Mirrorless or DSLR? (Sony or Canon) HELP

drpessimist

Jan 6, 2014
Singapore
Currently considering between 2 cameras to get, mind helping me out decide?

Either the SONY A7Rii or the Canon 5DM3?

HELP.

I mainly take all rounded photography, but moslty street photography and racing photography.

Cheers.

HELP.

I mainly take all rounded photography, but moslty street photography and racing photography.

Cheers.

I've learnt (the hard way) that choosing a system is not about choosing by camera body, its by lens. A camera body will last you 3-1 years, but a lens can last you a very very long time.

For street photography, the common 28mm ~ 85mm are easily available on both systems. But for racing photography, what do you need ? This is where Canon's sports photography range of lens will excel vs the very limited choice on Sony (being a new system)

Given that each system will cost a fair bit of $$. Suggest you spend a little upfront and rent each camera and shoot to your hearts content with them. Pretty sure that will answer your question better than any of us can.

Seriously, if you intend to shoot.sports, dslr is the way to go. Response and af is very very much faster.

the thing for sport is, i will only take 4times a year, and each time for 2 days only. its more for street and landscape, personal use. i consider the 5d due to the range of lenses, but then the slimmer and lighter a7rii is very enticing due to ease to bring around, and its new 5-axis sensor...

i cant make up my mind really.

the thing for sport is, i will only take 4times a year, and each time for 2 days only. its more for street and landscape, personal use. i consider the 5d due to the range of lenses, but then the slimmer and lighter a7rii is very enticing due to ease to bring around, and its new 5-axis sensor...

i cant make up my mind really.

then rent both and try it out.

I would say.. the better camera is the 1 u carry with you. Not the 1 at home.

Every system have its pro n cons. If you can afford. Get both else.. weight what is more important for you and decide from there. And make the best out of it to benefit you..

Last edited:
For your "personal use" photography, I would suggest the a7ii instead of the Rii. Do u really need the extra megapixels? Your HDD will thank u for that. Better still, if u intend to pair it with native zooms with OSS, get the A7i, much cheaper with similar image quality as the a7ii.

Then take the savings, buy a canon 7D2 and perhaps pair it with a 400/5.6 . now u have a capable and lightweight birding/sporting setup.

A7Rii imo is sort of pointless for streets and maybe even motorsports.
The 42mp is overkill.
The situation of the 2 genres usually mean that you can't make full use of the resolution.
(ie. moving subjects; situational focus; not optimal lighting )
The street photography genre is also less about resolution and printing/sharing big, so again that 42mp is not necessary.
Consider a A7II instead imo.

The DSLR still has more consistency for AF speed in more situations, last I checked, though A7Rii may have improved on it since its newer.

Mirrorless weight counts

The two genres aren't complimentary I'm afraid. If you're going to buy one camera there will be some compromises.
I have to agree that currently DSLRs are more suited to action photography. Anything from racing to sports to wildlife to kids running around.
Of course DSLRs work perfectly well for street photography too but if you must have something more discreet have you considered a Sony RX1R II or Leica Q if you must have FF. Or Fuji X100T, Ricoh GR if you don't mind APS-C. Or a LX100 or similar if you want a zoom.
I don't know your budget but many ppl like DSLRs for its versatility and all-purpose shooting but have a smaller compact for when they want to go light.

I use to carried 4 prime lenses n two body not anymore .
Nex n 1 Prime lens now

HELP.

Cheers.

Think for racing, you may need to consider either Canon 7DM2 or 1DX

the thing for sport is, i will only take 4times a year, and each time for 2 days only. its more for street and landscape, personal use. i consider the 5d due to the range of lenses, but then the slimmer and lighter a7rii is very enticing due to ease to bring around, and its new 5-axis sensor... i cant make up my mind really.

U shoot sports for only 4 times a year and u seems not very particular about it but yet u still mention it initial. After comments given, then u seems not so particular about sports. So to me your heart seems to be with the A7R2. Personally I shoot sports only once a year but iam still particular of the system.

Actually how did u narrow down your choice to A7R2 and 5D3? I can only see that both are FF camera, other than that they are not pretty similar .