Mirrorless setup

htngwilliam

May 17, 2005
Tiny island
Guys

I am looking for a mirrorless setup hence I would like to seek some advice.

1. I usually take landscape photography and some street photography.

2. Prefer light system

3. Considering 4:3 vs APC-S but can't make up my mind as APC-S has larger sensor but Olympus and Panasonic seems to have a wider range of lens compared to Sony and Fujifilm

4. If I am to choose Olympus, I wonder whether I should buy the old EM5 or EM10. EM5 has 5 axis IS and also weather seal body. The 2nd hand price is rather cheap also. EM10 probably has built in wifi

5. I am thinking of starting with EM5 then learn along the way then maybe a few years down the road, there might be a lot of full frame options

Thanks! Looking forward for some suggestions

[...]2. Prefer light system
[...]then maybe a few years down the road, there might be a lot of full frame options
Unless there is a major breakthrough in getting light material and glass these two points are mutually exclusive.

If your intention is to take landscape and street photo.
You should really consider fujifilm.

The lens selection may not be as extensive as m43 system but the current selection of excellent prime and zoom is more then sufficient for your needs.

Unless you feel that the Fuji x system is not small enough for you then you should probably consider m43.

Like what octarine said. The focus shld really be on light weight.
Else it pretty much defeat the purpose of going mirrorless.

Hi,
I migrated from D90 to Olympus. I chose the lightest Olympus system EPL-6. Main reason is I want the lightest camera for travelling needs and frequent usage as having a DSLR only bringing out once a while.

For landscape, the problem is the buttons are small. There is a new 7-14mm (14-28mm) but filters may have a problem.

So far had been using Rokinson 7.5mm fisheye for landscape.

I will recommend Em-5 mark II as there is a wifi feature which make it easier for landscape. You can rent for a day or visit to Olympus show room to test the camera.

Good luck!

Last edited:
In the end, TS, you have to test out the system hands on to see which one you prefer. You can check out Fuji at Fuji's showroom at Funan level 4. And you can check out Olympus at their service center at River Valley.

I am using Fuji XT-1 myself for a lighter system with the 10-24 UWA. Very very sharp lens with minimal distortion, and you can use filters too. But Fuji's AF is a lot slower and the camera does not have a flip screen. But their lenses are excellent from their kit lenses to their primes, UWA and telephoto.

Olympus m43 has lots of lens choices, but some of the lenses are not that great. PLus, their UWAs have bulging front element. The panasonic version flares quite a bit, but the new Olympus version is really excellent. But the Olympus UWA is quite a bit more expensive (70% more than the Fuji 10-24). The better lenses from Olympus are from their PRO range. Really good, but more expensive as well. One more thing about Olympus is that their 5-axis vibration control is unbeatable.

So pros and cons from each camp. You really need to decide for yourself what is more important to you.

Last edited:
I think you can't go far wrong with E-M10. Do read up on the advantages and disadvantages of a smaller sensor. If you want light and affordable for Fuji, you can always get an X-E1 off B&S for about 350 and the kit lens 18-55 (which is a fantastic performer and good build) for about 300. Light and affordable.