Mint Or No Mint???

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi,I am a newbie in CS & i am involved in the B&S forum quite a bit.I would like to clarify with all those "seasoned" CSers with regards under the condition part...eg.someone post saying the certain camera body has xxxx SC or the lens has been used like only blah blah blah times...then in this situation,is the condition still considered mint?But i see under CS's condition & guidelines stating that mint condition means no signs of use since it left the shop etc...So since the body or lens has been used,is it mint or a 10 condition?I am confused about it...Can the experts pls kindly shed some light onto this particular "issue"?Kam Sia!:think:

Hi,I am a newbie in CS & i am involved in the B&S forum quite a bit.I would like to clarify with all those "seasoned" CSers with regards under the condition part...eg.someone post saying the certain camera body has xxxx SC or the lens has been used like only blah blah blah times...then in this situation,is the condition still considered mint?But i see under CS's condition & guidelines stating that mint condition means no signs of use since it left the shop etc...So since the body or lens has been used,is it mint or a 10 condition?I am confused about it...Can the experts pls kindly shed some light onto this particular "issue"?Kam Sia!:think:

I have lenses that I have used for months and have no signs of use. here's a difference between mint and mint-like condition.
but it is arguable that for those who rate 10/10, they are assuming that just because they see no scratches and wear and tear, the person buying will not find any, and it is considered mint. truth is, under strong LED light and serious inspection, it's possible to find super small scratches and hence the item is not considered 10/10 anymore. but again, not many people will do that as it can be ridiclous to be inspecting like that.

some people like to rate 9/10 for conservativeness just in case.

I have lenses that I have used for months and have no signs of use. here's a difference between mint and mint-like condition.
but it is arguable that for those who rate 10/10, they are assuming that just because they see no scratches and wear and tear, the person buying will not find any, and it is considered mint. truth is, under strong LED light and serious inspection, it's possible to find super small scratches and hence the item is not considered 10/10 anymore. but again, not many people will do that as it can be ridiclous to be inspecting like that.

yo,thanx bro for enlightening!

Most people overrate actually 9/10 they will try to pass off at 10/10.

Better to buy new from shops since people sell pre-owned so close to brand new prices, sometimes even higher. No, should be OFTEN higher than brand new shop prices nowadays.

JasonB said:
Most people overrate actually 9/10 they will try to pass off at 10/10.

Better to buy new from shops since people sell pre-owned so close to brand new prices, sometimes even higher. No, should be OFTEN higher than brand new shop prices nowadays.

The fact that BnS is thriving shows that on the whole the 2nd hand market prices are alright.

It is true that some sellers overrate the condition of their stuff. But buyer is free to walk away or ask for lower price if product is not as advertised.

Mint or not mint condition I'm sure it will inspect before buying.. If dont like the condition can still reject

i usually underrate my items because i am more fussy abt my items. but when i am buying items from others, i am lessy fussy. go figure. :D

The definition of mint varies apparently. Some people call their stuff in mint or near mint condition but with slight user marks. The item could be 2 years old for eg. Condition of item: 8. The description is kinda contradicting.

I am just adapting from what I have read from the bns threads. Its best to view the item physically.

In the past I read mint as taken out of the box to test and put back untouched.

10/10 to me is used but still in near flawless condition.

For clubsnap I believe there is it's own guideline of how to rate items so hopefully the sellers stick to that.

gundamseed84 said:
In the past I read mint as taken out of the box to test and put back untouched.

10/10 to me is used but still in near flawless condition.

For clubsnap I believe there is it's own guideline of how to rate items so hopefully the sellers stick to that.

That's my understanding too. I rate my stuff according to the CS guidelines.