Minolta 5xi Hot shoes ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Jan 18, 2002
North West
Visit site
HI Fellow Minoltean

I just discovered from the Service Centre my 5xi do have a hot shoes for flash (YS thot don't have at 1st). What kind of external flash that I can use to sync with Cam? Please advise...

Originally posted by Kevin
HI Fellow Minoltean

I just discovered from the Service Centre my 5xi do have a hot shoes for flash (YS thot don't have at 1st). What kind of external flash that I can use to sync with Cam? Please advise...

Minolta uses a proprietary hotshoe, so you'll have to either buy Minolta flashes (recommended) or get a 3rd party flash with the Minolta hotshoe.

Regards
CK

Thanks CK. That is fast! Better than Fedex!!!

The 3rd party Flash with Minolta hotshoes mean any 3rd party flash that is compatible to Minolta hotshoes format?

Thanks CK. That is fast! Better than Fedex!!!

The 3rd party Flash with Minolta hotshoes mean any 3rd party flash that is compatible to Minolta hotshoes format?

Actually, any of the 3rd party flashes meant for the Minolta Dynax series will have the appropriate hotshoe. :)

Regards
CK

Any brand that you can recommend? How much are they? cheapper than Minolta one? In future let say I get the Fuji S602 can use on it also?

Thanks... :)

Any brand that you can recommend? How much are they? cheapper than Minolta one? In future let say I get the Fuji S602 can use on it also?

Thanks... :)

You won't be able to, the 602 uses a standard hotshoe. The Minolta has a non-standard one. I am not very familiar with 3rd party flashes, so maybe someone else can help here. You can try stuff like the Vivitars, Achievers and Metzs.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

You won't be able to, the 602 uses a standard hotshoe. The Minolta has a non-standard one. I am not very familiar with 3rd party flashes, so maybe someone else can help here. You can try stuff like the Vivitars, Achievers and Metzs.

Regards
CK
Thanks again...

I have the Minolta Dynax 5xi, as well as the Minolta Flash that goes with it. Has given me many nice photos.

Did you know that there is a built-in wireless connection? In other words, you can trigger off your flash off-camera without any other equipment? The camera communicates directly with the flash. Amazing. considering how old the system is.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
I have the Minolta Dynax 5xi, as well as the Minolta Flash that goes with it. Has given me many nice photos.

Did you know that there is a built-in wireless connection? In other words, you can trigger off your flash off-camera without any other equipment? The camera communicates directly with the flash. Amazing. considering how old the system is.
YEs, the Minolta service centre told me that there is a remote control sort of connection for triggering nightshots. Are you refering to the same connection to trigger the flash also?

Originally posted by mpenza
Minolta has a non-standard hotshoe. Normal non-dedicated 3rd party flash won't fit.
:(
Then how, have to use the flash from Kamwai then. How much is the original Minolta external flash?

Minolta has a non-standard hotshoe. Normal non-dedicated 3rd party flash won't fit.

I just wonder why some manufacturers just can't stick to mainstream standards. Minolta has the non-standard hotshoe, and Sony digicams has a dumb hotshoe and proprietary connector. And Nikon Coolpixes have that proprietary TTL connector as well. All to make you spend more on their accessories. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

I just wonder why some manufacturers just can't stick to mainstream standards. Minolta has the non-standard hotshoe,...

yar loh and made me lose "business". I had several queries from Minolta users for an external lash I put up for sale but it won't fit the hotshoe :(

Metz's SCA-Adaptor allows the use of some of its flashguns on Minolta cameras (and also other cameras).

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/main_index_e.php3?link=4&sub=1&linkname=mecablitz

For Mezt flash, the 32 Z2 together with the SCA 3302 is probably the cheapest solution that will work for the Minolta 5xi though. I dunno the price but it's definitely more than $200. The 32 Z2 could also be used with the S602Z.
http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/4_mecablitz/m_mb_produkte/m_fs__32_Z-2.html

huh ?? you mean canon and nikon got standard hotshoe? canon flash can use on nikon camera??

:dunno:

Originally posted by ninelives
huh ?? you mean canon and nikon got standard hotshoe?

yup, if I'm not wrong. there're many people that uses 3rd party auto flash with Canon cameras.

Originally posted by ninelives
canon flash can use on nikon camera??

This part I'm not sure. If there's manual or auto mode, there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys. Keep it coming the more ideas the merrier, especially money saving one.

I am asking about the flash because I may want to use the Minolta 5xi for a wedding recep photo session. Not sure 5xi better or Oly C2040 is more practical. :confused:

I also hope to get a flash that can use on my 5xi then add a slave trigger to use on the C2040. Then I won't have too many flash lying around at home. KC, am I right to say that the Kamwai flash cannot work with 5xi since 5xi doesn't have connection for PCsync cord? ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.