microwaving silica gel for use in dry box


Status
Not open for further replies.

audibum

New Member
Oct 23, 2006
143
0
0
44
east
#1
what's the proper method?
1 min in microwave then leave to cool for about 10 mins then put back in box?
is that ok?
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#2
what's the proper method?
1 min in microwave then leave to cool for about 10 mins then put back in box?
is that ok?
Yes, you can microwave it for 1 min and let it cool for 10 mins. But, you need to think if you cool it in open air, it will absorb moisture in air again, so you need metal plate to let it cool faster. Don't do it on rainy day as humidity outside is high.

If you put on sealed container, the silica gel will have humidity at that moment (no much humidity will be release to air since it is on sealed container, the silica gel will absorb it again).

Both method can by used as long as the silica gel become blue (not pinkish color).

FYI, blue silica gel contain cobalt chloride (for blue humidity indicator) which is known as carcinogen (cancer caused agent). There is already orange silica gel, which is not carcinogen. But I don't think it is available yet in Singapore. The stock of blue silica gel I think is still huge :sweat: .Better safe than sorry.

Buy dry cab for peace in mind.

Regards,
Arto.
 

fireframe

New Member
Dec 5, 2003
174
0
0
#3
Yes, you can microwave it for 1 min and let it cool for 10 mins. But, you need to think if you cool it in open air, it will absorb moisture in air again, so you need metal plate to let it cool faster. Don't do it on rainy day as humidity outside is high.

If you put on sealed container, the silica gel will have humidity at that moment (no much humidity will be release to air since it is on sealed container, the silica gel will absorb it again).
Include a piece of kitchen tissue into the container to absorb the released moisture. When it's done, use a baking tray to cool it sufficiently before returning it to storage. Should be much faster than 10 minutes. ;)
 

fotojoy

New Member
Mar 10, 2005
264
0
0
Singapore, NE
#4
Since the blue color silica gel contains cancer causing chemical, is it not advisable to microwave it??? :dunno: 'cos family will be using the microwave for its normal purposes... hmmm :think:
 

kcuf2

Senior Member
Dec 29, 2005
1,777
1
38
KFC
#5
DEfintely 100% very very very very very very very unrecommended to microwave it...

Worst still, if ur family is going to use it for normal purposes..wat if the fumes evaporates and sticks on the top of the oven. Imagine u put ur food inside, then the fume vapour at the top of the oven condenses and the droplets fall down into ur food how???

imagine u microwave it, and then any1 passes by the oven and sniffs in the fumes...

Just throw away ur silica gel, and get a new bottle. Or even better, buy a dry box.
 

fotojoy

New Member
Mar 10, 2005
264
0
0
Singapore, NE
#6
What i did was after microwaving .. I let the door of the microwave opened.
After a while, I cleaned the entire inside of the microwave.

That was when I first tried microwaving silica gel. Now I think I won't do it anymore.
Must get a digicabi.
 

miniUltraman

Senior Member
Feb 27, 2006
2,747
0
0
#8
one bottle of silica gel is like only $3.50 and you want to risk your health to save this small sum of $?
I agree! I bought a bottle 4 years ago.. still got more than half bottle left... just throw away the pink ones ;)
 

digisnap

New Member
Dec 1, 2006
557
0
0
#9
Just buy a dry cabi. Microwaving silica gel sounds potentially harmful-- even if you try to clean the microwave, you're not sure about the materials inside the mechanisms that were stuck by the fumes.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom