mio TV freezes up (not over)

Tango Wasp

Jul 31, 2007
Hi,

Any clubsnappers have this irritating freezes of mio TV?

I am almost up to my neck with the numerous visits by "Singtel" technicans who will give my line the "pass" grade and have changed the modem, setup box and even rerouting of telephone exchange. And speaking at lengths with the "customer service" makes me realise that there is something not quite correct with the whole "eco-system" of mio TV business model.

Still, I can't sit down to enjoy watching my football - the only reason why I have mio TV.

What's your experience? Have you managed to get your problems solved?

hi TS,

I have the same problem like you, I have about 5-6 visits by technicians... i still have 6-7 months before contract expires...

i thought of complaining to their CEO, but it was then i realise there is no contact info for their management on their website...

:thumbsd:

How did I solve my problem? Plug out the mio set top box from the mio ****box and enjoy starhub cable tv

Their technicians look more like clowns who have no idea what they are doing. Must complain so much till they send a senior technician who actually knows what they are doing. By the way Singtel does not have their own technicians, they outsource them, so no QC one. I can also do a better job than their customer service personnel who read a random line from their prepared script as response to any problem.

Their responses are just a permutation of ways you can reset your router, which clears off errors temporarily so your line seems to be working. Switching it on and off, plugging out the phone line and plugging it in again, changing router, etc etc.

Last edited:
Just write to iDA. Complaining to the chief of bunch of jokers, what do you get? :sweat:

They offered to send a Senior Technician yesterday. I am so tired with their endless visits that I am not sure if I want to go through with another visit.

Yes, I am giving them instructions what to check and change. Educating them on what is temporary countermeasure and what is permanent solutions.

Did this Snr Tech solve your problems?

How did I solve my problem? Plug out the mio set top box from the mio ****box and enjoy starhub cable tv

Their technicians look more like clowns who have no idea what they are doing. Must complain so much till they send a senior technician who actually knows what they are doing. By the way Singtel does not have their own technicians, they outsource them, so no QC one. I can also do a better job than their customer service personnel who read a random line from their prepared script as response to any problem.

Their responses are just a permutation of ways you can reset your router, which clears off errors temporarily so your line seems to be working. Switching it on and off, plugging out the phone line and plugging it in again, changing router, etc etc.

So far only entry level staff answering my emails despite my attempts to get a Snr Mgr to reply.

I hope I bought the one instead of 2 years plan.

hi TS,

I have the same problem like you, I have about 5-6 visits by technicians... i still have 6-7 months before contract expires...

i thought of complaining to their CEO, but it was then i realise there is no contact info for their management on their website...

:thumbsd:

I am waiting for my contract to be over in 1 months and then i will be free man.
Just used Mio for 2~3 times and it was freezing and making my internet connection unstable. i am paying freaking 30~40$ a month for not watching it at all.
I also don't see a point sending emails to IDA, i am sure they are aware about this Singtel freezing thing but they will also do nothing. so i decided not to waste my energy and time and let the contract finish and think money wasted in bad investment.

They offered to send a Senior Technician yesterday. I am so tired with their endless visits that I am not sure if I want to go through with another visit.

Yes, I am giving them instructions what to check and change. Educating them on what is temporary countermeasure and what is permanent solutions.

Did this Snr Tech solve your problems?

Yes, he did, but the router or the mio connection is so bad that nothing he did could solve the problem entirely. He was the only technician who concluded that our phone line was spoilt and that was causing a lot of signal loss. The other joke technicians kept saying either there was nothing wrong, or router problem (suggest replacing with another mio crapbox when the modded crapbox is the root cause of our problems), one even went to change the wiring from outside somewhere, didn't solve the problem.

He told us that what all the other technicians did was merely to temporarily solve the problem by clearing errors by restarting the router. That clears up the signal for a while, then problems will come again. He also said that if we got any errors in the future, just restart router since there's no way to solve the lousy connection/router problem until Singtel decides that they are not good modders of routers and allow people to use 3rd party routers like they did with Singnet Broadband. 2wire is a very good brand that makes very good routers, but Singtel ****ed up somewhere and tweaked their router to lose signals all over the place.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply. I guess the diagnosis will probably be the same for me. Hence, I just don't bother. Otherwise, another day of repeating the story and waiting at home for them to come and then conclude the same.

Switching on and off seems (very sadly) the solution. Imagine the money we pay for this kind of unstable connection in this time and age.

