Mirror locked up when shutter button is pressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2009
Hi,

Anyone facing this problem? have not use the cam for weeks and today wanted to shoot for fun. but after pressing the shutter button, mirror locked up and remain there until I pressed the shutter button again to release the mirror. no image is recorded onto the memory card. what is the cause of this problem? tried on both Auto Focus and Manual Focus lens, same problem.

Thanks.

Hi,

Anyone facing this problem? have not use the cam for weeks and today wanted to shoot for fun. but after pressing the shutter button, mirror locked up and remain there until I pressed the shutter button again to release the mirror. no image is recorded onto the memory card. what is the cause of this problem? tried on both Auto Focus and Manual Focus lens, same problem.

Thanks.

Menu is set for sutter release for "lock up mirror for cleaning"?

Built-in feature by manufacturer. They hint to you that it is about time you upgraded to the latest camera model made by them.

What mode u using to shoot? (bulb mode?)
Did u activate the mirror lockup? (for cleaning etc?)
If say memory card not faulty, u may had activated mirror lock up for cleaning?

Or camera know u intend to buy new one & it giving u a reason to do so.?

Last edited:
Have you checked all settings using your camera manual? It could be more successful than fiddling with Auto Focus ...

Hi,

Thanks.

Are you shooting in Bulb mode? And why on earth do you think this has to d with AF?

Thank you for all your contribution.

Camera is not set at Bulb Mode. Same problem when set at M, AV, TV, P Mode. whether camera accidentally set at mirror lock up for cleaning, this I have to check on it tonight. but I did not fiddle with any function at all.

Thank you for all your contribution.

Camera is not set at Bulb Mode. Same problem when set at M, AV, TV, P Mode. whether camera accidentally set at mirror lock up for cleaning, this I have to check on it tonight. but I did not fiddle with any function at all.

Read the manual again. Most DSLR have this mirror lockup (MLU) mode to suppress vibrations from mirrorslap which is useful when taking telephoto shots. Check the custom function to confirm MLU is not enabled.

The manual will also have the reference to the 'reset to factory settings' function. This helps to remove all settings you might have done accidentally.

Last edited:
I am assuming you have read the manual and it is not some accidental camera function that was activated.

Was there an error displayed on the lcd?
My 5d2 had similar issues, mirror assembly swings up and freezes when shutter button depressed, turned out to be an expensive motherboard failure.

Ryan

I am assuming you have read the manual and it is not some accidental camera function that was activated.

My 5d2 had similar issues, mirror assembly swings up and freezes when shutter button depressed, turned out to be an expensive motherboard failure.

Ryan

TS mentioned mirror release after shutter pressed second time.. definitely sounds like mirror lock up

TS mentioned mirror release after shutter pressed second time.. definitely sounds like mirror lock up

For mirror lock up function, the first depress of shutter release button, mirror goes up. Second depress of shutter release button, shutter door open, and the mirror will return after shutter door closed.

Hi,

Thanks.

But at mirror lock up mode, there will be an image stored in memory card

Ryan

This is also my suspect. Quite similar to D80 err problem

Can you check Custom Function Settings?

On my 650D, function C.Fn-5: mirror lockup:
0: Disable
1: Enable

Thank you for all your contributions to help. Problem finally solved when i removed the battery grip. when i re-attached the battery grip to the body, mirror lock up happens again. without battery grip attached, shutter functioning as per normal.

Once again thank you so much.

I think most probably that's why I always prefer the originals having peace of mind.

Yes, agree with you.
the original battery grip for D800 is expensive than the rest of the Nikon DSLR, so I rather go without battery grip for the D800 than use a third party one.

Just to clear all.your doubts on 3rd parties grip. It is the original battery grip that causes the problem. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.