[Mini Review] Takeway T1 mini clampod

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
Saw and purchased this interesting contraption from one of our virtual shops here Photosphere.SG several months back. As I moved overseas, so did this item moved unopened inside my packed boxes. Only recently during unpacking, I took it out to actually try it. It is a mini clamp that is supposed to work in many situations while being extremely light and portable. I have been using a Manfrotto magic clamp with magic arm for now, and while that provides extremely solid support for heavier loads, it is just too heavy to lug around. With the downsizing of some of my equipment, I am actively looking out for a lighter and more portable support solution. And this is it.

Takeway T1 mini clampod

10734043_344644605714232_5218041766475552795_n_1024x1024.jpeg

Photo used with permission from site owner

Specifications:

Made in Taiwan
Size: 12.5(L)x9(W)x16.4(H) cm Extended
17.3(L)x3.1(W)x15(H) cm Folded
Weight: 200g (including ballhead)
Materials: Aeorospace-grade aluminium alloy, nylon.
Clamping range: 4-50mm diameter, flat surface 1-50mm.
Ballhead load capacity: 3 KG
Clamp load capacity: 40 KG

Last edited:
The T1 mini clampod is small and very light. It comes with a black plastic foot that can be removed or placed at 90deg angle for stowaway. So you can use it as a tabletop pod when needed or stow the foot away when packing it into a bag. Very ingenious design.

To keep the ball head small, there is no acra-swiss compatible quick release clamp. Instead, the clamp comes with its own round mini quick release. The round plate QR plate is made of aluminium, and so is the entire ballhead and QR clamp. The only plastic parts are the knobs on the ball head. I am very impressed with the build of the ball head. And as I will mention later, I will be every more shocked and impressed with how the ballhead performs.

16992805626_928cc0a01f_b.jpg

The T1 also comes with a mobile phone holder which you can mount onto the QR plate. Making it perfect as a mobile phone mini pod.

16992806126_2bdcc70821_b.jpg

The locking action is buttery smooth, and the hold is exceptionally strong. The clamp may look small and feels light, but it definitely packs a punch in clamp power. As I was turning the locking handle, I saw the clamp starting to bend the stainless steel tubing at my window... now that is strong...

16832580309_7d1e7185fd_b.jpg

Some of you might be wondering what that little green piece of plastic in the middle is for. When you are clamping small diameter tubes, this little plastic "tongue" comes into play. It works well, just that you have to be more careful when tightening. Remember to tighten first and make sure it is rock solid, before mounting your mobile phone or camera.

16831029948_f040024dd8_b.jpg

So, how much can this little clamp support in weight? The specs say 3KG. But I tried the setup I am likely to use with this clamp. And it is rock solid. No creep whatsoever. I am extremely satisfied.

T1 mini clampod holding up Fuji XT-1 + handgrip L plate + 10-24mm lens.
(note that the strap is not supporting any weight. It is just hung over the railing).
16831029858_005e4f8fd8_b.jpg

Question - your Fuji set-up should come in well under 2kg right?

Did you intend to mean that even though it is more than the general rule of thumb 1/3 of the advertised supportable weight, the set-up is still very sturdy?

Not shooting much scapes nowadays but it looks like it will serve quite a few other purposes such as filling in as a convenient mini tripod for my Nex 6. Checking out the manufacturer's site gave me some nice ideas of how to best utilise this product. :thumbsup: Very interesting product..

I have no rule for supportable weight, because in the support industry, everyone lists it differently. So I go by feel.

This is the weight of the setup:
Fuji X-T1 with battery and memory card = 440g
Fuji 10-24mm OIS lens with hood = 420g
Sunwayphoto L bracket = 115g

Last edited:
I have no rule for supportable weight, because in the support industry, everyone lists it differently. So I go by feel.

This is the weight of the setup:
Fuji X-T1 with battery and memory card = 440g
Fuji 10-24mm OIS lens with hood = 420g
Sunwayphoto L bracket = 115g

Thanks.. Nice. Maybe buy first talk later.