Mint 7D to used 1Ds M2

AbsolutKev

Dec 8, 2009
Johor
hi guys,

in a dillema here.
i have a mint 7d, mint condition with 3 years warranty, extended warranty by Mister Harvey Norman that i got in november last year. i ve yet to use 8fps, video and all the features of my 7D except wireless flash. i ve realise that i should get a FF cam as i really care about IQ.

but here s the thing, FF is very expensive. out of my budget. so i am considering a used one. also, i take good care of my of my stufff, may it be camera or other things i have. i ll ensure that nothing happens to it, not even a scratch. so getting a used 1Ds M2 is a risk i have to take. is it worth it?

will the FF 16MP be much better than the APS-C 18MP? so much so that i should take the risk?

how much must i expect to top up if i do the trade?
i don wanna act on impulse so i ll get the help of fellow CSers. thanks.

Have you considered the 5D Classic ? Also, what kind of lenses are you using ? Would you need to upgrade your lenses along with the upgrade to FF ?

A used good condition 1dsmk2 is almost equal to 5dmk2

Which FF cam that are you referring to is expensive? :dunno:

Have you considered the 5D Classic ? Also, what kind of lenses are you using ? Would you need to upgrade your lenses along with the upgrade to FF ?

yup i considered the 5D classic. but the 16MP of the 1ds M2 is alluring. plus i like the shape of the 1Ds body. currently I have 3 EF lens and 1 EF-S lens. i dont use the EF-S that much as my wife uses it on her 500D. the 3 EF lens is covering me on UWA, prime 50mm and tele zoom so i guess i wont upgrade my lenses till i have more money.

A used good condition 1dsmk2 is almost equal to 5dmk2

Which FF cam that are you referring to is expensive? :dunno:

all the brand new FF cams like the 5D Mk2 and 1Ds Mk3. out of my league.... :)

you can sell your 7D at minimal loss, top up another 1k+ for a used 5D2 body. I personally think a 5D2 is a better buy than the 1Ds2 if IQ is your main concern. :)

i'll close my eyes and take the 1DsMk2 over a 7D OR 5D MkII ANY DAY. Who needs video or 21mp...poo...when you hold the 1D in your hands and feel the shutter click, you'll know you want it...assuming you can carry the weight of a 1DsMkII + 24-70 2.8 and 580 EX in the first place...lol

i'll close my eyes and take the 1DsMk2 over a 7D OR 5D MkII ANY DAY. Who needs video or 21mp...poo...when you hold the 1D in your hands and feel the shutter click, you'll know you want it...assuming you can carry the weight of a 1DsMkII + 24-70 2.8 and 580 EX in the first place...lol

LV is important and good to have for many

you can sell your 7D at minimal loss, top up another 1k+ for a used 5D2 body. I personally think a 5D2 is a better buy than the 1Ds2 if IQ is your main concern. :)

5D MK2 is indeed a great cam. was tempted alot by it. but i was lookin at the 1Ds2 cos of the ergo, so i can use vertical n horiz shutter.

TS, you are quite misleading

From your first post, your concern is IQ and price

You can't have all in one package dude

Last edited:

i dont mind the weight at all.... and i WANT!!!! its like the angel on my left shoulder is telling me " Kevin, dont spend anymore money on camera. u have a new 7D that u promised u wont upgrade for 3 years. abstain kevin. abstain..."

and the devil on my right shoulder sayin " Kevin! u know u want it! Get it!"

ArrrggHHHH!!!!!

Just go with the 1ds mkII ............... I sold my 5D MKII to get it. No regrets.;)

TS, you are quite misleading

From your first post, your concern is IQ and price

You can't have all in one package dude

sorry man,

i was into the ergo also, failed to point out. true, cant have all in one package.

ok guys i go ZZZZzzzz first. hope to hear from u guys when i wake tmr. thanks for the feedback so far. looks like u r all more towards upgrading.i will find out more from u guys b4 deciding.

nite bros!

just curious, how do you define "Better IQ"? Better high ISO performance? Better DR? Is the 1Ds2 truly better than the 7D in terms of IQ?

Just go with the 1ds mkII ............... I sold my 5D MKII to get it. No regrets.;)

One will really understand why a large number of users prefer the 1DsII from the 5D2 only after using it...

Pts to consider;

-1DsII wins the 5D2 in low-light AF by a slight (but important) margin. This occured to me as a very important decisive factor as I use both tgt regularly in hotel dinner conditions.

-Superior AI Servo tracking AF... often ignored as a sports/birding function for most, but it is also very useful for anything moving; animals, children, models, wedding couples... list goes on.

-Save on grip. A 1DsII cost about $3000 2nd hand currently, while a 5D2 is still at least $3300. If you still need to buy a battery grip, thats another $300+ (i'm not to sure, but probably at least).

-Improved service at canon service centre. First time when I went to CSC with my 1DsII and 50L for calibration, the counter staff no longer spent time to "wayang" and test the camera themselves (they did it for my previous 5D1 and 28 f1.8). Instead, they asked their chief tech rep to speak to me.

discounting the 5D, there are pros and cons to both the 1Ds Mk2 and 5D Mk2. for pure practicality, the 5D Mk2 is way better than the 1Ds Mk2. Weight and the operations make more sense than the 1Ds, which often require holding 2 or more buttons to do something. One would also need a firewire to change the personal settings on the camera for example. The raw files, other than being alot cleaner, has abit more latitude than the 1Ds as well. The battery for the 1Ds should be pretty old by now and is rather heavy and hard to source.

Where the 5D Mk2 lacks, the 1Ds makes up in AF, FPS, durability, handling, customisation. 45 af points vs 9. if you need speed and durability, take the 1 series. you won't go wrong. but for leisure shooting, i am not sure anyone makes use of those features sufficiently to justify owning one.