Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
Anyone using MS wireless optical mouse?
Is there a way to turn off the optical light when not in use? Or is it mean to be on all the while even though my computer is off?

If you dont move it for awhile it will turn itself off. Even if its idle for a few secs the light will become dimmer...

Yah, logically when there are no movements in a period of time it should turn off, however my experience is it will blink from time to time..... so the only way is to take out the batteries which i found it rather troublesome......

i think logitech or others are the same, not only microsoft...

and its quite power saving as well (those newer version more power saving...) the new ones can use up to 1/2 a year without changing batteries. older ones about 1-2 months... not much complains here..

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i think logitech or others are the same, not only microsoft...

and its quite power saving as well (those newer version more power saving...) the new ones can use up to 1/2 a year without changing batteries. older ones about 1-2 months... not much complains here..
agree, my old 1st generation Logitec optical mouse finish the battery within 2-4 weeks, the new MS one last for months.
It was meant to be blinking even when computer is off, I think only a few of the notebook model optical mouse have a on/off switch on the mouse, Gigabyte one if I am not wrong.

i think the problem comes when you pack the wireless mouse along in the bag with your laptop. i did that and the batteries went dead in a day.. I'm left with a dead mouse outside with my laptop and I had to use the tine touchpad... that just means I have to manually remove the batteries everytime I pack the mouse in my bag.

yanyewkay said:
i think the problem comes when you pack the wireless mouse along in the bag with your laptop. i did that and the batteries went dead in a day.. I'm left with a dead mouse outside with my laptop and I had to use the tine touchpad... that just means I have to manually remove the batteries everytime I pack the mouse in my bag.

i've got a MS laptop one, with RF dongle, when you insert the dongle back on the mouse, it just off itself...

the micrsoft wireless mouse that i have doesnt turn off too. the red light just dims after a while.

Logitech has one model that says it will automatically turn off and on with the computer.

Well, as long as the battery can last me several months, I'm really mind having it on all the while.

My MS wireless optical mouse is driving me nuts...the working range is getting shorter and shorter and finally became so unresponsive that i had to revert to a normal USB mouse...change battery also no use...anyone else have the same experience?

danster said:
My MS wireless optical mouse is driving me nuts...the working range is getting shorter and shorter and finally became so unresponsive that i had to revert to a normal USB mouse...change battery also no use...anyone else have the same experience?

Welcome to the club. I hate it to bits. But Since I am a long time user of the Natural Typing Microsoft Keyboard..when I bought a replacement..it came with the bloody mouse. I could not get them separated. They just have to sucker you into getting it as a set if you got the natural keyboard. Stupid manual say it can be 6 feet away and it still works. BS!. 10 inches away and I am already having problem with it working consistantly.

Plus that wireless mounse might look very nice with all the buttons and stuff but for drawing..it is a nightmare for me to use to draw. Sometime drawing something very subtle and delicate or even trying to use the polygon lasso to edge out an object...you almost complete the loop and then it lost the freaking signal and POP!... you lost the whole lasso thing and have to start again!!! Also too bulky and heavy! I still had my optical WIRED logitech basic mouse. Small, light and with a sharp enough optic pickup, it is so accurate I stop using a tablet years ago to do my design work and illustration.

Btw, I took the @%#$ MS mouse to the kitchen, brought the hammer out...and suffice to say, I sprinkle its remain down my rubbish chute where it belongs.

I have a logitech KB+mouse set (I don't support m$ as a rule, let my $$ go to the smaller guys), and the batteries haven't gone flat after 3-4 months of use. Pretty good I'd say.

I am using an Apple wireless optical mouse and I love it, it is my pet :bsmilie:

U can switch it off totally by sliding the white cover under the mouse to cover the optical sensor ... If u don't understand what I mean, just reply to this post :cheers:

Ooops, just realised u're talking abt the MS wireless mouse, sorry ... Does it have a similar cover at the bottom? The cover could be well disguised, u won't know it's a switch until u slide it :dunno:

sammy888 said:
Btw, I took the @%#$ MS mouse to the kitchen, brought the hammer out...and suffice to say, I sprinkle its remain down my rubbish chute where it belongs.

Wow, that's a little extreme :) but setiments shared...

i WAS using an MS wireless optical mouse.. until it made me lose in Warcraft.. :angry: it went back to the box after that and it's still there.. :bsmilie:

Anyway, you're right about the light.. it doesn't go off.. i tried to find some kind of switch but there isn't. I just simply took out the batteries, because the slightest shake would activate it. There isn't anything you can do about it.. that's the frustrating thing.

Also, i feel that wireless optical mouse/s have a slightly delayed reaction.. specially noticeable if you game... doesn't respond as well as corded optical.. mouses. mice?

Went back to the ol' wired mouse.

I bought the freakin' ms optical mouse for $75 buckeroos when it came out.. :sweat:

Pinkishy said:
i WAS using an MS wireless optical mouse.. until it made me lose in Warcraft.. :angry: it went back to the box after that and it's still there.. :bsmilie:

Anyway, you're right about the light.. it doesn't go off.. i tried to find some kind of switch but there isn't. I just simply took out the batteries, because the slightest shake would activate it. There isn't anything you can do about it.. that's the frustrating thing.

Also, i feel that wireless optical mouse/s have a slightly delayed reaction.. specially noticeable if you game... doesn't respond as well as corded optical.. mouses. mice?

Went back to the ol' wired mouse.

I bought the freakin' ms optical mouse for $75 buckeroos when it came out.. :sweat:

Lag is only noticeable in the first generation 27MHz mouse, when the RF report rate is slower. I cannot notice any lag on the newer products, but I am not a serious gamer so I might be less sensitive to it.

Mouse intended for desktop use do not need a power switch. When there is no motion detected the mouse will go into a low power mode (dimmer LED light) to conserve power. It cannot toally shut down, but what it does is to check for motion at a much lower rate, and regain full tracking capabilities when motion is detected. My MS wireless optical mouse has been running for 1 year with the initial set of batteries.

If you need to cary the mouse around (with you notebook PC) then it is better to use the notebook mouse products. Most of them have some kind of power switch that is either activated by docking the receiver or toggled by hand.

I used the first generation MS optical mouse and it sucked, literally. Batterys had to be replaced every 2-3 weeks. Finally, components started melting effect after one year, it went straight to mine bin. And yes, lights does'nt turn off.

Now I got a MS laser mouse 6000 for Christmas, no light at all, and its still working fine.

FWIW, i think laser mice are the way to go. i got a Logitech MX610 and never looked back. No shining LEDs, and lasts much longer on one AA battery than the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse on two.

ST1100 said:
FWIW, i think laser mice are the way to go. i got a Logitech MX610 and never looked back. No shining LEDs, and lasts much longer on one AA battery than the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse on two.

What kind of battery life are you getting on the MS and logitech, and which MS optical mouse did you compare the logitech with? Since I can get 1 year battery life on my MS optical mouse, it is hard to imagine what you mean by much longer battery life on the Logitech mouse with 1 battery, especially when the logitech laser mouse has not been out in the market for more than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.