Microsoft Word may not be legal to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the comments in that thread is really hillarious; especially when they are clearly not backed by law. Then again, maybe US laws are so weird they are actually true! :)

The US patent system is a weird thing to begin with... In my job industry, there was a company who patented the word 'edge', and threatened to sue countless companies (even Marvel!) who tried to use that word in their titles. He never won any law suits of course, but that's also because most companies chose to change their titles because of the patent.

You cannot patent a word; you probably mean trade mark. And I don't see anything wrong with trademarking the word "Edge" any more than it is weird trademarking the word "crocodile".

The US patent system is a weird thing to begin with... In my job industry, there was a company who patented the word 'edge', and threatened to sue countless companies (even Marvel!) who tried to use that word in their titles. He never won any law suits of course, but that's also because most companies chose to change their titles because of the patent.

Both sides are wrong, but mostly the company holding the patent and of course, the courts in eastern Texas.

The U.S. Patent Office often approves patents which have zero (proven) applications and that are too general to fix a reasonable purpose. The Canadian company seems to be a patent troll and eastern Texas courts get plenty of them because they rule in favour of them often.

If there was something serious in the patent, a lot of current software would be in trouble, not just MS Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.