Military Discussion : Hiroshima and Nagasaki (Atomic Bombing 1945)

Is it necessary to use Atomic Bomb against Japan ?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
The First Nuclear Combat Bombing

On August 6 and 9, 1945, the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed by the first atomic bombs ever used in warfare.
Hundreds of thousands were killed, follow by more died later in the years that follow.

The discussion is : Should Atomic Bomb be use against Japan ?

Prelude to The First Nuclear Combat Bombing
By May of 1945 an exhausted and overrun Germany had surrendered. The war in Europe was over.
The United States, aided by Great Britain, moved closer and closer to Japan. Massive suicide attacks by the Japanese Kamizake and determine Imperial Army's defence caused great losses to the Pacific Fleet and US Army/Marines, but did not deter its drive.

The big strategic question was how to force Japan's surrender.

Operation Olympics, the pre-planned massive invasion of Japan by Allied forces was underway.
But was that the best answer? The cost in lives for both Allied forces and Japanese civilians would be heavy.
Another option would be : the use of Atomic Bomb



P.S. Correct me if any of the above information is wrong. :sweat:
Purely military discussion only.
 

Geckorian

New Member
Feb 10, 2004
88
0
0
#3
Alamak I type my thesis already then thread gone :sticktong

King Tiger said:
How about your own personal point of view ? :)
It's gonna be a challenge for me to post more than a one liner. :D

The nips fought "pretty much to the last man" in iowa jima. Guess the G.I Joes tot about dat and figured it's either them or us. Self preservation. The emperor just nids a lil' nudge that's all.
 

judeseah

New Member
Jan 20, 2005
474
0
0
51
1 Dalvey Road
#5
voted yes,
but always feel the 2nd bomb was not needed.

met a japanese veteran 20yrs ago while on a cultural
xchange programme,
he was prepared to lay his life down
for a cause he believed.
still feels that they liberated the SE Asia region
and that the Emperor should not have surrendered.
he was in Singapore when the A bomb blast in Japan.

:(
 

Bobman

Deregistered
Oct 30, 2003
2,346
0
0
Jungle
www.monobeauty.com
#6
judeseah said:
voted yes,
but always feel the 2nd bomb was not needed.

met a japanese veteran 20yrs ago while on a cultural
xchange programme,
he was prepared to lay his life down
for a cause he believed.
still feels that they liberated the SE Asia region
and that the Emperor should not have surrendered.
he was in Singapore when the A bomb blast in Japan.

:(
yo....still awake har???? i would say that using A bomb on civilians is the most crueliest thing. But what to do, that time the Japs also cruel to civilians too.
 

Geckorian

New Member
Feb 10, 2004
88
0
0
#7
I believe there was talk about the political significance of a second bomb. To keep the Commies in check.
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#8
judeseah said:
voted yes,
but always feel the 2nd bomb was not needed.

met a japanese veteran 20yrs ago while on a cultural
xchange programme,
he was prepared to lay his life down
for a cause he believed.
still feels that they liberated the SE Asia region
and that the Emperor should not have surrendered.
he was in Singapore when the A bomb blast in Japan.

:(
if i'm a jap, i'll do that as well...

and i'll feel proud that i serve my country... even thou i do not know whats the reason behind it, nor do i know why... its an honour & duty for me as a soldier to obey the commands...

anyway, in chinese there is a saying... (dunno how to write chinese...) shen zhe wei wang, bai zhe wei kou...

who ever wins the war, writes the history... simple as that, just think... what if germans and japs win the war... what would we be having in our history textbook... Our glorious victory on Pearl Harbour is our 1st step to dominating the world. good enuff?
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#9
Bobman said:
yo....still awake har???? i would say that using A bomb on civilians is the most crueliest thing. But what to do, that time the Japs also cruel to civilians too.
war is cruel... just think about it... if u are the stronger party, u will wan total control over the weak. the law still works til today... look at the animals, without war, we turn to the animals. or did we turn animals ourselves?
 

Bobman

Deregistered
Oct 30, 2003
2,346
0
0
Jungle
www.monobeauty.com
#10
If the Japs won the war, I am certain that AV movies are easily accessed and no ban on Nude/Naked Photos ....... kekeke... JK
 

afbug

Senior Member
Aug 19, 2004
482
0
0
Planet SG™
#13
I think 1 is enough. But to make Jap surrender not easy, so maybe they decide 2.
 

