28. 1989 - 1990 Operation Just Cause, United States invades Panama
29. 1991 - First Gulf War
30. 1991 - Slovene War of Independence
31. 1991 - 1995 Croatian War of Independence
32. 1992 - 1995 Bosnian Civil War
33. 1994 - 1996 First Chechen War
34. 1998 - 1999 Kosovo War
35. 1999 - Second Chechen War

20th Century is a century of war, with WWI and WWII causing the most number of losses in human lives.
Above stated are the major conflicts fought, excluding civil wars from African nations and short term wars.

The chains human revolution which cause a war for revenge, for the desire of more land, for the difference of idealogy, for the difference of races and ironically, to start a war for pride.

Will there be peace in 21st century?

Don't think you can really break it down into micro-conflicts as you have. More sensible to look from the perspective of the underlying tensions and geo-politics that spawned each set of conflict.

E.g. 30, 31, 32 and 34 can be put down to the disintegration of Yugoslavia, 13, 17, 19, 21 on the post-India/Pakistan/Bangladesh independence/breakup and surrounding sectarian/religious tensions, 14, 16, 20, 22 down to the establishment of Israel on the former Palestine and the post 2nd world war exit of the colonial powers from the middle east.

I personally don't think that the 20th century had any greater propensity to strife than preceding eras, just that the ability to prosecute a conflict had become much more efficient and deadly.

I don't think the 21st century will be much different, although I don't believe there is much likelihood of a major conflict like WW2 ever occurring again.

Astin said:
Maybe wait another 4 years for a new US president to give the world a chance of peace.

Spot on Astin:thumbsup:

what is your take on the most recent war on afganistan and iraq?

dkw said:
I don't think the 21st century will be much different, although I don't believe there is much likelihood of a major conflict like WW2 ever occurring again.

You think that... Well... One thing I learnt... Humans never did learn from history... It will happen... Trust me.... it will... The only question is the timing - Early or late in the 21st century....

"I dont know what the World War 3 will be fought with but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". Einstein

Human beings are always at war with each other ever since the word 'private property' come about. There will never be peace.

US will never give the world peace cos they use the most natural recources in the world and will want cheap stuff/keep some for themselves. They also need to establish themselves as the world's leading military power.

And, technically, the Korean war has not yet ended. The DMZ still exists! :)

Alpc said:
You think that... Well... One thing I learnt... Humans never did learn from history... It will happen... Trust me.... it will... The only question is the timing - Early or late in the 21st century....

In a sense that a prolonged conflict will not occur. Too many countries have their finger on a nuclear trigger, they will press that or back off before suffering that many casualties on the battleground.

Cheers,

dkw said:
In a sense that a prolonged conflict will not occur. Too many countries have their finger on a nuclear trigger, they will press that or back off before suffering that many casualties on the battleground.
Cheers,

Nuclear weapons can cause massive destructive.
Ironically, it is a weapon to maintain peace, avoid total confrontation and the balance on tensions between nations.

afbug said:
Human beings are always at war with each other ever since the word 'private property' come about. There will never be peace.

US will never give the world peace cos they use the most natural recources in the world and will want cheap stuff/keep some for themselves. They also need to establish themselves as the world's leading military power.

And, technically, the Korean war has not yet ended. The DMZ still exists! :)

flipping the chronicles of the human history is like flipping thru a novel of war...

see every great story always have war in mind... hence human exist because of war & die because of it...

i think the roots of all evil r race & relig0n... seems like most of the wars started because of either one reason....

reno77 said:
"I dont know what the World War 3 will be fought with but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". Einstein

frm a book that i read, World War 3 is termed as the period of Cold war between America and Russia, with Russia's invasion of the Middle east.

World War 4 is actually termed as the War against Global Terrorism.

however that is what that particular author feels actualli... ;)

kegler said:
i think the roots of all evil r race & relig0n... seems like most of the wars started because of either one reason....

war do not start from race or religion. war starts when there is a clash of ideologies, policies, and of course when people are suspicious of the other, and wishes to take action forcibly, a invasion/ occupation might be imminent.

however we cannot blame a war is caused by a particular religion because no religion in the world teaches their believers bad things. therefore i can conclude that the term "WAR" is being used when a particular country had a clash of interest(s) between a country, or because of the difference in their ideologies which has caused the conflict.

Politics is the cause to the rise and fall of the a great empire. Not a race, nor a religion will bring down a great empire. the greatness of ones race and religion can be traced back into the ancient times where it is the so called the Prime time of Religion, and Traditional Culture.

and through Education and westernisation, we see oursevels drawing away from our ancient roots.. therefore if theres something definate we can blame for the cause of wars, that will be Politics.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
flipping the chronicles of the human history is like flipping thru a novel of war...

see every great story always have war in mind... hence human exist because of war & die because of it...

Its mother nature's way of keeping the human population in check ya? :) If not, earth will be unhealthy due to over population.

Status
Not open for further replies.