Minimum Dress code for Wedding photographers/videographers

redmonsoon

Aug 6, 2004
Sg
I'm not going to make many new friends posting this but it infuriates me everytime I attend or witness a wedding where the photographer or videographer underdress..

It is someones' 'BIG' day for a reason so pls dress appropriately for the day!
Why is it we are sometimes/often the WORST dressed in a banquet hall?

And its not even about the fact that you're being paid and hired.
Rather, its because you're so visible being physically so close to the couple whole day.
Yes, if you can stand one corner and shoot with a 200mm far far away and guest do not see you then its ok..

Do not place yourself next to the couple who has spent so much effort and $$ dressing up..YES you spoil the picture for the guest..

And even if you're shooting under the sun is not an excuse, it comes with the job, bring a change of clothing if you have to for day & evening..

I know its subjective but something decent may be
Min- polo tee & jeans not torn
Proper- shirt & pants/jeans not torn
V Gd- tie & pants

Every couple hiring anyone should really ask what are they wearing, to their list of questions..:sweat: paisay, thks for reading my rantings..

btw, I'm not Samantha hor, I oso wear tee, sandals & berms to Orchard Rd all the time, just not to a wedding..:)

Last edited:
You have every reason to write this.

I don't do many weddings as I prefer to be on Bermuda, t-shirt and sandals... But during wedding, shirt and pants are a normal attire, don't wear tie as it hinder with the shoot.

At the end of the day, photographer choose how they are going to carry their "brand" when they are with the clients.

Regards,

Hart

The rant is valid.

We all know Singaporeans like to dress one level below dress code. We know how hot and humid this island is.

But how you dress reflects how much you respect your clients and how serious you treat yourself/your business.

I am a big sweater, really big one, but still need to wear appropriately.

Day time at least polo shirt with long pants or jeans.

Night time at least have buttoned shirt, even if the location not atas, unless at the beach.

Or at the minimum, if want to wear comfortably, then go Photographer Black, which IMHO more easily acceptable.

Thks guys, you see..its not even abt branding, but plss as a guide,

Dont dress worst than the guest!
I think thats fair enough rite? Lol :)

The last wedding I attended I do not see many guest in tee/polo, berms or even jeans..lol

i went to a wedding photography talk sometime back by one of the seasoned wedding photographer here (sorry can't rem his name suddenly), he advise us to dress appropriately (at least a polo with pants or polo with jeans min) as it will be unsightly for guest or friends to shoot you inside wearing inappropriate dressing.

Yes, dress appropriately for wedding, that is very important.
respect the wedding couple and people will show respect to you too.

if you do a search, there are many threads discuss about the proper dress code, search keywords: [wedding], [attire], [wear]

I feel that its good that TS brought up this topic because i think that a lot of people don't meet right dress code for their own friends' wedding. And the funny thing comes when those who are in the right dress code being questioned by others if they are overdressed or if its necessary.

After attending a friend's wedding in Singapore (my 1st, I'm not Singaporean) and seeing how his photographers dressed I was pretty appalled! Having said that, guests came in shorts and tshirt, jeans etc too.......where I'm from all the guys would wear full suit and ties and the girls a posh dress.

After attending a friend's wedding in Singapore (my 1st, I'm not Singaporean) and seeing how his photographers dressed I was pretty appalled! Having said that, guests came in shorts and tshirt, jeans etc too.......where I'm from all the guys would wear full suit and ties and the girls a posh dress.

Welcome to Singapore, the land of the people with the most amazing dressing etiquette.
If you can't beat us, join us, or be worse dressed than us and beat us!!

zurisnap said:

I've to say tht most guest in Spore will not be in shorts & tee, what u saw is very rare.
Most will still be in shirts & jeans I guess..

What was the photographer wearing?..lol

Maybe they should have "worst dress" and "best dress" competition on the wedding day.

Regards,

Hart

Maybe they should have "worst dress" and "best dress" competition on the wedding day.Regards,
Hart

Worst dressed cannot lah..they're your Guest aft all..

But Best dressed will be cool, prize is they get back their ang bao $$ w bonus..lol

I mean it's for the photographer and surely for those wear really badly will win and best of all, they can also brag about it in their website as "award winning photographer" (read worst dress)... Sorry I rather English today...

Just came back from Taipei 9 days DIY. Purchased a lot of nice & high-quality shirts/polo and Jeans for cheap. My wife got 39 bags, nearly did not make it back wrt luggage limit
(need to employ some tricks, luckily in the end we were first at the airport and they did not switch on the weighing machine for the first 4 of our 20kg limit luggages, so conveniently threw most of our hand-carry which were like 10kg ea LOL!)

Just saw one of my wife's NTD1300 OEM bag on sale at OG (branded here as Carlo Rino), S$269. NTD1300 is S$57. There is another OEM at NTD2500, here it is S$409.
You get about the same in SK Seoul (quite a bit of the stuff is hailing from SK), but issue is you need to know where to go as its not as "concentrated" as in Taiwan, ignoring the language barrier.

Super fun, fattened myself by 4kg. Crazy cheap and crazy tasty.

Next time we will whack Taizhong/Kaoshiung. Actually been there but its on a guided tour aka "as good as nothing".

Sorry for the OT, we've just done shopping for the next 2 years, probably more for my wife. :D
Not sure how much we'd be spending if we are doing the same quality purchases + quantity if we were in SG. Will not be able to justify for photography work..... a new $9 polo-T (Taiwan) is better than a somewhat old looking coz washed for 30 times G2000 $50 shirt. BTW the $9 wholesale Polo-T is of pretty good quality, same as Giordano stuff and not the lousy Hang Ten.

Think as long as what you are wearing is pretty new, ie even if its Polo T + jeans, shdn't be an issue. I tried doing coats, most of the ballrooms are pretty warm esp since we are working thus body temperature is higher. I don't mind being in coats if the temp is < 20. Actually was running around in Polo T even @ 18 deg C in Taipei. LOL!

Last edited:
Are we talking about actual day morning or dinner.

Dinner: Shorts and T-shirts are No No.

Morning: Actually, have to see. I personally think that if the photographer/videographer feels that he'll be very restricted and sweating like hell in a shirt, then i rather he don't.
This is a craft which is close to an art to many good photographers. How to work well in an environment where your shirt/jeans is restricting you and you feel warm all the time?

If an renown AngMo photographer from U.S is shooting ya morning actual day and he finds it hot, so he decides to wear berms, 99% of people will think he's good and he's cool.

Doesn't apply to singaporeans. Such a double standard. But i have to agree that some photographers in shorts don't look cool and instead look messy.

IMO, even in the day, polo tee is bare minimum, other than shows respects to the people who hire you, photographer and videographer will be in each other photos or video from time to time, probably will show up in other people camera as well, what you are wearing should be blend into the crowd. photographer and videographer should be wearing the same as the wedding entourage.

anyway, you don't want to be seen as in t-shirt and shorts running around shooting for the couple in the video highlight shown in 120 tables dinner held in the Shangri-La Island Ballroom right?

IMO, even in the day, polo tee is bare minimum, other than shows respects to the people who hire you, photographer and videographer will be in each other photos or video from time to time, probably will show up in other people camera as well, what you are wearing should be blend into the crowd. photographer and videographer should be wearing the same as the wedding entourage.

anyway, you don't want to be seen as in t-shirt and shorts running around shooting for the couple in the video highlight shown in 120 tables dinner held in the Shangri-La Island Ballroom right?

I have seen guests in t-shorts and jeans in the wedding reception at Raffles Hotel, where most of the guests were formally dressed. all the t-shirts and jeans appeared to be locals. Oh well.