different values. No right or wrong in absolute terms, just individual perceptions.

From start to end, did I say that I am discriminating or condemning the old man? I only said that people will end up like him if proper financial planning is not done.

If in the beginning, I said that the old man suck or screw up, that will be a different issue, which I did not do so. Hence, why am I accused of discriminating the old man? If the writer still felt that he/she is correct that I am discriminating the old man, I can only comment that his/her understanding of English Language is not there.

Hi, there is a max resolution which we can post. I have tried my best to increase the size of the picture a little bit. Now it should be better.

Great, please plan immediately.

Too wordy la. I see already I rather go and study. =D

Live and let learn, why blow this thing up? Would rather move on, or at least talk to the Mods. They can be quite reasonable if you are reasonable, I guess.

Hi TS, honestly speaking your photo does certainly reflect the quality of life that some Singaporeans are leading. While some of singaporeans are doing well, there is a certain segment of our population finding it tough.

Who is TS?

I believe that picture of yours alone was enough to relate to us your point of view but I do find your caption abit unnecessary and to certain extend abit disrespectful to the old man.

What should the caption be?

Why did you say that I was disrespectful to the old man when I did not describe anything about the old man?

I agreed that others was right in stating that the old man was doing a honest living and there is nothing shameful about that however I also believe not many ppl, or anyone with a decent education would take on such jobs during later stage in of their life even when job becomes elusive to them due to age rather than qualifications.

I agree with you and that is why I queried, will anyone take up such a job in the future, which nobody answered that portion.

Touching on such subjects is sensitive and bound to recieve harsh criticism and flamebites. Most of us would just look at the photo, feel sorry for the old man working such a tough job at his age and move on with our life without thinking more...

We have to be objective, and not emotional.

I understand your idea is to bring ppl's attention to planning for retirement. But somehow, it really rubbed ppl the wrong way. :(

Just my 2 cents...
Not all of us are blessed with good jobs with good prospects. Some of us are stuck with jobs with little prospect and in bad times, it's hard to find new job retrenchment. Some of us do not really have the luxury in life to plan for retirement or career, would gladly take on any job that would help us bring the bacon home.

Even then, it does take alot of courage to embark in a job, like the oldman's, especially during the sunset period of our life. :cry: :cry: when we should be enjoying our retirement instead of slogging

Have you tried? Have you done your utmost? Is your desire and your determination strong enough? What is your attitude towards work? Are you ready to risk and accept challenges? Or you just want a peaceful, steady and stable life? You decide.

Too wordy la. I see already I rather go and study. =D

Live and let learn, why blow this thing up? Would rather move on, or at least talk to the Mods. They can be quite reasonable if you are reasonable, I guess.

If these few parties willing to sit down and talk, to resolve all issues, that will be great. However, it did not happen. The moderator shut down the whole forum.

Reading all of this it appears that you have made your point.

Why continue and attract only criticism.

Move on :)

Reading all of this it appears that you have made your point.

Why continue and attract only criticism.

Move on :)

time to close the thread loh.

Status
Not open for further replies.