2Wire router is good? I wonder if the versions that we are getting are the lowest cost or the best sourced ones?

Yes, he did, but the router or the mio connection is so bad that nothing he did could solve the problem entirely. He was the only technician who concluded that our phone line was spoilt and that was causing a lot of signal loss. The other joke technicians kept saying either there was nothing wrong, or router problem (suggest replacing with another mio crapbox when the modded crapbox is the root cause of our problems), one even went to change the wiring from outside somewhere, didn't solve the problem.

He told us that what all the other technicians did was merely to temporarily solve the problem by clearing errors by restarting the router. That clears up the signal for a while, then problems will come again. He also said that if we got any errors in the future, just restart router since there's no way to solve the lousy connection/router problem until Singtel decides that they are not good modders of routers and allow people to use 3rd party routers like they did with Singnet Broadband. 2wire is a very good brand that makes very good routers, but Singtel ****ed up somewhere and tweaked their router to lose signals all over the place.

But seriously, I would think that it is a failure to deliver a promised service.

My feeling from all these energy sapping troubleshoot and phone calls is that they are hoping that we move onto the fibre optics Opennet and then forget about this freezing.

Could we be in fact jumping from the boiling pot to the fire?

I am waiting for my contract to be over in 1 months and then i will be free man.
Just used Mio for 2~3 times and it was freezing and making my internet connection unstable. i am paying freaking 30~40$ a month for not watching it at all.
I also don't see a point sending emails to IDA, i am sure they are aware about this Singtel freezing thing but they will also do nothing. so i decided not to waste my energy and time and let the contract finish and think money wasted in bad investment.

Oh, now I understand that I am not the only one where my internet connection has also been unstable.

I suffered from the frozen TV during the first few weeks of the BPL season. After 2 visits by technicians, they sent engineers(or senior tech) led by an Ang Moh no less. The situation is much better, but I still have bad days once in a while.

I watched this year's World Cup on Miotv, but suffered no problems, why I don't understand :dunno:

I suffered during the World Cup with the 6 seconds delay. My neighbours shouting "GOAL" and I was still watching the yellow card being handed out.

I suffered from the frozen TV during the first few weeks of the BPL season. After 2 visits by technicians, they sent engineers(or senior tech) led by an Ang Moh no less. The situation is much better, but I still have bad days once in a while.

I watched this year's World Cup on Miotv, but suffered no problems, why I don't understand :dunno:

I suffered during the World Cup with the 6 seconds delay. My neighbours shouting "GOAL" and I was still watching the yellow card being handed out.

I believe that is because Starhub's reception/connection is faster than Miotv. That was reported in the news I think. Yeah, that lag was super irritating, because I'd know when an attack was going to fail as there were no screams :thumbsd:

i was lucky..... my mio works fine.....

hi

I have stopped my payment since 2 months ago, I told them that i will not pay unless they solved it!

My entire MIO was down from last 2 weeks (no internet, no phone, i don't bother about TV as i never used it). I only realize when my wife told me that she cannot call home number.
Called MIO hotline, told them about my problem they ask me to do trouble shooting (wasting my time) and later schedule an engineer to come down.
Engineer came down unplug everything, open all sockets to find out where is the problem but no avail. Then he went out and found the cables were cut off from DP (coz another stupid service person a few days ago did something for my neighbors), my wife is very furious over this matter (i will let her scold them :D).

hi

I have stopped my payment since 2 months ago, I told them that i will not pay unless they solved it!

Sounds like the best way to get them to act ...

some of these technicians sent by them are hopeless... just waste of time.. eventually they say they will send THEIR own engineer (I scold them alot for this, imagine they just send some outsourced engineer despite my line having some many problems), so i thought to give it one last try, but before i got home , this snr technician came in , did a test, call me to say everything is fine, i even got a scolding from him!

but after a few days, a major problem arise, and i call them immediately. There is one guy who did a line test and found something unusual, he asked me to switch off the modem and he did a test again, and confirmed that the line is giving problem. so he said he will solved it, and he promised that this guy won't come to my house and do those speed meter test (u go to singtel website and do some speed test , u will see the speed meter and know what i mean).

so i thought finally it is going to be over, and i will renew the contract after 8 months.. that linesman came, took out laptop, go to singtel site and do another speed test! wtf! then i discovered that he got no idea about the line failure, there is no communication between them at all!

hopeless ! :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd: