Middle of Circular Polarizer Dirty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racoon31e

Oct 12, 2007
Hi

I just got a circular polarizer from my friend who no longer has a use for it. The middle of the filter (the part in between the 2 rings) seems to be dirty. Is it possible for me to separate the 2 rings and clean them? If yes, how do I detach them?

Thanks.

PS: It's a Hoya filter

Mar 15, 2008
Singapore
Hi

I just got a circular polarizer from my friend who no longer has a use for it. The middle of the filter (the part in between the 2 rings) seems to be dirty. Is it possible for me to separate the 2 rings and clean them? If yes, how do I detach them?

Thanks.

PS: It's a Hoya filter
Hi,

I am not too sure. Maybe other forum members can help. In a lab setting, I will use ultrasonicator to clean it by vibrating out the dirt and grime. But I guess the water may go in between the two glass pieces. So may not be a feasible idea.

In a home setting, maybe you like to try using a tweezer (available outside) and slowly scrape out the dirt.:) But a word of warning, the tweezer is sharp so be careful not to scratch the aluminum filter ring or even worse, the filter glass itself.

Cheers,

chngpe01

Staff member
There is actually liquid, if I am not mistaken some form of lubrication between the 2 glass. If you open it that's the end of your polarizer.

Once I had a Hoya CP and the from glass just dropped off, oily liquid was found dripping. That's how I found out about about it.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom