Mid Range DSLR camera to buy

ZhangHW

May 23, 2011
Hi,
I'm NEW to photography. I wish to purchase a DSLR camera - mid/semi pro model. It's between Canon & Nikon. I will be taking mostly Sports & Scenic shots (sorry if I did not express myself clearly in photography jargons)

A. Any comments between Canon 7D & Nikon D7000.
B. Or any model I should consider?
C. Should I buy from the IT SHOW? Or u have a shop to recommend?

Please give me your kind comments.
Thank you so much for reading this thread.

Raymond.

We have priceguide for different camera brands, do a search and you will find it (hint: Look at marketplace section). In that area, and under each brand's pricelist, we have a range of shops that clubsnappers normally visited.

Also... like I have always state when someone asked this type of question...

all the DSLR functioned as they are meant to. They have equivalent IQ... do your own homework... then go down to the shops and get your hands on those cameras, find the one that you feel best, then get it.

What works for me, or any members might not work for you.

Oh... don't just look at Nikon and Canon, there are Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic too. And all these made good cameras.

Plus if you ask which is better (7D or D7000) type of question... Nikon lover and user will say D7000, Canon lover and user will say 7D, and people will start throwing technical mumbo jumbo that will only leave you more confuse, so back to the standard:

"GET THE CAMERA THAT YOU FEEL BEST SUITED FOR YOU"

Last edited:
only can say Dont buy at IT SHOW... its not cheaper, most of the freebies seems usless to me..

as for shops. you can try MScolor(amk) Tk(funan) Slr(funan) n more which i cant rem, well u can give them a call for the price too =). good luck to u

Hey,
Thanks for replies.
I welcome any comments; whether it's biased towards a certain brand. U are absolutely right that I have to feel it myself.
What I was hoping is if someone can tell me GENERALLY of the pros & cons between the 2 brands/models maybe the accessories are expensive, whether it has upgrade potential or perhaps able to identify what one model has that the other lacks vice versa.
Again, any comments, any is very much welcome!
Thank you.

Maybe you want to look at the sticky..
There's one on 'which dslr to buy'..

ZhangHW said:
Hey,
Thanks for replies.
I welcome any comments; whether it's biased towards a certain brand. U are absolutely right that I have to feel it myself.
What I was hoping is if someone can tell me GENERALLY of the pros & cons between the 2 brands/models maybe the accessories are expensive, whether it has upgrade potential or perhaps able to identify what one model has that the other lacks vice versa.
Thank you.

I am sorry to tell you that there is no better brand, since it largely depends on individual preference. There are no real general pros and cons between systems that are not linked to personal preference.

As for feature sets comparisons, you can get more accurate information faster looking at review sites like dpreview.com

Prices at IT shows are usually not that good. I would strongly recommend against buying at shows. You might want to go down to some mega stores to try the cameras for yourself but not buy there. You can also get a hands on feel at Nikon service center (fuji xerox tower) or canon showroom (vivo). Just remember to bring your own memory card to try. And check the specs online to make sure you bring the correct type of memory card for the model you are interested in.

As for buying from IT shows, just do a quick search, and read from there.. its much faster than waiting for people to re-type what they already did for so many times..
Generally, most people would recommend against buying at these shows..

which camera better or which brand, depends on ya budget and preferences, the best is to go down, feel play test the camera u have shortlisted, do some research, see which brands offers what u need for future upgrade, eg: lenses, flashes,

the best is avoid buying at IT shows, some of the shops outside can match the same freebies given at it show, at a lower price point...

What I was hoping is if someone can tell me GENERALLY of the pros & cons between the 2 brands/models

Have you read the reviews? What has your research so far told you? Is in-body anti-shake, fast AF in live view, fast AF in Video important to you? Do you need an articulating LCD?

maybe the accessories are expensive,

About the same between both.

whether it has upgrade potential

All DSLR cameras do. Do you have the upgrade potential is the real question.

or perhaps able to identify what one model has that the other lacks vice versa.
Thank you.

Basic research will tell you that already. What have you done so far? Or are you expecting people to give you all the answers?

able to identify what one model has that the other lacks vice versa.

ok. here goes

Canon has the EF-S mount. Nikon lacks it
Nikon has the F-Mount. Canon lacks it

Canon uses flash guns with the name "Speedlite". Nikon lacks this
Nikon uses flashes with the name "Speedlight". Canon lacks this

and the list goes on and on.

all camera brands and manufacturers are different for a reason. if you keep drawing up a benchmark of "has this will buy, doesn't have this won't buy", you'll never make a purchase.

go and feel each camera. molest them if you must. feel the handling.

then you'll know.

it's like a degree. it's a piece of paper that says you graduated with knowledge. but only after hands-on experience, you'll know how to apply the knowledge.

I do feel that a comment which implies 7D is better than D7000 for sports photography (and mind you, there are many different kinds of sports, including chess :) ) is a bit hard to substantiate.

I'm a self-confessed Nikon fanboi and I use the D7000.
Having said that the 7D beats the pants off the D7000 when it comes to continuos shooting mode with 8fps and it also has a larger cache. Heck even the D5000 has a larger cache. I bemoan the loss of my precious D5000.
But I still do not regret my decision to go Nikon. Mostly ergonomic reasons. Love the D7000.

Last edited:
To me, just because a camera can machine gun more shots per second doesn't automatically make it more suitable as a "sports" photography camera :)

Thats my only point.

I'm not trying to imply that D7000 is better, either.

To me, just because a camera can machine gun more shots per second doesn't automatically make it more suitable as a "sports" photography camera :)

Thats my only point.

I'm not trying to imply that D7000 is better, either.

Ppl nowadays moving towards the 30fps DSLR.
In fact its already avaliable. Its called a video cam :D :D

Ppl nowadays moving towards the 30fps DSLR.
In fact its already avaliable. Its called a video cam :D :D

hahaha yeah :)
I think a lot of people have this mindset (I might even call it a misconception) that high fps = better sports photography camera.
It is oversimplifying it too much, I feel.

fmeeran said:
I'm a self-confessed Nikon fanboi and I use the D7000.
Having said that the 7D beats the pants off the D7000 when it comes to continuos shooting mode with 8fps and it also has a larger cache. Heck even the D5000 has a larger cache. I bemoan the loss of my precious D5000.
But I still do not regret my decision to go Nikon. Mostly ergonomic reasons. Love the D7000.

Eh? D5k has larger cache than D7k? That I do not know....
It really doesn't make sense though, what's the FPS of D5k?

D5k - Frame rate was 4 fps, but it went on for 50 jpegs or 11 raw (actual usage on my old D5k. dunno what the specs actually say).
D7k does 6 fps, but can only capture about 14 jpegs or 9 raw (as seen on my D7k).

No idea why the jpg to raw ratio is different for the two cameras.
The 50 jpeg shots go a long way when trying to shoot BIF on a lens which focusses as leisurely as the 150-500. :)

Hi,
I'm NEW to photography. I wish to purchase a DSLR camera - mid/semi pro model. It's between Canon & Nikon. I will be taking mostly Sports & Scenic shots (sorry if I did not express myself clearly in photography jargons)

A. Any comments between Canon 7D & Nikon D7000.
B. Or any model I should consider?
C. Should I buy from the IT SHOW? Or u have a shop to recommend?

Please give me your kind comments.
Thank you so much for reading this thread.

Raymond.

Hmm... Are most of ur friends using nikon or canon?
I think it would be good that if u really have no preference, follow the majority, only then u can compare settings and learn faster