Mind sharing your studying method for Pure sciences and maths?

Telsoon

Aug 20, 2011
Singapore...............
I am stuck in memorizing those definition in science , mind sharing your method with me. =(
BTW i am not looking toward the O level this year, im just preparing for next year and have to self-study. =(

Honestly, I would think that you will have more difficulties in understanding if you self-study. If you have any questions, you
should take the chance to ask your teacher now. Memorizing isn't a very effective method for studying science, it's more of a practical
subject. The important is you need to have a least a bit of interest and understand the concept.

I am stuck in memorizing those definition in science , mind sharing your method with me. =(
BTW i am not looking toward the O level this year, im just preparing for next year and have to self-study. =(

It is much better to understand the first principles rather than memorizing. You have to understand why? That is the most important. What? and how? is not that important.

for physics, get to the roots. understand how things affect each other, what affects what. be able to visualise what will happen.
(if u ever get a kinematics qn, feel free to throw some pens in the air to try and visualise the motion. it works for me)

for chem, see the questions. unlike physics, there are many odd cases/special cases in chem that will not conform to the trends and so on. knowing all these odd cases and the general trend is important.

for math, do more and practice more. u cant just memorise for math, because its not just the knowledge, but the speed at which u do. if u repeatedly do over and over it will help.

1. Memorise the textbook from page 1 to last page. Don't have to memorise word by word though.

2. Do past year paper...or what we used to call ten year series. Just do every single question and somehow you will be able to predict what will come out. Helps you to spot your mistakes too.

Singapore education system is very rigid and easy to score. Just do the above and Chop+stamp get A.

For me it's reverse engineering. Write down the keywords, in point form, try squeezing 1 chapter to 1 or 2 pages the most, and use those to do revision. If u can elaborate those without opening text book, then most likely u can survive Liao.

Thanks for all your idea. Should i do my own notes for science?? and i compound it in to a file so that i dont need to refer back to the super thick guide book.

Thanks for all your idea. Should i do my own notes for science?? and i compound it in to a file so that i dont need to refer back to the super thick guide book.

If you can rewrite the book into memorizable small file, if it aids understanding, why not? Thou I came to realize that I'm too lazy to go thru those file. I end up just chiong books and books of 10 yr series.

*Schooling days for me are over...more than 7 yrs ago*

no choice, for science definition, in order to score full mark, you need to memorize word by word. By change a sentence or even a few words, yr 'definition' may not be able to captured all the condition inside.

The easier way is to memerise a definition a day.

As for Maths, there is not short cut, you need to keep practice and practice. Practice = take a pen and paper and do the problem, not just read the solution, reading the solution will likely end up a fail grade.

Yeah like everyone says, maths you really must keep practicing!! Yai Jous for your O levels! Great to see that you are working hard so early!!

If you can rewrite the book into memorizable small file, if it aids understanding, why not? Thou I came to realize that I'm too lazy to go thru those file. I end up just chiong books and books of 10 yr series.

*Schooling days for me are over...more than 7 yrs ago*
For my style, i think when i write all the chapter down in point form i can easily memories them. Haven't prepare to buy 10 years series yet because i want to know roughly for each chapter. =)
no choice, for science definition, in order to score full mark, you need to memorize word by word. By change a sentence or even a few words, yr 'definition' may not be able to captured all the condition inside.

The easier way is to memerise a definition a day.

As for Maths, there is not short cut, you need to keep practice and practice. Practice = take a pen and paper and do the problem, not just read the solution, reading the solution will likely end up a fail grade.
I use that method for my science N level (T syllabus) but didnt finish in time because i start too late!!! I scared i cant finish the O level one because i almost dont know whole book, maybe know roughly 5-10 chapter but there are total of 22 chapter ++ each for Chemistry and Physic.

Yeah like everyone says, maths you really must keep practicing!! Yai Jous for your O levels! Great to see that you are working hard so early!!
Thanks for your encouragement , i want to start early because all my friend is working now except for me and i get to study without any body disturbing me or tempting me to go out.
And i dont want to make any more careless mistake like my N level. I am aiming for 7-10 points for my next year O level. Wondering is that possible ??

Good luck for your endeavours - admire your perseverance in seeing this through.

