Minimum system requirement for photoediting and scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by kongg
Hi guys wats the minimum system req for the above??ie speedy scanning time, photoshot sessions.

there isn't any? apart from say, 512Mb RAM to prevent disk thrashing? I have a p3-500 overclocked to 600 and its fine for my needs.

In addition, you need an NT based system (WinXP, WinNT, Win2000) to be able to utilise the 512MB ram. I've heard that Win98 will ignore any ram above 256MB

Originally posted by erwinx

there isn't any? apart from say, 512Mb RAM to prevent disk thrashing? I have a p3-500 overclocked to 600 and its fine for my needs.

The more ram the better. If you are really serious into photoshop editing stuffs, 1G ram is preferred. Rams are cheap nowadays :D

Originally posted by Daniel
In addition, you need an NT based system (WinXP, WinNT, Win2000) to be able to utilise the 512MB ram. I've heard that Win98 will ignore any ram above 256MB

incorrect. win 98/se/me will utilise up to 512Mb. With a registry tweak, they can access above 512Mb as well. see www.pcmag.com... up to a max of 1Gb (according to microsoft)

Originally posted by erwinx

incorrect. win 98/se/me will utilise up to 512Mb. With a registry tweak, they can access above 512Mb as well. see www.pcmag.com... up to a max of 1Gb (according to microsoft)

Ok thanks for the correction, now lemme go and kill the person who gave me this wrong info

Originally posted by Daniel

Ok thanks for the correction, now lemme go and kill the person who gave me this wrong info

But on Win9X, having more than 512MB ram also got no use right?
Because Win9x mem management is darn shitty.....

Win NT kernel's the way to go!

If you are serious about photo editing, why bother with PCs? Get a G4 Mac! All the design houses, etc don't choose the Mac for no reason. Also, Macs have colour management built-in, and typically displays your images much better. Don't believe me? Bring your images to a Mac shop and ask them to display them. It beats any PC display (even high end LCD ones) flat.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
If you are serious about photo editing, why bother with PCs? Get a G4 Mac! All the design houses, etc don't choose the Mac for no reason. Also, Macs have colour management built-in, and typically displays your images much better. Don't believe me? Bring your images to a Mac shop and ask them to display them. It beats any PC display (even high end LCD ones) flat.

Regards
CK

Just to ask, must they be necessarily be those G4 tower versions?
What about the iMac?
I saw one in my school, and my god, it was babelicious..... ;p

Speaking of Macs, I heard that they are the ones who can output native 48bit colour right?
PCs can't do that right?
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Originally posted by SNAG

Just to ask, must they be necessarily be those G4 tower versions?
What about the iMac?
I saw one in my school, and my god, it was babelicious..... ;p

Speaking of Macs, I heard that they are the ones who can output native 48bit colour right?
PCs can't do that right?
Correct me if I'm wrong...

I am not a Mac user (yet) though I can't say I am not tempted. heh. The G4 towers are more upgradable, like your PCs. I suppose a beefed up 17" iMac should do the job nicely as well. As you've seen, the display is wow....

Regards
CK

I am not a Mac user (yet) though I can't say I am not tempted. heh. The G4 towers are more upgradable, like your PCs. I suppose a beefed up 17" iMac should do the job nicely as well. As you've seen, the display is wow....

Regards
CK

if you have the bucks, go for G4 towers + cinema display LCD. if you've seen it before, you will conclude that it's way better than any PC LCDs. i heard people commenting "it's like staring at a magazine; not a monitor".. and it's true :)

Originally posted by behyx

if you have the bucks, go for G4 towers + cinema display LCD. if you've seen it before, you will conclude that it's way better than any PC LCDs. i heard people commenting "it's like staring at a magazine; not a monitor".. and it's true :)

I can't agree more.
Just to ask, there are those 3rd party adapters where they allow you to connect a cinema display to a PC...
Wondering if those could do the trick well or not..

But the Mac can display so well not because of its hardware, but also it's software as well right?

Apple's a PC killer man.... :p

I can't agree more.
Just to ask, there are those 3rd party adapters where they allow you to connect a cinema display to a PC...
Wondering if those could do the trick well or not..

But the Mac can display so well not because of its hardware, but also it's software as well right?

Apple's a PC killer man.... :p

there is adapters to do so, and i think each cost $200+. i've known of some people who did this, but seriously, the appearance still far from perfection if it's not coupled with a mac side by side on the table. ;)

I guess if it's just photoediting, just boost up your RAM. It's easier and cheaper to get 'raw' power on a PC than on a Mac, like upgrading to dual processor configurations and so forth.

Though on a Mac, Apple's Colorsync ensures efficient colour work flow from input to output of your material, essential if you do graphic design and print publication.

My 2 cents.

Originally posted by behyx

I saw a 22" CinemaDisplay at Apple Centre. Blew me away. It's simply awesome, even the best PC LCD displays like the Eizos are not that good. :)

Regards
CK

Err.. I think he want to know.. the sys as in the CPU speed blah blah blah..... not the display monitor......

800MHz with 512MBram!!!!
hehhehheheee

Originally posted by Bluestrike
Err.. I think he want to know.. the sys as in the CPU speed blah blah blah..... not the display monitor......

800MHz with 512MBram!!!!
hehhehheheee

For any imaging system, the monitor is the most important. With less RAM and CPU, at most operations are slower. But without a good monitor, colours are not accurate. And colour accuracy is important! :)

800MHz? I am using 900MHz Duron and 512MB RAM. I am sure there are people using 2.4GHz out here as well.... ;)

Regards
CK

For any imaging system, the monitor is the most important. With less RAM and CPU, at most operations are slower. But without a good monitor, colours are not accurate. And colour accuracy is important! :)

800MHz? I am using 900MHz Duron and 512MB RAM. I am sure there are people using 2.4GHz out here as well.... ;)

Regards
CK

Hey...
I'm still using a Pentium II 400 > 450, 256MB ram on XP... :p
Talking about slow PCs.. heheh.

If you want colour accuracy, get a Colourcal Spyder loh...
The whole of Clubsnap can share one... And we can all tweak our monitors + printers and pass them around..... :p

Hey...
I'm still using a Pentium II 400 > 450, 256MB ram on XP... :p
Talking about slow PCs.. heheh.

If you want colour accuracy, get a Colourcal Spyder loh...
The whole of Clubsnap can share one... And we can all tweak our monitors + printers and pass them around..... :p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I'm on a Duron 1.2ghz with 256mb RAM.. but in my setup, the item contributing most to the quality of how nicely my photos are displayed is my old trusty Matrox G400.. :)

Of course u should have a decent monitor also lah.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.