Mirror Lock Up ( MLU )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pang-Jio Man

Aug 22, 2007
hi

how to do mirrow lock up to prevent vibration??

thanks for enlightment.:)

when you take a shot, your mirror smacks up to allow light to get to your sensor when it smacks up, your camera will vibrate what~

cheers! :D

when you take a shot, your mirror smacks up to allow light to get to your sensor when it smacks up, your camera will vibrate what~

cheers! :D

That's not what he's asking. I suggest you try a google search for mirror lock-up.

why not just use the exposure delay function (can't remember if this is the proper name)

when you press the trigger down all the way the mirror goes up/ down first, and there is short delay before the shutter opens.

What camera are you using? Thats the most important question.

What camera are you using? Thats the most important question.

Yup that is an important question :) Not all cameras can do that
TS can try google to see how it helps in getting sharp pictures

Ryan

Last edited:
CANON go to the manual, under custom function setting and enable mirror lock up.

U have to mount camera on tripod
First shutter click, mirror lock up
Second shutter click, shutter open and sensor take image, then shuuter close and mirror flaps down..

TS is using a D80 if I read his posts correctly.

D80 does not have a true MLU, but as vonlichenstein pointed out, he can use exposure delay.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=19914932

You should use MLU (or pseudo MLU) with tripod and remote shutter release.

it doesn't? my D80 menu has this mirror lock up function in the menu (never figured out how to use it though, i just used exposure delay)

it doesn't? my D80 menu has this mirror lock up function in the menu (never figured out how to use it though, i just used exposure delay)

:dunno: Just what I found in the thread I linked to. The "MLU" is for sensor cleaning.

That's not what he's asking. I suggest you try a google search for mirror lock-up.

So what does mirror lock up do? his question was clearly how can MLU prevent vibration. Do tell us your answer to his question

So what does mirror lock up do? his question was clearly how can MLU prevent vibration. Do tell us your answer to his question

I don't have the answer to his question. But pardon me for kpoing.
I don't think the TS is asking 'how can MLU prevent vibration'.
MY interpretation is he already knows MLU can prevent vibration. He is asking how to activate that function.
'How to do' & 'How do' mean different thing.
Maybe I am wrong :dunno:

Last edited:
The mirror slap will cause significant vibration especially if you are shoot macro-photography.

The MLU will let the mirror lock up first on the first press shutter release, the shutter curtain will only be open when you press of the shutter release again. Hence it will reduce the vibration caused by the mirror slap.

For D80, there are not MLU, the so-call MLU function is just for sensor cleaning.
The mode is call "exposure delay". When the shutter release is press, the mirror will slap up, the shutter curtain will only open appox less than 1sec later.
This delay is greatly reduce the vibration caused by the mirror slap too.

As mentioned, both methods are only useful when use with tripod and remote cable released, or else the vibration of the hand pressing the shutter will too cause vibration.

I don't have the answer to his question. But pardon me for kpoing.
I don't think the TS is asking 'how can MLU prevent vibration'.
MY interpretation is he already knows MLU can prevent vibration. He is asking how to activate that function.
'How to do' & 'How do' mean different thing.
Maybe I am wrong :dunno:

Only TS with interesting user name can answer the question, but I interpret it same as you.

"how to do mirrow lock up to prevent vibration??"

Sounds like he wants to know how to do it, rather than "how does MLU prevent vibration".

Anyway, since we're on the topic of MLU, it might be worth noting that MLU is most useful at certain shutter speed range. The exact value is subject to much debate, but take it as between 1/30 sec and 1/2 second with a large margin. For faster shutter speed, the movement will be frozen. For slower shutter speed, the amount of time of light entering the shutter is more than the short period of vibration.

Having said that, when tripod mounted, remote released and static scene, there's never an image quality penalty to using MLU.

On my Canon, if I'm too lazy to attach my remote release, I use timer mode with MLU enabled in custom function. That way, I press the shutter release button, mirror goes up, and a few seconds later, shutter curtain opens.

Last edited:

His question was not. His question is how to DO IT, so as to prevent vibration..

And I asked which camera he is using, so we can advise appropriately.. Diff cameras have diff settings.

And I asked which camera he is using, so we can advise appropriately.. Diff cameras have diff settings.

We've answered that earlier.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4316962#post4316962

Nikon D80 (and posts above describe the solution for that camera).

Also...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3409493#post3409493

So the correct answer is : pay me and I'll teach you :bsmilie:

No, you clearly misread his question... As the others (bEnd1ck, lennyl, Gavinting) have pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.