Some of my tips that worked for me - however you do have to note that we all took our exams n years ago, and what worked then might not work now. So take these advice with a little caution...

1) For me, I'll typically write notes after reviewing a chapter. Helps me refresh/conclude my understanding of a topic, and helps for revision as well.

2) There's always a temptation to gloss over things, or memorize without understanding - don't do that. As one of my teachers used to advise me, "that lack of understanding (on a particular point) will come back to haunt you.". Of course, there's always some form of "hardcode memorization" required (e.g. maths formulas, etc).

3) What worked for me is to attempt as much O Level TYS as possible - helps reinforce your understanding, helps you get used to the format of the questions, and exposes you to potential weak areas (that you can reinforce on later).

4) Set a study plan - write down all your topics that you need to cover, and set a schedule. That way, things become more managable, and you know if you're on schedule (or not). Don't cram last min, as it'll backfire on you.

5) Last but not least, persevere - there will be some tough times where you'll want to pull your hair out, but you'll get there (or understand) eventually. Don't give up. Form study groups (with equally persevering friends though!) to help reinforce each other as you all go along.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

For me I just whack my 10 year series and ask the teachers for prelims of other schools, if you can do those paper easily, then its an easy A for your 'O' levels, of course, you need to get your concept right before you attempt the questions, don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of something.

Good luck for your endeavours - admire your perseverance in seeing this through.

Some of my tips that worked for me - however you do have to note that we all took our exams n years ago, and what worked then might not work now. So take these advice with a little caution...

1) For me, I'll typically write notes after reviewing a chapter. Helps me refresh/conclude my understanding of a topic, and helps for revision as well.

2) There's always a temptation to gloss over things, or memorize without understanding - don't do that. As one of my teachers used to advise me, "that lack of understanding (on a particular point) will come back to haunt you.". Of course, there's always some form of "hardcode memorization" required (e.g. maths formulas, etc).

3) What worked for me is to attempt as much O Level TYS as possible - helps reinforce your understanding, helps you get used to the format of the questions, and exposes you to potential weak areas (that you can reinforce on later).

4) Set a study plan - write down all your topics that you need to cover, and set a schedule. That way, things become more managable, and you know if you're on schedule (or not). Don't cram last min, as it'll backfire on you.

5) Last but not least, persevere - there will be some tough times where you'll want to pull your hair out, but you'll get there (or understand) eventually. Don't give up. Form study groups (with equally persevering friends though!) to help reinforce each other as you all go along.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
I understand all those point. =) but i cant work well with a study plan and i dont have a study group as all my friend dont want to pursue for a O level cert , they rather take a longer way. Which i cant go by the longer way to get in to the course or profession i want. I want to be a psychology but for them i dont know what they really want. I hope to find a study group as soon as possible because i dont want to flunk my Private O level next year. Your reply help me a lot and i will make it in to good use as well as teach other people. :)
For me I just whack my 10 year series and ask the teachers for prelims of other schools, if you can do those paper easily, then its an easy A for your 'O' levels, of course, you need to get your concept right before you attempt the questions, don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of something.
i have never been afraid to ask teacher but next year i might have a problem with it because i am not going in to any school, maybe the only chance is to ask tuition teacher as well as my school teacher because im asking for prelim paper from my secondary school teacher. =) Thanks for your help.

I understand all those point. =) but i cant work well with a study plan and i dont have a study group as all my friend dont want to pursue for a O level cert , they rather take a longer way. Which i cant go by the longer way to get in to the course or profession i want. I want to be a psychology but for them i dont know what they really want. I hope to find a study group as soon as possible because i dont want to flunk my Private O level next year. Your reply help me a lot and i will make it in to good use as well as teach other people. :)

If you're taking tuition at a tuition centre, that would help you to find common friends with the same goal - but see that you're taking private tuition? Or alternatively speak to your (ex) secondary school teacher to see if he/she can introduce similar friends to form a study group?

Sleep at 6-7pm and wake up at 3am to study. You remember stuff better.

i burn my textbooks mix with holy water and drink. next day exam everything correct. A+ grade.

TS should try one of those dedicated intensive tuition programs that is specially customised and tailored for each individual. It can change a F9 student who has been failing all his subjects for years into a A*STAR scholar in just a matter of months. :bsmilie:

Last edited: