Migration to Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KL Barracuda

Mar 28, 2006
Hi Guys,

I am saving to migrate to Canon Mark III by the end of the year, would appreciate any advise on which lens to choose for this body.

(I am curerently using a Nikon D200, 10.5 fisheye, 12-24, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 VR f2.8 and SB800 which I use mostly for event and wedding shoots.).

I will pick up a 70-200 f2.8L (IS), however I am at a lost as to the 10-70mm range. I was eyeing the Canon 17-55 mm f2.8 but was informed that this lens cannot be used on a Mark III.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :dunno: Cheers:dunno:

Hi there...

You're right, the Mk3 will not be able to use the EF-S series of lenses.

For my 2c, I'd say for the range, you might want to consider either the 24-70 f2.8 or the 17-40mm f4. from my recollection, you'll be hard pressed to find a zoom that will adequately cover entire 10-70mm range.

It all depends at what length you usually shoot at. From your current setup, it appears that you're pretty well stocked with wide-angle lenses - which makes me think that the 24-70mm might be a little long for your liking (but the extra light might be handy since your cover events).Either that or the 17-40mm f4 (since the M3 noise is SOOO good), and then a 50mm prime (1.8 if you're on a budget).

All depends on budget as well... 2 lenses might be better suited for the range (ie 16-35 + 24-70mm); just choose one that you will use predominantly first, then save for the second down the track.

Just my 2c again.:angel:

Hi there...

You're right, the Mk3 will not be able to use the EF-S series of lenses.

For my 2c, I'd say for the range, you might want to consider either the 24-70 f2.8 or the 17-40mm f4. from my recollection, you'll be hard pressed to find a zoom that will adequately cover entire 10-70mm range.

It all depends at what length you usually shoot at. From your current setup, it appears that you're pretty well stocked with wide-angle lenses - which makes me think that the 24-70mm might be a little long for your liking (but the extra light might be handy since your cover events).Either that or the 17-40mm f4 (since the M3 noise is SOOO good), and then a 50mm prime (1.8 if you're on a budget).

All depends on budget as well... 2 lenses might be better suited for the range (ie 16-35 + 24-70mm); just choose one that you will use predominantly first, then save for the second down the track.

Just my 2c again.:angel:

Thanks Stephen,

I did consider the 17-40mm but was discouraged by the "slow" f4 factor which is essential as most of my shots are taken indoors or low light. Whereas for the 28-70, it would not be wide enough for my activities. Many thanks for your input.

Cheers

Thanks Stephen,

I did consider the 17-40mm but was discouraged by the "slow" f4 factor which is essential as most of my shots are taken indoors or low light. Whereas for the 28-70, it would not be wide enough for my activities. Many thanks for your input.

Cheers

Bro, just for your info

The Canon 28-70L has been replaced by the 24-70L, which is a significant 4mm wider.

Also, you may want to consider the new and very excellent 16-35mm f/2.8L USM MkII for your wide angle needs.

however I am at a lost as to the 10-70mm range.

I suggest breaking down that range to a the standard and well trusted 24-70 L and 16-35 L ( i dont like the 17-40)

You probably dont need to go to the 10mm -15mm range because the 1D3 is a 1.3x factor.
its really not that necessary to go that wide..

I am curerently using a Nikon D200, 10.5 fisheye, 12-24, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 VR f2.8 and SB800 which I use mostly for event and wedding shoots.).

If you want to match your existing range, it will be tuff..

1) 10.5 fisheye = only nikon has that lens.. I wish canon could make one like that.. If you want to stick with Canon ONLY - the only fisheye they make is 15mm fisheye

2) 12 -24 = Canon does not has a EF mount lens in that range.. You will have to compromise with 16-35mm f/2.8.. Other option which is slower would be Sigma 12-24 f/5.6, I am sure you wont like that.

3) 17-55 f/2.8 = There is no L covering that range. you should seriously look at 24mm-70mm f/2.8.. You wont go wrong with that selection. I have been seriously thinking about it, about my finance minister has not approved it.

Summary - you need these two lenses 16-35mm f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8. If you are a prime person, you may want to get 50mmf/1.4.. this lens + 16-35mm will be a nice light combo specially if you think you dont need that 35-50 and 50-70 ranges.

You can always use the Sigma 8mm if you want fish eye.

My uncle just converted from Nikon D200 to Canon 1DM3 too. He got the 16-35MII, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8IS. He is now a very happy man!

Thanks Stephen,

Cheers

Yah... That's what I thought when you said you covered events and weddings. Still remember the first time I got caught indoors at an event carrying nothing but f4. Was kicking myself. Thankfully I was only a backup at the event.

