Milky/blur stream of people photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2006
Singapore
www.facebook.com
Hi

I'm quite curious about this but google + search functions on CS can't seem to bring up any article on it.

How does one create a photo whereby only one person in the middle of the frame is in focus but the people walking around person all becomes like a blur/milky kind of stream?? :dunno:

Much help is appreciated :)

mount camera on tripod, using low shutter speed like 1 sec or even slower, you have to use smaller aperture or ND filter to get the correct exposure.

make your subject stand in the middle of crowd and hold still.

than you shoot.

there are many ways to do this,

i have not done it before, but i have seen something on it in a mag somewhere, it involves finding a busy street with a lot of people milling around, making sure that they do not walk into the path between your subject in non-motion and the camera too much, and probably nd filters to extend exposure. it's basically a long exposure trick, but your subject cannot be too near the camera, because there will be inevitable motion by him/her.

another way i can think of involves layer work and two photographs. one with your subject there, and one with the people streams, with the same framing exactly using a tripod. then blending it is up to you.. doing it well is of course essential.

yet another way can probably involve flash photography.. but that is not something i am acquainted with. maybe one flash to freeze the person there, but it is not easy to do because you have to make sure that no one else is around else you will get them to. perhaps bulb mode with black card might do the trick, but i am not entirely sure if it's feasible.

You're typically dragging the shutter. If you're confident you can handhold at 1/15 or 1/2s and the busy crowds will be rendered a blur. Play around with the shutter speed to get the "blur" you like while your subject is standing still.

The other kind of blur is called a panning shot where if your subject is moving you train the camera on him, and with a dragged shutter you can render everything else not moving along with the lens a blur.

mount camera on tripod, using low shutter speed like 1 sec or even slower, you have to use smaller aperture or ND filter to get the correct exposure.

make your subject stand in the middle of crowd and hold still.

than you shoot.

Thanks for the response! Smaller aperture meaning f2.8?

there are many ways to do this,

i have not done it before, but i have seen something on it in a mag somewhere, it involves finding a busy street with a lot of people milling around, making sure that they do not walk into the path between your subject in non-motion and the camera too much, and probably nd filters to extend exposure. it's basically a long exposure trick, but your subject cannot be too near the camera, because there will be inevitable motion by him/her.

another way i can think of involves layer work and two photographs. one with your subject there, and one with the people streams, with the same framing exactly using a tripod. then blending it is up to you.. doing it well is of course essential.

yet another way can probably involve flash photography.. but that is not something i am acquainted with. maybe one flash to freeze the person there, but it is not easy to do because you have to make sure that no one else is around else you will get them to. perhaps bulb mode with black card might do the trick, but i am not entirely sure if it's feasible.

Yeh, i've seen it in Fashion magazines so that's why i'm curious how they do it. I know it involves a form of slow shutter speed but i've also heard that we require an ND filter to cut the exposure by at least 2 stops (correct, no?). And if so, what kind of ND filter do we need? There's quite a fair bit of ND filters out there and i'm not sure which one. :dunno:

You're typically dragging the shutter. If you're confident you can handhold at 1/15 or 1/2s and the busy crowds will be rendered a blur. Play around with the shutter speed to get the "blur" you like while your subject is standing still.

The other kind of blur is called a panning shot where if your subject is moving you train the camera on him, and with a dragged shutter you can render everything else not moving along with the lens a blur.

I'll definitely need a tripod cause i have shaky hands :bsmilie: I'm not quite sure how you do the panning shot though. :confused:

Thanks for the response! Smaller aperture meaning f2.8?

aperture goes the other way ... f2.8 is large, f32 is small ...

if i start counting from f1.0, the next stop is f1.4, then f2.0, f2.8, f4.0, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22, f32 ...

the smaller the f-number, the larger the aperture
the larger the f-number, the smaller the aperture

aperture goes the other way ... f2.8 is large, f32 is small ...

if i start counting from f1.0, the next stop is f1.4, then f2.0, f2.8, f4.0, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22, f32 ...

the smaller the f-number, the larger the aperture
the larger the f-number, the smaller the aperture

Oh i see~ *face palm* Totally forgot about it for a moment X_X;;

Status
Not open for further replies.