Mid range telephotos lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ileaf

Mar 28, 2004
Reservoir
hi guys,
looking to upgrade my humble tele kit-lens: AF75-300mm f/4.5-5.6(D).
have some in-mind, Minolta AF 100-300mm(D) or Sigma AF 70-300mm DL Macro Super.
anyone compared their performance before?
or you guys have other recommendations on mid-range telelens?

since you already have D, I would recommend the Sigma one. Because it has a macro feature 1:2, which is in addition of what you currently have. The macro function is superb, for that price range, Sulhan have successfully shoot some macro with that lens before. at $350+-, a good buy, but can find minolta mount, I am not too sure.

I don't see the need for upgrading your lens at all! The focal lengths and aperture of your alternative lens are so very similar.

If you are planning to do macro, then go ahead and get the extension tube (close-up) or a real macro lens (100mm macro). Much more cost effective solution than the lens you suggested.

ileaf said:
hi guys,
looking to upgrade my humble tele kit-lens: AF75-300mm f/4.5-5.6(D).
have some in-mind, Minolta AF 100-300mm(D) or Sigma AF 70-300mm DL Macro Super.
anyone compared their performance before?
or you guys have other recommendations on mid-range telelens?

Optical quality wise, the AF100-300mm APO (D) should be better than the AF75-300mm (D). But like what Colin has said, there's no significant improvements if you change to any of those lens.

Unless you opt to go for lens with f/2.8 apertures or any of the G lens, I suggest you can hang on to your current AF75-300mm.

Cheers!

hi guys,

thks for your valuable advice.
hm, i think u guys are right. i'll have to hang on for a while, and save some money, probably save for the 80-200mm f/2.8 G lens. (~2K++?)
reason why i was thinking of upgrade is, whenever i enlarge my print to ~ 8x12, found some color abberation. probably a APO lens will correct that.
anyway, lens are investment, i got to save for the best!

thks guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.