Mirror Lock Up feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
I am learning more and more stuffs about my cam day by day. Just now, I came across the topic of mirror lockup feature, but I wonder for those of you who uses slow high tele lenses got bother to use the MLU feature of your cam or not? Does it really makes a difference? Say if I use a slow lens and shoot at the standard shuttle range (1/60~1/250), will confirm get blur pixs one?

MLU good for taking firework

MLU is good for static objects. once MLU is engaged, you cannot focus anymore so if subject moves it will be OOF. MLU wil reduce vibration caused by the slapping of the mirror. This is greatly magnified with longer telephoto lenses.

when mirror flips up it bangs at the end of the movement against the camera body. This stopping of the mirror is more or less damped depending of the camera body, in any way it introduces vibrations into the body which will cause motion blur. This is particularly visible on long telephoto lenses and for macro photograpy. mirror lock up allows you to flip the mirror, calm down the camera and then to release the shutter...

MLU good for taking firework

hmmm...but with MLU the activation of the shuttle will be slowed down also and when taking firework isn't speed a criteria? sorry i am a newbie maybe I am wrong.

The main function of mirror lock up is to reduce vibration of the mirror slamming while making exposure
For extreme close up, super long tele, any vibration will affect image quality, hence using mirror lock up is recommended.

Why should it be slower?

I think what he meant was that the reaction to shoot the firework will be delayed. 1st press to MLU, wait for a while for cam to calm dowm den 2nd press to release the shutter. For MLU to work, you have to wait 1 to 2 seconds between the 1st and 2nd shutter release.

I think what he meant was that the reaction to shoot the firework will be delayed. 1st press to MLU, wait for a while for cam to calm dowm den 2nd press to release the shutter. For MLU to work, you have to wait 1 to 2 seconds between the 1st and 2nd shutter release.
is there a way to keep that mirror up all the time? :dunno: ;p

is there a way to keep that mirror up all the time? :dunno: ;p

All the time? Yes, of course, revert back to PnS cam :bsmilie: Sorry just kidding:D

Why should it be slower?

Precisely as DeSwitch had explained. If you use MLU, the shuttle will be on hold for a while to let the vibration fully diminished.

How so?

e.g. Bulb mode. One press mirror locks up. Wait for the right moment. One press the shutter opens. One press the shutter closes.

As mentioned, the application of MLU is limited to shooting subjects that don't require you to move your camera to track it. Nor should there be any "rush".

If you need to track it, e.g. shooting fast action sports, you would already be using a fast shutter speed, thus, the effects of mirror slap would be far less pronounced. At any rate, you need to be able to see through your VF all the time, so you can't possibly be locking up the mirror to take your shot.

How so?

e.g. Bulb mode. One press mirror locks up. Wait for the right moment. One press the shutter opens. One press the shutter closes.

As mentioned, the application of MLU is limited to shooting subjects that don't require you to move your camera to track it. Nor should there be any "rush".

If you need to track it, e.g. shooting fast action sports, you would already be using a fast shutter speed, thus, the effects of mirror slap would be far less pronounced. At any rate, you need to be able to see through your VF all the time, so you can't possibly be locking up the mirror to take your shot.

Yup.. true. My bad, I totally missed this sequence. :embrass:

Precisely as DeSwitch had explained. If you use MLU, the shuttle will be on hold for a while to let the vibration fully diminished.
Errr..., first, if you don't mind a little correction. Shutter (speed) and not shuttle.

If you use MLU for taking shoot (there is MLU for cleaning the sensor), shutter speed no need to change. What you need is delayed time between MLU and shutter release (thus activated shutter curtain for shutter speed time). For camera with no delayed shutter release, you can cover your lens with hat first for 1 or 2 seconds to allow vibration settle down before sensor exposed to scene. Yes, this method (with hat or something to cover front of lens) need you to give extra time for exposure (increase shutter speed by 1 or 2 seconds depend on how long you will delayed the exposure).

Regards,
Arto.

where can i find it in 400D for mirror lock up feature?

Errr..., first, if you don't mind a little correction. Shutter (speed) and not shuttle.

If you use MLU for taking shoot (there is MLU for cleaning the sensor), shutter speed no need to change. What you need is delayed time between MLU and shutter release (thus activated shutter curtain for shutter speed time). For camera with no delayed shutter release, you can cover your lens with hat first for 1 or 2 seconds to allow vibration settle down before sensor exposed to scene. Yes, this method (with hat or something to cover front of lens) need you to give extra time for exposure (increase shutter speed by 1 or 2 seconds depend on how long you will delayed the exposure).

Regards,
Arto.
sorry, i have been thinking of space shuttle. :bsmilie: Does using a hat really works? I mean there is ambient light, won't it affect your photo as some light might "leak" into the sensor? I dunno lah, just wondering :dunno:

sorry, i have been thinking of space shuttle. :bsmilie: Does using a hat really works? I mean there is ambient light, won't it affect your photo as some light might "leak" into the sensor? I dunno lah, just wondering :dunno:
Yah..., mostly hat trick is only work for firework shoot. For macro shoot, or sometimes landscape shoot, it is better to find camera with MLU and delayed shutter release.

If your camera only have 2s delayed shutter release, it can help to prevent/reduce shake because pressing shutter release, but not help shaking from mirror flap.

I agree to improving good technique holding camera and press shutter release. Usually I use flash to freeze the motion, and it help.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.