Mind you, don't forget that the Mk3 does give you the option of nice clean high ISO (see my pics in the Mk3 thread (here. If f4 too slow, just bump up the ISO by a notch and you've got your 2.8 again. Of course, there's no substitute for fast glass but it's handy to know the Mk3 can perform at those levels. :sweat:

I'm supposing that you're on a constrained 'budget', saying that you have to save for the Mk3 (and seeing you're already getting the 70-200 f2.8), but are you more likely to shoot wide or 'long' (circa the 40-70mm range)?

Since two 'L's (to cover this range) are going to cost about $4k (assuming new) and If i were on a 'budget', I'd probably get the 16-35mm first, then contemplate a 'cheaper' 50mm prime (starting at about $170+) to tide me over until the finances allow. At least then you'll have 16-35mm, 50mm, 70-200mm. Later you can get something to 'properly' fill the 35-70mm range if you want.

I started backwards in some respects.... Bought the nifty 50mm f1.8 first (with kit lens), then 24-105 for standard walkaround/general purpose (not for indoors), followed by 70-200mm. Needed a wide so then got 16-35mm covering my 'range' then my 'sex-in-a-glass' lens the 85 f1.2II:kiss:

I wish Canon would release a 24-105 f2.8 though, that would ROCK.:devil: .

Will try and hunt my kids down later with my 24-105 and bumped up ISO. I want to see how the f4 will go on the Mk3 myself... Might help you in deciding whether f4 really is too slow or not.:angel:

Have you considered 24-105L (daily) and 100-400L (when you need the zoom) combination?

Cheers.

Thanks Stephen,

Cheers

Hi Barracuda...

I just did the test shot of the f4 lens here. I was pleasantly suprised... Definitely useable.

wah... dint know there is so many ppl that is changing camp becos of the 1dmkiii, i myself is guilty too ;p

i will be changing to 1dmkiii + 500f4 + 580exii + 70-2002.8is + 16-35 2.8 + 501.4 after i offload my d70s + 70-2002.8 + 501.8 + 18-70 + sb800 + tc1.7

the capability of the camera fully meets my needs.. :kiss:

wah... dint know there is so many ppl that is changing camp becos of the 1dmkiii, i myself is guilty too ;p

i will be changing to 1dmkiii + 500f4 + 580exii + 70-2002.8is + 16-35 2.8 + 501.4 after i offload my d70s + 70-2002.8 + 501.8 + 18-70 + sb800 + tc1.7

the capability of the camera fully meets my needs.. :kiss:

Welcome to the bright side!!! :):thumbsup: What you are getting will off set you by more then $20K:bigeyes:

Welcome to the bright side!!! :):thumbsup: What you are getting will off set you by more then $20K:bigeyes:

i hav been eating fresh lawn & stop purchasing things for more than half a year already :bsmilie: originally intended to get the nikon lens and upgrade the d70s body, but heck, canon come out with the 1dmkiii, and left right center up down everything meet my needs.. the attraction is too strong...

i will save up for a few more months, then combine with the money from selling the nikon stuffs, should be ok liao :thumbsup:

or i might just get the mkiii and 500 only... and use the nikon for my shorter range needs.. still thinking..

I doubt you will just stop at the 500mm for your MkIII. ;) I am sure you will want to use it for as many types of shoots as you can.

Thanks for all the poison from our "White" brothers..............I will go for the 16-35MII f2.8, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8IS.

Special thanks to Stephen and Akdwived who helped me in open my eyes on the new Canon world

:D Cheers;p & thanks again

I just hope that you'll be happy with your decision.

I've known quite a number of people who have changed camps and then changed back.

The only thing that I will say about the Mark III is that it does control noise well, but the other thing that you might want to consider is whether does it control color noise well.

Again, not attempting you not change camps but just a thought for you to consider before you jump over.

BTW, SB 800 would work extremely well with a canon. I've tried it before and if I am not wrong, one or two CSers are using nikon flash on their canons.

...The only thing that I will say about the Mark III is that it does control noise well, but the other thing that you might want to consider is whether does it control color noise well....

Hohoho, you might wanna check out samples from one of our brothers, posted recently in this subforum, on noise at ISO3200.

I just hope that you'll be happy with your decision.

BTW, SB 800 would work extremely well with a canon. I've tried it before and if I am not wrong, one or two CSers are using nikon flash on their canons.

Can the sb800 slot into Canon seamlessly, any interfacing issue, does the controls and remote control still work, etc? I'm switching camp (to Mk3) and I was about to sell my SB800... thanks for any info.

Status
Not open for further replies.