Milky Way Galaxy photographed in Singapore recently.

Just to contribute my milky way shots rather than creating another thread on milky way.

https://flic.kr/p/nkT1bL

https://flic.kr/p/nkSXsv

Taken in East Coast Park Area G. Single exposure but quite ridiculously processed in Lightroom. No Stacking involved.

Last edited:
2nd photo is nice..are they seen with naked eyes?

Just to contribute my milky way shots rather than creating another thread on milky way.

https://flic.kr/p/nkT1bL

https://flic.kr/p/nkSXsv

Taken in East Coast Park Area G. Single exposure but quite ridiculously processed in Lightroom. No Stacking involved.

Nice shots Issac! Thanks for sharing.

Do check out the Milky Way photos shot in Singapore by local professional photographer Justin Ng:
http://www.justinngphoto.com/2014/0...y-way-from-light-polluted-skies-of-singapore/

2nd photo is nice..are they seen with naked eyes?

Milky Way, even at its thickest brightest portion, is extremely difficult to be seen with naked eyes in Singapore even on a very clear night due to light pollution. In Singapore, it is usually captured and made visible on a photo using long exposure photography followed by applying image post processing techniques.

Yes, practically they can't be seen in Singapore Island due to very heavy light pollution scattering. However, I managed to sight a very faint milky way last year back in Semakau Island; granted that was where light pollution is still medium to me but much lesser compared to mainland.

And yes, it the Justin Ng images that actually encourages me to shoot milky way (plus a few good friends inviting me to join shooting with them). And since I'm pretty broke to go any of Justin's expensive workshop/ trips, self-study seems a better alternative to me :)

Some nice shots here, and my heart goes out to you.
I had a nice clear night last night, and decided to try a couple of Pentax 67 lenses on the X-Pro. I shot the Eta Carina nebula area, as it was overhead. The CA ruins the pictures so they won't be used again.
The night was nice, cold but nice so I tried the Fuji XF35mm and found it to be a wonderful lens, very nice in fact. If I can work out how to upload some pictures I'll do this. (I always struggle when listing items for sale, this will be the same I guess, Flickr attachments??).
Gary

Attachments

• $Scorpius_XPro_XF35at56_ISO800_600s.jpg
    $Scorpius_XPro_XF35at56_ISO800_600s.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
And another, of the Crux-Carina area, overhead last night.

$Crux_Carina_XPro_XF35at56_ISO800_300s.jpg

just to share a shot i took 2 nights ago right out from my window in the east side.. Photo is heavily PP to be able to see the milky way

If anybody wants to plan an outdoor shoot pls lemme know! Am interested to meet and learn more. Thnx!

@gbealnz - Good shots! Nice clear sky in New Zealand. Eta Carina rising so high to be able to see it overhead! That's good enough reason to go down south! :)

Last edited:
@baatanhaa - Nice attempt! You are so lucky to have such a window view! No excuses not to explore astrophotography! :)

@gbealnz - Good shots! Nice clear sky in New Zealand. Eta Carina rising so high to be able to see it overhead! That's good enough reason to go down south! :)

Then do it, and let me know when you do, I can point you in the right direction for quite a few places throughout the country.
I did quite a few more the last few nights, with both the Fuji XF35 and the (old)Summicron R50, got some nice shots, very happy.
Wide-field camera lens astro shots are sooooo much simpler.
Gary

Nobody doing outdoor shoot?

Nobody doing outdoor shoot?

These few days the Moon getting brighter and and nearer to Milky Way. Will be tough to shoot Milky Way under such conditions while battling light pollution. Last week of this month should be better where Moon rises late after midnight.

Hi seniors,
I am going for a night stay at UK Farm, Johor this weekend.
Is there any place I can rent a decent binocular for some fun star-gazing?
Or, what setting to use if i am using my DSLR/lens for star gazing ?
Bulb mode using 24mm@f1.4 or 200mm@f4 with IS?

I don't think binos make a difference for stars. Just too far away. Am new at this too, but wide angle is more often used for long exposure stars. U can put longer exposure without star trails, and also wide angle better for sky+stars and abit of foreground(e.g. a tree branch or leaf etc). Approx 20-25sec if u using FF camera with ur 24mm lens. Also what I hear people say is step down to smaller aperture to help focus to infinity. Hope that helps! And a tripod is a must! With remote release! BTW can share more info on UK farm?

Hi seniors,
I am going for a night stay at UK Farm, Johor this weekend.
Is there any place I can rent a decent binocular for some fun star-gazing?
Or, what setting to use if i am using my DSLR/lens for star gazing ?
Bulb mode using 24mm@f1.4 or 200mm@f4 with IS?

If you're shooting 24mm, try the following settings:
15 seconds, F2.0, ISO 1600 or 3200

If shooting 200mm:
2 seconds, F4.0, ISO 1600 or 3200

Turn off IS, icebear78 is correct. Tripod + remote release is required.
Your FOV will be very limited @ 200mm, unless you know what you're shooting. At 24mm, you should get a fairly wide FOV.

PP for levels/curves and you'll be amazed at what you can capture!

This is not the Milky Way, but what you can get through some processing of multiple shots. Taken from a HDB flat window.
1000D, 55-250 (yes, the cheapo lens.. not even v. II or STM...)

Omega Centauri

Omega_Cent_01_sml_zpsfacbbba2.jpg~original

Last edited:
Hi! I'm trying to take photos of the milky way. I tried last Sat at Marina Barrage ard 8pm but failed to capture it. I was using Justin Ng's app to locate the milky way & also his steps which he used to take the Sentosa pix. Anyone can offer advise as where I done wrong ? Is 8pm too early to shoot ?

Hi! I'm trying to take photos of the milky way. I tried last Sat at Marina Barrage ard 8pm but failed to capture it. I was using Justin Ng's app to locate the milky way & also his steps which he used to take the Sentosa pix. Anyone can offer advise as where I done wrong ? Is 8pm too early to shoot ?

The prime time to capture the milky way is around June to August when the center of the milky way is in the night sky. Now only the outer arm of the milky way is cover the night sky. Plus the amount of light pollution in Singapore is making it even harder to capture.