Simon_84

New Member
Mar 18, 2004
1,479
0
0
bukit batok
#14
actually if i'm not wrong the japs are prepared to lay down their lives for the sake of their empire and their emperor.
in their mindset is like an honour to do so.
during the closing stages of pacific war,as the us were advancing to capture the japanese islands to lauch bombers into tokyo.
the japs made certain laws that their soilders are to die combat instead of surrendering.
japanese soliders that surrendered are viewed as cowards and bring great dishonour to their families.

thats why quite a number of pow's were killed because the japs viewed them as cowards when they surrendered.
thats when the japanese secret police commited mass killing war crimes.

so i say having 2 bombs dropped over in their country is pretty fair to them so as to greatly pressure the emperor into putting an end to japanese resistance.

anyway what goes around,comes around.
we can only learnt from history and not let it happen again.
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,522
0
0
singapore
#15
Dr. Leo Szilard, (62, is a Hungarian-born physicist who helped persuade President Roosevelt to launch the A-bomb project and who had a major share in it) states it pretty well, "The only conclusion we can draw is that governments acting in a crisis are guided by questions of expediency, and moral considerations are given very little weight, and that America is no different from any other nation in this respect."

http://www.peak.org/~danneng/decision/usnews.html

USA had the weapon to completely cow the Japanese fervour and they used it. Coincidently, the atomic bombs were just what the peace faction needed to out-duel the Japanese military faction into unconditional surrender.

Documents on the decision to use atomic bombs on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,776
0
0
Eastern Bloc
#16
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
if i'm a jap, i'll do that as well...

and i'll feel proud that i serve my country... even thou i do not know whats the reason behind it, nor do i know why... its an honour & duty for me as a soldier to obey the commands...
This is flawed thinking... It's just like the Germans serving Hilter for a cause that is cruel and serving a country blindly is plain wrong.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
who ever wins the war, writes the history... simple as that, just think... what if germans and japs win the war... what would we be having in our history textbook... Our glorious victory on Pearl Harbour is our 1st step to dominating the world. good enuff?
This I agree totally, the victor writes history.

../azul123
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,776
0
0
Eastern Bloc
#17
foxtwo said:
USA had the weapon to completely cow the Japanese fervour and they used it. Coincidently, the atomic bombs were just what the peace faction needed to out-duel the Japanese military faction into unconditional surrender.

Documents on the decision to use atomic bombs on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
That is what they wanted people to believe after seeing the effects and the extent of innocent lives lost, it became political. The A-bomb has got to be one of the worst thing ever in the history of mankind, next to the massacre of Nanking... the Japanese weren't angels but their civilians don't deserve the punishment that their governements did.

../azul123
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#18
azul123 said:
This is flawed thinking... It's just like the Germans serving Hilter for a cause that is cruel and serving a country blindly is plain wrong.


This I agree totally, the victor writes history.

../azul123
I think nobody would know the truth, and we now think we know all, but are we seeing the truth?

Now we are having wars of a different way, economical warfare... do we really know if the govt is doing the right thing? Do we know the real reason behind every policy made... or maybe if entering WTO is the best? or is there another reason to it? we will never be entitled to information like that...

so to the germans & japanese soldier who fought, they fought for at least a reason, but are we fighting for a reason now? nobody knows. even thou they lost, i admire their motivation to carry on the fight... and nobody knows why they went to war anyway, or maybe the real reason. On our history textbook, it only says Hitler is bad, so what he did wrong etc, den everybody hantum him... den finally Allied wins... Axis lose... but if Hitler won... then who will be labelled as bad, and our history textbook won't be writing anything about the jews as well...
 

azul123

Senior Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,776
0
0
Eastern Bloc
#19
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
I think nobody would know the truth, and we now think we know all, but are we seeing the truth?

Now we are having wars of a different way, economical warfare... do we really know if the govt is doing the right thing? Do we know the real reason behind every policy made... or maybe if entering WTO is the best? or is there another reason to it? we will never be entitled to information like that...

so to the germans & japanese soldier who fought, they fought for at least a reason, but are we fighting for a reason now? nobody knows. even thou they lost, i admire their motivation to carry on the fight... and nobody knows why they went to war anyway, or maybe the real reason. On our history textbook, it only says Hitler is bad, so what he did wrong etc, den everybody hantum him... den finally Allied wins... Axis lose... but if Hitler won... then who will be labelled as bad, and our history textbook won't be writing anything about the jews as well...
If one can't tell how a government is a fascist, no one can guide, individuals owe it themselves to scrutinise the answers for themselves... at the end of the day it is their lives and their voices to ask hard questions and take no bull-**** from no government.

By the way, they serve you not the other way around. I know talk is cheap... but we owe it to ourselves, I really admire those who fight for truth but end up to be looking like bad guys and yet they still fight on for the truth. I hope history will look back and honour guys like that, it doesn't happen often but studying their struggle and reading their point of view is an eye opener. What we normally think is the right thing is often far from the truth.

Again, talk is cheap.. didn't want to debate this more as it will only get into politics which this is not the forum for.

../azul123
 

kit_fisto

New Member
May 25, 2005
133
0
0
32
At home
#20
Even if they didn;t use the A bomb, the Jap will surrender anyway. They've already lost Iwo Jima, and the Americans are preparing to invade mainland Japan. Those fighting in Europe are preparing to begin training to invade Japan when they suddenly dropped the A bomb. Its only a matter of time.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom