minimum focal length to shoot bird?

TS's post is very vague and didn't state what type of birding so everybody poured in different suggestions for different type of bird photography and till now no response from TS just shows his nonchalant attitude.

Those posts from Scoobydive are indeed very misleading and he should state the conditions on how those birds was shot and thanks to EisMann for digging out. It is very misleading for inexperience birders and they may thought "oh,I have the 24-70mm lens I can go out and shoot birds". Scoobydiver makes not big difference from a zookeeper who gets access to handle tame birds. It was no wonder most of his shots are only showing head because those birds are not on natural perch and probably some with rings on them.

Er..........

For the record, I don't mean to dig.
Just that when I looked at the first 2 shots.......

1) The eagle or the Brahminy Kite. The background blue sky looked as though as a screen. For those who have watched Lone Ranger the movie, remember the starting scene the boy who walked to view the Indian statue?
2) That second pelican head shot. The eye, to me, looked so listless as though as lifeless.

That prompted me to ask...........

If Scoobydrive has the ability to tame the birds, so be it. That is his skill.

For the rest of us, non-BirdMen, I guess we will stick to, averagely, 600mm (with or without the converter) to photograph the birds. Maybe except the pigeons?

Peace
EisMann

Actually if you have been on a safari you will know you can get quote close to some really big animals. Versatility might be important. A 200-400 May be a better bet for wildlife in Africa.

Actually if you have been on a safari you will know you can get quote close to some really big animals. Versatility might be important. A 200-400 May be a better bet for wildlife in Africa.

DD123,

Actually I have being to one in Jun'14 with my family (after Fraser Hill)

That was a zoo, 65% completed, in Pahang, Bukit Gambang.
That was one fearless hyena with an attitude walked right up to the bus. I actually backed off from the grilled window.
A 50mm lens could see yellow stains in its fangs.

Never know an adult hyena is much bigger than a German Shepherd!

EisMann

TS's post is very vague and didn't state what type of birding so everybody poured in different suggestions for different type of bird photography and till now no response from TS just shows his nonchalant attitude.

Those posts from Scoobydive are indeed very misleading and he should state the conditions on how those birds was shot and thanks to EisMann for digging out. It is very misleading for inexperience birders and they may thought "oh,I have the 24-70mm lens I can go out and shoot birds". Scoobydiver makes not big difference from a zookeeper who gets access to handle tame birds. It was no wonder most of his shots are only showing head because those birds are not on natural perch and probably some with rings on them.

you can access it in indonesia. hahahaha
every one can access, come visit when you have time, i will be your tour guide to take a photo of those birds! but prepare your self to lose one of your lens or camera because of bird anger when you take close combat with them.

should I tell how to take the photo? :D picture spoken dude :p
just see how my friend candid me while I took it, you might know how hard to get close with them.

its all about how your concepting the picture in your mind. :D

you can access it in indonesia. hahahaha every one can access, come visit when you have time, i will be your tour guide to take a photo of those birds! but prepare your self to lose one of your lens or camera because of bird anger when you take close combat with them. should I tell how to take the photo? :D picture spoken dude :p just see how my friend candid me while I took it, you might know how hard to get close with them. its all about how your concepting the picture in your mind. :D

Thanks but iam not really keen to go Indonesia just for this bird unless it is the Phillipines Eagle.

DD123,

Actually I have being to one in Jun'14 with my family (after Fraser Hill)

That was a zoo, 65% completed, in Pahang, Bukit Gambang.
That was one fearless hyena with an attitude walked right up to the bus. I actually backed off from the grilled window.
A 50mm lens could see yellow stains in its fangs.

Never know an adult hyena is much bigger than a German Shepherd!

EisMann

Which is why many bring more than one cam body .