Mini Sun Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

armadillo

Jan 30, 2006
Pinnacle@Duxton
Hi Any one install this gadget in your home?
http://www.minisunpower.com/index.html
Sound good around $149, but if really works, and it will save your electric bill every month $15 within 1 year, you get back your money already.
Also its stabilize the voltage and protects your appliances :cool:

Any comment? :rolleyes:

quite an old product. my mum had it in her tution center for about 5-6 years already. whether it helps anot, i did noticed a very very slight drop in the bill. though slight, it can be significantly seen that there's an overall drop.

Pulling the plug on bogus energy savers (Apr 2004)

One trader has already been warned, but others still stand by their products

By Joann Tan and Crystal Chan

A CONTROVERSIAL energy-saving black box that got a trader into trouble with consumer watchdog Case has several twins in the market.

At least five other companies are also selling gadgets they claim can reduce a family's power bill substantially, with one saying savings can be as much as 40 per cent.
Advertisement

These devices, costing $120 to $160, were found on the websites of iPoint Communications, Seraphine Ventures, Nisus Innovative Enterprise, Concept Power and Projectaces Energy Works.

When contacted, three stood firm by their products, despite a Straits Times report yesterday that electrical goods wholesaler Trends Home Electrical had received a warning under the new Fair Trading Act to stop its false claims.

However, iPoint Communications, Nisus Innovative Enterprise and Seraphine Ventures were also quick to stress that the use of their products is governed by several conditions.

They range from the size of the home, the number of electrical appliances used and plugging it at what they refer to as 'the most efficient location', to using the device for heavy-duty appliances, such as air-conditioners and washing machines, for maximum benefit.

'And if a customer sees no difference in his power bill, he can return the product and we will give him a refund,' said an official of Seraphine.

It sells Max Power Saver, that is said to give energy savings of 10 to 30 per cent.

All three companies claim their devices had been tested by PSB Corporation.

The other two companies could not be reached for comment.

They are Concept Power, selling Energy Saver ES3213 - said to give energy savings of 5 to 40 per cent - and Projectaces Energy Works, whose Home Energy Saver claims to save up to 35 per cent.

When buying these products, a PSB spokesman told The Straits Times yesterday that potential customers should ask for the test report from the retailer.

'The report would show the difference in power before and after using the product,' she said.

'Then, it's up to consumers to decide if the product is worth buying.'

She added that even if the product is PSB-tested, it should be certified by PSB - because being tested could also mean that the product had failed the test.

Trends, in its brochures, had implied that its J & G Power device was endorsed by PSB, with a line reading: 'Ingeniously designed for easy use, J & G Power is tested by PSB Singapore.'

It claimed the gadget, when plugged into an electrical outlet, can bring energy savings of up to 30 per cent. However, PSB tests found the savings to be 7 per cent at most.

Following complaints, Case told Trends to stop misleading consumers with false claims. If it persists, Case can wield the Fair Trading Act to get a court order requiring Trends to comply.

Yesterday, Case received another four complaints about the product, said its executive director Seah Seng Choon.

'Most complain that it did not perform as claimed,' he said.

Also claiming to give savings of up to 30 per cent is the Mini Sun Power Saver, available at both iPoint and Nisus.

However, Mr Alfred Loo, an iPoint partner, cautioned that the device chosen must suit the home's energy consumption level.

To help buyers pick the appropriate model from the 'many models of Mini Sun Power Saver', he said his company will contact every customer who buys at its website to advise them.

The 30 per cent savings, he said, are based on the guidelines given by the Malaysian-based manufacturer, the test report of PSB Corporation and customers' feedback.

Experts interviewed are sceptical about such claims.

One of them is Professor Choi San Shing, head of the power engineering division at Nanyang Technological University.

'The products that I've examined work by reducing the voltage or power used by the electrical appliances,' he said.

When power is reduced, the compressors in air-conditioners may need to work harder.

The result can be unpleasant. 'Not only will this spoil the air-conditioner faster, it may even lead to a higher bill,' said Prof Choi.

Also see:
http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/C@SEBites/issue30.htm#VCA
http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/C@SEBites/issue40.html

woah.... nice article. but like what it says, yeah, the drop was minute, hmm.... but abit scary about the aircon, though all are working okay for the past few years.

Ogenkidesu, thanks for your info :think:
I almost bought it yesterday :sweat:
The sales told me have 3 months money back warranty, if within 3 months my electric bill doesn't go down, I can return the device.
But sometimes sales can say anything they want :rolleyes:
minisun.jpg

woah.... nice article. but like what it says, yeah, the drop was minute, hmm.... but abit scary about the aircon, though all are working okay for the past few years.

You know what, the sales told me, infact the device stabilize the supply voltage so your aircond and other appliances will last even longer :think:

Stablize?

My suggestion, I'd rather spend $30 on a Belkin Multi-head Surge Adapter. I've got the black one that supports 8 plugs.

Alternatively get a UPS. These things are pretty cheap now I heard, u can get 'em for like.... $100+?

Yeah, after reading case complain, I think better not to buy first

for the lightning I think if u stay at HDB maybe less worry, but if u stay in landed property maybe more concern

lightning? you need lightning arrestor instead of surge device. :sweat:
It would still kena in one way or another, HDB or Landed.

Thus the safest way is to unplug ur appliances whenever lightning and thunder comes.
For necessary appliances (like ur fridge) that u can't turn off, just get a surge protector just in case u zap ur whole fridge.

Better to be safe than sorry.

hihi , any kind fellow noes where to get solar panel to power a mini fan ?

kind of thinking to diy a solar fan but cannot find the required items

It would still kena in one way or another, HDB or Landed.

Thus the safest way is to unplug ur appliances whenever lightning and thunder comes.
For necessary appliances (like ur fridge) that u can't turn off, just get a surge protector just in case u zap ur whole fridge.

Better to be safe than sorry.

wonder if we can complain to HDB if our electrical appliances kena toasted because of lightning strike. :think:

It's little more than a power factor correction device la..

The thing is..
This might be good for commercial use but basically will not save you much at home. You don't have to pay for power factor for residential properties. So that apparent power and actual power graphs don't matter much for us.

Unless you live in France where residential properties have to pay for imaginary power as well, my advice: Don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.