Mirrorless vs DSLR -- Debunking The Mirrorless Hype

Most likely dslr will be history. ?..

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

I find the argument about how much easier it is to carry a mirrorless camera around in a bag vs a DSLR very disingenuous. You could be carrying a brick around in the bag, it doesn't matter.

What matters is how it feels to shoot with and it's here the trend to go super small on the mirrorless side works against ergonomics and why sony are slowly making the A7 series bigger. They are basically the same size as a canon 6d and 100g lighter. Add in glass - worse glass in the case of the Sony - and the differences are negligible.

As was said earlier, choose the right tool for the job but a lot people taken in by mirrorless are armchair photographers spending way more time talking about their camera specs than they are shooting/sharing any photos :)

Eventually the two product types will merge into something new, until then choose what is right for you and spend more time shooting :)

Hi

Why do you say "worse glass in case of the Sony"?

I have Canon and Sony and Nikon

Of the 3, the Canon lenses are the worst

The Sony Zeiss lenses are excellent

I think you are being biased

This is not fair to new photographers

I find the argument about how much easier it is to carry a mirrorless camera around in a bag vs a DSLR very disingenuous. You could be carrying a brick around in the bag, it doesn't matter.

What matters is how it feels to shoot with and it's here the trend to go super small on the mirrorless side works against ergonomics and why sony are slowly making the A7 series bigger. They are basically the same size as a canon 6d and 100g lighter. Add in glass - worse glass in the case of the Sony - and the differences are negligible.

As was said earlier, choose the right tool for the job but a lot people taken in by mirrorless are armchair photographers spending way more time talking about their camera specs than they are shooting/sharing any photos :)

Eventually the two product types will merge into something new, until then choose what is right for you and spend more time shooting :)

Hi David,
I agree with much of your sentiments in your well-written post however you probably need to qualify your statement regarding 'worse glass in case of the Sony'. Perhaps you mean worse in terms of selection and not quality? Many of the newer FE selections are world class, if not best in class, such as the FE 55/1.8.
Or perhaps you meant worse in terms of weight since many of Sony's higher quality glass aren't small or light comparatively, and may negate the weight savings in the body. Add in some additional batteries and DSLRs might even come out ahead?

But where I'd disagree is carrying weight and bulk does matter. But this is largely not a mirrorless vs DSLR issue.
There are advantages that mirrorless brings but I think too much emphasis has been placed on just the reduced camera depth.

Camera & Audio/Hifi industrial almost same same ..............in the near future.

DSLR is like LP -> only a selected few will want to play them.
Mirrorless is like CD -> slowly also losing ground to below.

Mobile phone & all the rest of the super small cam is like digital music that can be downloaded/copy (legally & illegally).

All the major LP/CD shop closing down 1-by-1 along with mass mkt brands making the eqpts to play them.

Last edited:
Is it that much smaller? Panasonic GX8... m43...

dsc06264.jpeg

There's always manual RF lenses to go along with mirrorless setups ;)

35nok1.4tt.jpg

Simple fact is cameras, like many things made by man, have constantly evolved from the very beginning...camera obscura..pinhole camera, Niepce and Daguerre and box cameras, then Talbot and his calotypes, then Kodak and the camera for the masses, and then the twin reflex cameras and Barnack and his 35mm mini rangefinder, and then the slr, and then digital and all of it's formats, the camera phone, then the mirrorless cameras... Guess what people still use all of these different cameras to this very day. :)

Another thing...as far as I can tell from researching it pretty thoroughly too I might add...to this day nothing will out resolve a Daguerreotype!

Last edited: