Minolta 300mm F/4 APO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drudkh

Mar 2, 2004
lulu island
Got this lens from Japan and although it is 2nd hand, the condition is 10/10***. The glass is superb, no elephants or scratches (glass and body). :thumbsup: Bang for bucks!

Its pretty heavy, slightly heavier than my Tokina 100-300mm F/4 ATX. Focusing is very fast! I think this is the fastest among the rest I have and not noisy. One thing about this lens is that it is prone to purple fringing, and pretty bad at times. Other than this, I am very satisfied. The photos from this lens is very sharp! Its amazing!

Some samples to show what its capable of.

pict4196.jpg

pict4196crop.jpg

pict4206.jpg

pict4210.jpg

Woo Hoo...

Congrats bro on your new lens.....Purple fringing really depends on the source of light and the type of light.....and type of aperture where the light comes from (i'm not referring to the aperture of your lens here....).

I was looking for the 300f4...:confused: but did not get a chance to own one...

rgds,
sulhan

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
U added the word SUPER or is the word SUPER on the star already? Cos it look rather fake to me... ;p

pict4206.jpg
haha the word is already on the star. you don't believe just go to habour front to see. ;p

Hei DCA...

I oso got my 70-210f4 today....vomitingly sharp...hahah.....what a description.
I like it....(DON juz tompang your thread)....

Order quick!!!

rgds,
sulhan

no prob, bro. will be waiting for photos from your 70-210. :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
so fast? it just takes 1 week to send?

in total how much u paid?
who? me or Sulhan? :dunno:

sulhan said:
Purple fringing really depends on the source of light and the type of light.....and type of aperture where the light comes from (i'm not referring to the aperture of your lens here....).

I didn't know such a concept exist. :bsmilie: Mind explaining?

Drudkh said:
Got this lens from Japan and although it is 2nd hand, the condition is 10/10***. The glass is superb, no elephants or scratches (glass and body). :thumbsup: Bang for bucks!

Its pretty heavy, slightly heavier than my Tokina 100-300mm F/4 ATX. Focusing is very fast! I think this is the fastest among the rest I have and not noisy. One thing about this lens is that it is prone to purple fringing, and pretty bad at times. Other than this, I am very satisfied. The photos from this lens is very sharp! Its amazing!

You got it via mail order ? or You went to Japan to get it ? How much you pay for the minolta 300mmf4 ? May be can post a photo for the lens.

sulhan said:
Hei DCA...

Order quick!!!

rgds,
sulhan

May be you can post some photo shoot with this lens to share.
How the lens look like ?

ks2005 said:
May be you can post some photo shoot with this lens to share.
How the lens look like ?

Here how the lens looks like
47660568.jpg

Compare with 80-200 f2.8 APO G HS
47309932.jpg

Hart

ks2005 said:
You got it via mail order ? or You went to Japan to get it ? How much you pay for the minolta 300mmf4 ? May be can post a photo for the lens.
I got the lens through a friend for $1.2K.

click on it for larger one.

sulhan said:
Hei DCA...

Order quick!!!

rgds,
sulhan

Is it the old lens no longer in production? Wonder if the guy i sold mine to is in CS also...sulhan, don't get mad at me pls...

vader said:
Is it the old lens no longer in production? Wonder if the guy i sold mine to is in CS also...sulhan, don't get mad at me pls...
Hahah..Vader....

I imported the lens from overseas...:bsmilie:

rgds,
sulhan

Hey guys, I just found something very cool about this lens! Okay, when I first got the lens I was puzzled why the lens has no focus limit switch like the one found in 70-200 SSM or any other lens. The one on 70-200 has this focus limit switch for (a) full focus range, and; (b) limited focus of 3m to infinity. The minimum focus distance is 2.5m so I think probably no point to have a limit of 3m-infinity.

I was like damn! There's no manual and I can't find any info on this lens at all. Well, I was a little disappointed. However, I found a screw and it seems to be quite extra with this lens. Take a look at the picture below.

coolstuff.jpg

What is the screw button labelled (3) for? *scratch head*. When I loosen that screw, I can turn the ring (2). As I was turning it, the distance display (4) was turning as well. Then, I figured out that that is the focus limit ring! Well, no focus limit switch but has a focus limit ring.

So, what's so cool about this ring?

Well, first of all I turn the focus ring (1) and focus-limit ring 92) to infinity which is anti-clockwise direction, then I turn the focus ring (1) clockwise, lets say to the 15m mark on distance display (4) and I tighten the screw button (3). I got a 15m-infinity focus limit! Wow! Isn't this cool? I can set my limit! That really shortened the focusing range the lens has to turn and somehow make it faster in hunting for subject to focus.

Just something I want to share.
Cheer!

Drudkh said:
Hey guys, I just found something very cool about this lens! Okay, when I first got the lens I was puzzled why the lens has no focus limit switch like the one found in 70-200 SSM or any other lens. The one on 70-200 has this focus limit switch for (a) full focus range, and; (b) limited focus of 3m to infinity. The minimum focus distance is 2.5m so I think probably no point to have a limit of 3m-infinity.

I was like damn! There's no manual and I can't find any info on this lens at all. Well, I was a little disappointed. However, I found a screw and it seems to be quite extra with this lens. Take a look at the picture below.

coolstuff.jpg

What is the screw button labelled (3) for? *scratch head*. When I loosen that screw, I can turn the ring (2). As I was turning it, the distance display (4) was turning as well. Then, I figured out that that is the focus limit ring! Well, no focus limit switch but has a focus limit ring.

So, what's so cool about this ring?

Well, first of all I turn the focus ring (1) to infinity which is clockwise direction, then I turn the focus limit ring (2) anti-clockwise, lets say to the 15m mark on distance display (4) and I tighten the screw button (3). I got a 15m-infinity focus limit! Wow! Isn't this cool? I can set my limit! That really shortened the focusing range the lens has to turn and somehow make it faster in hunting for subject to focus.

Just something I want to share.
Cheer!

Haha...Bro...

Great stuff....now you realised how useful the "analog focus limiter is" - no specific range....Depends great ly on your position and target.

Well, you can try out the slot in circular polariser - i will bring in the next outing...

rgds,
Sulhan

Just did a quick and simple comparison with my Tokina 100-300 F/4 & Minolta 300 F/4.
both shots are at F/4.

Tokina
tokina_full.jpg

Minolta
minolta_full.jpg

Tokina 100% crop
tokina_crop.jpg

Minolta 100% crop
minolta_crop.jpg

UY79 said:
I didn't know such a concept exist. :bsmilie: Mind explaining?
Hi UY...

In some cases, the light might be reflected light and hence the surface where bounce off also result in already a certain amount of aberration. Then this already not perfect edge/surface reflections light gets worsened as the light goes into the lens.

Some lens will have fringing if say taking photos of flourescent light refected on objects in a scene. But in some cases using flash the fringing on the same object is reduced or less obvious.

Is based on my own past experiences....

rgds,
sulhan

Status
Not open for further replies.