Migratory Bird Season 2017 | Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve | Singapore

macVince

Apr 14, 2010
SG
www.flickr.com
Migratory Bird Season 2017 | Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve | Singapore

Migratory birds are beginning to arrive in increasing numbers from this month. The numbers should increase significantly in Oct and Nov with rarer ones to be seen. I share a few photos I took in the last two weekends. Common Redshanks and Greenshanks are present; some birders/visitors have sighted an Eurasian Curlew.

Bring along a pair of binoculars; the birds are small and far away. Often they are camouflaged in the mudflats they're quite hard to spot from afar.

(Oh! Please help to maintain the peace and quiet within the Reserve should you go; I observed there were some visitors who talked too loudly for far too long, especially when the groups were larger in numbers.)

#1 A Common Red Shank caught a Crab for Breakfast
by Vince, on Flickr

#2 The Ripples created by wading Common Red Shanks are quite nice to see when the water is calm
by Vince, on Flickr

#3 Common Red Shanks and an approaching Crocodile
by Vince, on Flickr
A small flock of shanks arrived and was resting and feeding. The was a sudden agitation caused by an approaching Salt-Water Estuarine Crocodile (from the right).
Some shanks flew further away, others bravely stayed; but thankfully, none was eaten. I didn't see the croc when photographing this until I was home viewing the image on a big screen.

#4 Milky Stork and Little Egret (with fish in beak)
by Vince, on Flickr
The Little Egret was busy finding small fish and food and eating while the Milky Stork just followed behind (and watching hungrily).
Later, the stork did try to look for food in the murky water but it couldn't find anything to eat.

#5 Loneliness
by Vince, on Flickr
Loneliness, or when alone in a calm and tranquil surrounding, provides an opportunity to reflect and think about life for a while and count the many blessings one has in life's journey.
Like this common redshank which has journeyed thousands of miles from the north of Asia, passing through Singapore on its journey south towards Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand,
it has a journey of life of its own to make despite being small and quite insignificant among the thousands of others it is journeying with.
Just like us!

- - - - -

Go and have a look for yourself in Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve. It is quite refreshing and interesting.

Last edited:
Human Noise is a problem, especially on Saturdays, when there are more people walking around, or when a large event is held there. I once encountered about 80 students passing through on a Saturday morning, some laughing, some talking loudly, some singing gaily along the trails. They played treasure hunt games, palm painting, tug-o-war, and who knows what else.