Ming Yi's monk status questioned over $1,000-a-table dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
SINGAPORE - The Buddhist community is abuzz with questions surrounding Venerable Ming Yi's status as a monk.

Buddhist Federation's secretary-general, Venerable Kwang Phing, said many voiced their unhappiness after a dinner was held by Foo Hai Chan Monastery in Geylang in honour of Venerable Ming Yi's 20 years of service. The Buddhist Federation is Singapore's top Buddhist organisation.

Venerable Kwang Phing told The Straits Times that many wanted to know: "'How can he do this?', 'Why is he still a monk?', 'Why isn't the federation doing anything?''

The dinner, organised by the monastery, was held at the Pan Pacific Hotel and reportedly cost $200,000.

The local newspaper reported that the dinner touched off an emotional debate among Buddhists even as devotees of the Foo Hai Chan Monastery called the celebration a 'sheng zuo dian li', or 'rise to power' ceremony; they said they wanted to celebrate Venerable Ming Yi's return to the temple.

Senior Buddhists in Singapore - Venerable Kwang Sheng, the federation's president, and Venerable Kwang Phing - were absent from the dinner although they had been invited.

Venerable Ming Yi - founder and former chief executive of Ren Ci Hospital - was convicted of fraud, falsifying documents, misappropriating funds and giving false information to the Commissioner of Charities last October.

He was jailed in May this year and was released in September.

The Buddhist Federation wants Ven Ming Yi to voluntarily step up to the plate and take responsibility for his actions.

If he does so, a temporary disciplinary committee of five or more monks will be set up to demote him.

If he chooses to stay at large, other monks may be advised to shun him.

Mr Lim Bock Guan, the head of the Singapore Buddhist Lodge told the local newspaper that a monk being honoured for his service with a $1,000-a-table dinner in a top hotel has never been heard off.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20101202-250437.html

should remove his Venerable title and demote him back to a small monk! disgrace to the buddhist monk community!

Last edited:
Wow, the price of vegetable really went up.:thumbsd:

$200,000 can be put to better use to feed those poor unfortunate families... with this amount, they can feed the whole neighbourhood of such families for months or even years!

$200,000 can be put to better use to feed those poor unfortunate families... with this amount, they can feed the whole neighbourhood of such families for months or even years!
Where is the like button!!

BOO :thumbsdown:

How can a veg banquet cost so much??

vegetarian food... cost probably 100 dollars per table... veg only.. can be so ex meh...
the other 900 bucks... he keep in his pocket for him and his gay partner. LOL

i study buddist back in sch though im not a firm practitioner, but sometimes its puzzles me when i see monks in IT stores buying expensive gadgets and siting in the back seat of a mercedes benz... and we have shaolin monks performing kongfu in TV shows...

maybe im old school... modern buddist has evolve :bsmilie:

Last edited:
how to achieve nirvana like that? still indulge in worldly pleasures.

i study buddist back in sch though im not a firm practitioner, but sometimes its puzzles me when i see monks in IT stores buying expensive gadgets and siting in the back seat of a mercedes benz... and we have shaolin monks performing kongfu in TV shows...

maybe im old school... modern buddist has evolve :bsmilie:

their reasoning is that they have to keep up with the technology in order to spread their teachings using these technologies... :sweat:

this is bollocks.

Money from donations going in to feed his disgraceful acts.
He could have rejected this but no................ he didnt...

Like what many said, 200k could have been used to aid the poor buddhist community.

PS: Veg restaurants really does cost a lot.

He is a disgrace!

He would have been sack if he were in the Olden Shaolin days!

their reasoning is that they have to keep up with the technology in order to spread their teachings using these technologies... :sweat:

hp, computers etc i can undertand, for todays communication... but u see them buying dslr, LCD TVs ?

oh.. not to mentioned... my recent business trip... with my own eyes, a monk traveling in business class.... dun play play... :bsmilie:

PS: Veg restaurants really does cost a lot.

i second this:sweat: price of those foodstuff are ridiculous.i suspect its largely because of the technology to get normal bean products to taste like meat. oh the irony:bsmilie:

anyways. why celebrate him 20 years? that one major error he made was his downfall already

Why he is still a monk????

Why celebrate when he needs another 1.5 year to reach 20 years in service? Even reach 20 years, a need to celebrate?

hp, computers etc i can undertand, for todays communication... but u see them buying dslr, LCD TVs ?

oh.. not to mentioned... my recent business trip... with my own eyes, a monk traveling in business class.... dun play play... :bsmilie:

In order to preach to the world he has to live like them:bsmilie:

I don't really quite believe in Singapore's way of Buddhism any more. Not Buddhism as a whole, but how they do such things in Singapore as a buddhist.

Why do they need to spend so extravagantly to welcome someone back who has been convicted before? :confused:

Even if they want to hold a welcome session, must it be at a posh hotel where they spend over $1,000 a table for so many people? Not forgetting many people in Singapore are still living in dire straits, how can these people under the name of Buddhism hold such an event in such a place?

I wonder where they got the money for this event from? Donations? Investments? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.